TH- What are the risks of using a TH positive bull?

Help Support Steer Planet:

snoit

What are the risks of using a TH positive bull? Will it only be a bad thing if the cow is TH and if so what are the chances of a problem if you do? If the cow is PHA is that ok?

hamburgman

Correct, just don't breed a THC to a THC, PH is a different deal and you can breed a THC to a PHC without worry.  I always think of this TH thing like red and black, black is dominant and good, while a carrier is managable, but a red or double TH calf is dead.

Okotoks

You might want to look at the Genetic defect thread I just bumped to help you make your decision.

Shawhill

being a new member of steerplanet, i have been enjoying all the different topics.    surely with a genetic problem the long term solutions is to breed it out or cull . ps i am from scotland uk

hamburgman

I am bias and you can call me the scourge of the earth, but i feel that if you are shooting for champions, it is a lot easier to do with a TH gene.

Aussie

Shawhill said:
  being a new member of steerplanet, i have been enjoying all the different topics.    surely with a genetic problem the long term solutions is to breed it out or cull . ps i am from scotland uk
(welcome)

Jacob B

To the original question, there are NO risks involved in breeding to a TH pos bull if the cow is neg.  If you do breed 2 pos.  together, there is still only a 25% chance that the calf will be born defective.  I happen to be a fan of some cows that are TH pos.  I would hate for them all to be put down just because of that.  Breed out of it, or around it depending on what you are trying to accomplish.  There are both good bulls and cows on both sides of it that you can find to mate without being worried about the negative outcome.

mark tenenbaum

Jacob B said:
To the original question, there are NO risks involved in breeding to a TH pos bull if the cow is neg.  If you do breed 2 pos.  together, there is still only a 25% chance that the calf will be born defective.  I happen to be a fan of some cows that are TH pos.  I would hate for them all to be put down just because of that.  Breed out of it, or around it depending on what you are trying to accomplish.  There are both good bulls and cows on both sides of it that you can find to mate without being worried about the negative outcome.////
WEll put:and what Ive said before without the eloquence_THIS is how all these really GOOD clean ones are coming about-and there are ALOT more thick cool choices today  than a few years ago. WHY???-someone bred a TH bull or vices versa to a clean one-and PRODUCED A GREAT ONE,or alot closer to great than what preceeded-and KLEEN. O0

hamburgman

very true mark, very true.  It will be interesting to see if these new clean sires start producing winners at major shows.

snoit

Thanks for the comments. I think i will test everything and make sure only one of the parents are a carrier. The thoughts of having a calf that looks like that and having to put it down is reason enough for me to be careful.

Chaco-taco

mark tenenbaum said:
Jacob B said:
To the original question, there are NO risks involved in breeding to a TH pos bull if the cow is neg.  If you do breed 2 pos.  together, there is still only a 25% chance that the calf will be born defective.  I happen to be a fan of some cows that are TH pos.  I would hate for them all to be put down just because of that.  Breed out of it, or around it depending on what you are trying to accomplish.  There are both good bulls and cows on both sides of it that you can find to mate without being worried about the negative outcome.////
WEll put:and what Ive said before without the eloquence_THIS is how all these really GOOD clean ones are coming about-and there are ALOT more thick cool choices today  than a few years ago. WHY???-someone bred a TH bull or vices versa to a clean one-and PRODUCED A GREAT ONE,or alot closer to great than what preceeded-and KLEEN. O0

agree with those above: you can use th/ph genetics........... its all about management, alot of people forget that little word