The Gods Must Be Crazy

Help Support Steer Planet:

xxcc

I remember when I took Cultural Anthropology when in college, the professor had us watch a movie titled "The Gods must be crazy," about a tribe in Africa that had it's culture affected by one lone empty Coca Cola bottle falling from the sky and landing in their village.

Well, I know God loves us, but I don't know who is nuts right now, but our weather has been crazy.  I live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains where they hit the Plains.  before May 15Th, we had less than 3.5" of previous precip in the previous 12 months and things were looking bleak.  One of my neighbors sold off 185 pairs, another sold off 100 pairs.  Everyone was out of hay, no grass was coming, not many were sure what to do except pray.  THEN, we got a soaker 3.5" of rain, and it has been raining since.  Rivers have been out of their banks, all the grass makes it look like an emerald sheet and all we have been waiting for is some heat to make things grow.  It's been cold, cold.

AND THEN, up west, it started snowing about 2pm yesterday afternoon, here, I woke up to 2" of snow this morning.  I'm out of hay.  I'm going to have to round some up to feed my cattle for who knows how long.  hopefully only maybe three days.  All our hay that was three weeks from cutting is smashed down.  I'm glad I didn't have a ton of money invested in a row crop.  I know God's not crazy, and won't give us more than we can handle, but this is a peculiar way to get a reprieve from a drought style disaster.

I thank God for every drop of moisture my land gets, but this feels like the song, 'Amarillo Sky'. :-\

showgirl2010

No kidding.  I have been feeling the same since the beggining of the year.  Starting out with not many calves on the ground due to the fescue toxicins because our bull proved good.  Barely had enough hay to make out the season.  The price of diesel is a killer when making hay.  And the price of corn and all other supplements is putting a hurt on us for showing. 

Now the weather, yes ours was crazy back in the winter with two major ice storms and lots of rain.  But no where near as much as my northern neighbors.

This small town I live in is very blessed compared to the places where the Lord's wrath is showing greatly.  Just hold on to the Lord and pray.  I am praying for all around the country.

Jamie

ELBEE

This is just a sign of the times! The Old Testament Profits and Apostle John saw all this, and more, very vividly.  Open up the Revelations, make sure your sitin' down and hang on to your hat, 'cause it's gonna get worse!

" The more God proves He's in control, the more man resents Him!"

Pray for our children!

aj

I hate to be a smart ass....but I'm not sure the end is near...but it could be. Just for the sake of arguement was the four glacier periods a sign of the times? Man was here in north america during the Wisconsin glacier period. I'm not sure that a tornado, or a volcanic eruption, or a flooding river is a sign of the end of the world.I am also not sure that it isn't to far off though. I just don't think it will be marked by a 3 inch rain. ;D

ELBEE

Oh, I agree, AJ. Peter thought the end was near 2000 years ago; I Peter 4:7.

"Just as a man can prevent trouble from thieves by keeping watch for them, so can you avoid trouble by always being ready for My unannounced return"

Jesus couldn't have made it any clearer than Matthew 24!

Dusty

Well let me know when the end is coming, because when Jesus comes back I want to try to look busy....

xxcc

I'm not sure the end is near either.  I know that because of communication, we are more aware of what takes places worldwide on a quicker basis.  What I do know is that a global economic collapse may not be a whole lot different than the story of Noah and the Ark.  I hope we all have our gardens planted and can remember how to can food.  I think there is going to be a pretty big pucker factor coming up.  I remember when "W" was elected and my uncle told me that I better go buy a new leather punch so that I could get used to tightening my belt up.  Hit hit it pretty close to right on the head.

Weather wise, I agree with the Glacier comment.  Here, we have a Lewis & Clark informational center and in one area, there is an exhibit that makes reference to weather, as they documented everything.  In one part, there was a replica of a hail stone from a storm they experienced.  The stone originally must have been about 2-2.5" in diameter and was mushed out like you had tried to flatten it with your hand.  It was about 1-3/4" thick and 3" in diameter.  That would have been modeled in the year 1804 along the Missouri River in North Central Montana.  To my knowledge, we have not had hail like that since then.  It's pretty amazing what weather can do.

xxcc

nice pics from this morning and some from a couple weeks ago.  the flooding wasn't even close to what happened in the rest of the country, but it was still impressive.

Attachments

• HPNX0410.JPG
    HPNX0410.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 283
  • HPNX0412.JPG
    HPNX0412.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 289
  • HPNX0416.JPG
    HPNX0416.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 279
  • HPNX0423.JPG
    HPNX0423.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 283
  • HPNX0424.JPG
    HPNX0424.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 280

xxcc

this morning

Attachments

• HPNX0442.JPG
    HPNX0442.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 277
  • HPNX0443.JPG
    HPNX0443.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 272
  • HPNX0444.JPG
    HPNX0444.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 281
  • HPNX0445.JPG
    HPNX0445.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 270

ELBEE

Dusty said:
Well let me know when the end is coming, because when Jesus comes back I want to try to look busy....

Well, all I can say, Dusty, is don't give everything you have away then set down on the curb and wait for Jesus to come by. A religious group did that back in "77", and obviously their still waitin'.

Ya think it'd hurt you any to "really" stay busy? Just occasionally glance up!

"When ridin' point, look back now and then to see if the herd is still followin'!"            <cowboy>  

oakbar

We've had so much rain this last week that the frogs all have woodticks from being up in the trees.  We fit all our calves with snorkels yesterday so they could nurse their mommas.

Seriously, we've had record floods in most of the rivers in North Iowa since Sunday.  We've been pulling wet carpet and everything else out of our basement where we've never had problems before.  Heck,  we live on a hill and it rained so hard that the water just couldn't get away fast enough and followed the basement wall until it filled up the window wells and just came in through the  windows.  Mason City has been without water for 3 days and much of the city was without water as well.  Charles City, Cedar Falls, Waterloo, etc. the list goes on for record flood levels.    All our water has to go diagonally from north central Iowa where we live to extreme SE Iowa where it dumps into the Mississippi.  Every town along the way will be flooded I'm sure.  Actually, our problems are small--there are people losing their homes and lives farthe downstream.  It must be much the same in Indiana and parts of Ohio from what I hear.  Let's keep all the flood victims in our prayers!!

Let's see--long, cold winter with lots of ice--cold, cold spring that never seemed to end--summer and floods--maybe the end is nearer than we think!!  My daughter has been freaked out lately because we watched the movie "Evan Almighty" about ten days ago and all we've had is rain since then and we've seen animals we rarely see otherwise--sometimes in pairs.  Maybe it really is time to build that Ark!!  We've sure joked about it recently!!  As Bill Cosby once said "What's a cubit?"