The great market crash

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

Out here........near Oakley Ks there is a ethanol plant. I think they use mainly milo. I think there are a couple good things about this deal. They do hire people. Milo fits our arid conditions better than corn(in my opinion). There is a by product. DDG dried distillers grain. DDG has made the protein feedstuff arena very very competitive. It may lean on guys trying to sell alfalfa but there are truckloads of ddg being produced. Most feedlots use it. A few cow calf guys when they can get it.

knabe

CAB said:
I don't understand why we built so many ethanol plants so quickly

fits the narrative.  as long as you can print money, nothing matters.

progressives have never believed in supply and demand.

they want to penalize profit and subsidize failure.

oakview

A local institution of higher learning produces and markets locker beef.  They will not feed ethanol plant by-products, they say it causes the fat to be yellow.  Their customers do not want that. 

I was in Fareway last night.  Ribeye steaks were $10.99/lb.  Glad I'm financing somebody's retirement.  I guess you can add them to the list of politicians I'm subsidizing.   

beebe

The other thing alot of the customers do not want is the GMOs that come with the by- product.

iowabeef

Corn itself is a GMO so I guess we shouldn't feed any corn to cattle to appease those who are uninformed.

beebe

There is a segment of the meat eating public that don't want corn fed beef.  I sell grass fed beef, and part of what attracts the consumers to grass fed beef is the non GMO aspect of it.  I know we now have GMO alfalfa but I won't have any of that.  I do not make the non GMO claim yet but people do ask about it.  I don't care if people want to eat corn fed or GMO fed, that is up to them.  I just offer a choice and get paid well for it.

aj

What market channel do you merchandise gmo free beef? Is it out of your freezer? Or another company?

CAB

I am curios as to what the average age of your cattle are at harvest time.
  I assume most of your grass fed beef is sold through private transactions to customers that you have developed a relationship with over time and then passed on to new customers by word of mouth.

beebe

aj said:
What market channel do you merchandise gmo free beef? Is it out of your freezer? Or another company?
I do not claim GMO free beef yet.  I do not use GMO products but they are everywhere so until I feel comfortable that I am free of it I do not make the claim.  I sell animals or halves and quarters.  I deliver to several different locker plants and the customers take it from there.

beebe

CAB said:
  I am curios as to what the average age of your cattle are at harvest time.
  I assume most of your grass fed beef is sold through private transactions to customers that you have developed a relationship with over time and then passed on to new customers by word of mouth.
I would say the average age is 27 months.  I like to have them finish about this time of year but as this thing grows I can see that I am going to have to be able to provide meat on an almost year round basis, so that might change things a little.

librarian

A Kansas farmer told me there was a fungus or smut in the milo that stayed in the soil unless sprayed at the right time. He predicted it would ruin milo as a Kansas crop.

Medium Rare

beebe said:
I would say the average age is 27 months.  I like to have them finish about this time of year but as this thing grows I can see that I am going to have to be able to provide meat on an almost year round basis, so that might change things a little.

Would you mind sharing some of the sires or lines you've had success with in this type of system?

beebe

Medium Rare said:
beebe said:

Would you mind sharing some of the sires or lines you've had success with in this type of system?
That will be difficult.  I raise most of my bulls.  If I am convinced that a bull has something to offer I will try it out but I usually eat a steer sired by the bull before it goes in to full sacle use.  I use what I call a synthetic combination of Galloway, Tarentaise and Shorthorn.  I have the epitomy of what X Bar calls mongrels.  My breed percentage does vary but my type does not.  The goal is to raise a frame score 4 cow that weighs 1250 pounds.  That makes a cow that can flourish in my environment and produce a grass fed animal.  I am now using a Wagyu bull on my first calf heifers.  I am still figuring out how to use that best but it looks good.  I emphasize tenderness.  The Galloway component is quite important.

librarian

beebe said:
Medium Rare said:
beebe said:

That will be difficult.  I raise most of my bulls.  If I am convinced that a bull has something to offer I will try it out but I usually eat a steer sired by the bull before it goes in to full sacle use.  I use what I call a synthetic combination of Galloway, Tarentaise and Shorthorn.  I have the epitomy of what X Bar calls mongrels.  My breed percentage does vary but my type does not.  The goal is to raise a frame score 4 cow that weighs 1250 pounds.  That makes a cow that can flourish in my environment and produce a grass fed animal.  I am now using a Wagyu bull on my first calf heifers.  I am still figuring out how to use that best but it looks good.  I emphasize tenderness.  The Galloway component is quite important.
I am on similar quest as Beebe. I have found that using a bull like this https://fargo.craigslist.org/grd/5808574611.html
on Galloway cows, or an equivalent combination, works great. The extra time to finish is worth it in terms of mature flavor in the beef. These type cattle marble early, but cattle really do need to mature another summer to get that old fashioned flavor- I think. Photo is the Galloway cross from the type bull on Craigslist. That guy knows what he is doing.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20161015_0001.png
    wp_ss_20161015_0001.png
    863.9 KB · Views: 176

beebe

Medium Rare said:
beebe said:

I guess I really did not answer your question.  The Shorthorn influence comes fron DMH Minn Max Leader.  He is built like I want him to be and his calves have great dispositions.  He is a son of Chruachan Max leader 551 who was the top gaining bull over all breeds at the Midland BUll test back in the 70s.  He is out of a Haumont Maid of Promise 189 cow that is the mother of several good bulls.  The Tarentaise comes from a bull from Kit Pharo called Black Bonus.  He was a frame score 4 that weighed a ton.  His daughters have great udders and are very fertile and stay in shape well.  The Galloway comes from Sarah Bowman in Wyoming.  They are not real big but they are from old school certified meat sires and of course have a little more hair.  The steers that have that extra hair are always quite tender.

Medium Rare

beebe said:
I guess I really did not answer your question.  The Shorthorn influence comes fron DMH Minn Max Leader.  He is built like I want him to be and his calves have great dispositions.  He is a son of Chruachan Max leader 551 who was the top gaining bull over all breeds at the Midland BUll test back in the 70s.  He is out of a Haumont Maid of Promise 189 cow that is the mother of several good bulls.  The Tarentaise comes from a bull from Kit Pharo called Black Bonus.  He was a frame score 4 that weighed a ton.  His daughters have great udders and are very fertile and stay in shape well.  The Galloway comes from Sarah Bowman in Wyoming.  They are not real big but they are from old school certified meat sires and of course have a little more hair.  The steers that have that extra hair are always quite tender.

Thanks for the info, sounds like an interesting mix.

I've considered trying to stack the 189 cow by putting Minn Max on a Cherry Fillet heifer I've kept back. Ran into the owner of Maverick who is out of the 189 cow earlier today and it sounds like he's working well too.

beebe

I just had a KC Clipper Duke heifer calf out of 189.  I may use Max on her some day.