TH Status.

Help Support Steer Planet:

PDJ

I have been going through several of the upcoming shorthorn sales, and have just one wish. (Besides a lot more money ;D)  It would be nice if they would put the THC where a person can see it, and in a consistent spot, like next to reg number or such.

sjcattleco

PDJ said:
I have been going through several of the upcoming shorthorn sales, and have just one wish. (Besides a lot more money ;D)  It would be nice if they would put the THC where a person can see it, and in a consistent spot, like next to reg number or such.

Honestly in a perfect world the only TH carriers being sold would be steers!  I think its customary to put the  TH status at the end of the written description.

PDJ

sjcattleco said:
Honestly in a perfect world the only TH carriers being sold would be steers!  I think its customary to put the TH status at the end of the written description.
I agree that selling THC breeding stock is an issue, which is why I wish the status was more noticeable.  In some catalogs there are two or three paragraphs and the THC is at the end of the first, second or third.  sometimes capitalized sometimes not.  Just makes searching out the free cattle a little more time consuming, plus I need to break out the bifocals.

DL

PDJ said:
sjcattleco said:
Honestly in a perfect world the only TH carriers being sold would be steers!  I think its customary to put the TH status at the end of the written description.
I agree that selling THC breeding stock is an issue, which is why I wish the status was more noticeable.  In some catalogs there are two or three paragraphs and the THC is at the end of the first, second or third.  sometimes capitalized sometimes not.  Just makes searching out the free cattle a little more time consuming, plus I need to break out the bifocals.

This is an ongoing issue and IMHO they (whoever they is) do it that way so you (whoever you are) won't notice -many people won't spend the time to find the info or find their bifocals  :eek:  the goal is to sell the heifer not be transparent - you might also notice that many of the Shorthorn catalogs don't list PHA status despite the fact that Stinger (PHAC) is found in many pedigrees including all the Doubles (Double Stuff etc) and is responsible for the doubles being double carriers - ie THC from Improver PHAC from Stinger - its sell vs transparency and sell wins

kfacres

DL said:
PDJ said:
sjcattleco said:

This is an ongoing issue and IMHO they (whoever they is) do it that way so you (whoever you are) won't notice -many people won't spend the time to find the info or find their bifocals  :eek:  the goal is to sell the heifer not be transparent - you might also notice that many of the Shorthorn catalogs don't list PHA status despite the fact that Stinger (PHAC) is found in many pedigrees including all the Doubles (Double Stuff etc) and is responsible for the doubles being double carriers - ie THC from Improver PHAC from Stinger - its sell vs transparency and sell wins

how sad is that.. all to make a buck...  Almost makes you wish that the tests for these defects would have never came about.  don't you think that by ways of natural selection, we might not have this problem anymore?  Would have either elimanated itself, or spread rampant.. but more rampant than what it is currently? 

I think that if the tests were never developed, and people would have had these calves, most would just write it off as the cow got into something poisionous, or had some freak deal happen... wait, some of the double carriers are freaks anyways... (pop)

DL

sheps & shorthorns said:
how sad is that.. all to make a buck...  Almost makes you wish that the tests for these defects would have never came about.  don't you think that by ways of natural selection, we might not have this problem anymore?  Would have either elimanated itself, or spread rampant.. but more rampant than what it is currently? 

I think that if the tests were never developed, and people would have had these calves, most would just write it off as the cow got into something poisionous, or had some freak deal happen... wait, some of the double carriers are freaks anyways... (pop)

Natural selection?? Surely you jest - there is nothing natural about how bulls are selected to breed cows - those are decisions humans made - if natural selection was at work Heatwave would never have been born and all his clones would be a figment of a frankenstein imagination.

Historically speaking the mutations were identified and the tests developed because some breeders actually cared that calves were being born dead and deformed and because the frequency of the mutation in the population resulted in enough dead deformed calves for people to notice and some to care

I am glad the mutations were identified and the tests developed - a bunch of people in a bunch of breeds spent a bunch of time telling the masses they never had an issue with dead deformed calves they just (as you said) kept writing it off to a "freak of nature" couldn't be genetic,

hntwhitetail

I'm also glad the tests were and have been developed.  Some people like to figure out what is causing the problem instead of walking around w/ blinders on.