The Joy of Spring

Help Support Steer Planet:

Hilltop

It's great to have the snow for moisture...... to get the grass growing ..... but then the sun and Mother Nature decided to put a rush on things around here.......Here's a few pics.... of our lane...... and the road to get out....... lane is washed out now pretty much ... we have the truck parked out on the road so that we can get out of here if we have to....but farther down the road it is running across in a few places also... Crazy...... never seen this much water rolling across the road.. let alone the lane..... before..... we're waiting for the R.M. guys to come with the backhoe and  open up the grid road to help save our lane and the rest of the road!!!!!!!!! Town is is experiencing a whole lot of water rising on the riverbanks...the water and ice chunks are threatening to take out an old railroad bridge that is not being used anymore......

Attachments

• Spring run-off April 12, 2011 001.jpg
    Spring run-off April 12, 2011 001.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Spring run-off April 12, 2011 013.jpg
    Spring run-off April 12, 2011 013.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Spring run-off April 12, 2011 020.jpg
    Spring run-off April 12, 2011 020.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Spring run-off April 12, 2011 021.jpg
    Spring run-off April 12, 2011 021.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 142

justintime

I'm glad you live on a hill!  It is the same over here. I have seen our creek higher than it is right now, but I don't think I have ever seen as much water all over. My highway pasture is 160 acres and I doubt if there is 60 acres of it that doesn't have several feet of water on it. A road south of our place washed out today and this is the first time I have seen this happen there. There is miles of water there and it all won't run away. There will be hundreds of thousands of acres of land that will not get seeded this year. Several millions of acres never got seeded last year, and it could be more this year.  I keep telling myself that this still beats dust, and I still think it does, but it does bring another set of problems. Hope you can get out to get to the sale Saturday!

Hilltop

COME HELL OR HIGH WATER......WE'LL BE AT THE SALE......... I finally get to use that catchy phrase!!!!!!!  Holy Man... this is crazy..... I've included a few more updated pics ( a few hours later).... I could've gotten more recent pics. but it was getting dark.........  The water just keeps risin... "5 feet high and risin' Momma.."  Johnny Cash!!!    the R.M. counsellor come by just before dark and they can't open up the road because of all the flooding already downstream at town!!!!!!!!!Sask. Watershed Authority has shut them down!!! so I guess we'll just wait til the water subsides.. and see what damage is done......  even the muskrats are tired of fighting the raging water (in the pic.).....

Attachments

• 2nd set of pics April 12,2011 015.jpg
    2nd set of pics April 12,2011 015.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 2nd set of pics April 12,2011 016.jpg
    2nd set of pics April 12,2011 016.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 2nd set of pics April 12,2011 050.jpg
    2nd set of pics April 12,2011 050.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 2nd set of pics April 12,2011 051.jpg
    2nd set of pics April 12,2011 051.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 2nd set of pics April 12,2011 053.jpg
    2nd set of pics April 12,2011 053.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 128

Okotoks

Looks like you need to get a boat if you are going to the sale! Even though we still have quite a lot snow we don't have a lot of water yet. Over where we keep the yearling heifers they have their own little river going. Hope the flood recedes soon.

justintime

Two days ago, I did not think we were going to have much water around as the snow was melting slowly, and some of the water was getting away. We now have flooding everywhere and we never even got real warm. I went to town this morning, and there was no major water in one farm yard. Two hours later, I came by again to see water had spilled over a road and the house was completely surrounded with water and it looked to be about two feet deep. I suspect it is 8 ft deep in their basement by now!  The family were all standing on the road looking at the water pouring into their yard. I have never seen water like this in this yard before. Ayear ago now, we were dry and I was concerned we would not have enough pasture. We had bull customers who were not sure if they should be buying bulls or not because they may have to sell part of their cow herds to get through the year. A few weeks later it started raining, and we have probably had the wettest 12 months in history in these parts. Now I am wondering if I have enough pasture, but this time it is because we have so much under water.

CAB

Hope it gets better soon for you all up north!! Can't help but think about how much fencing is going to have to be done B4 cows get turned out.

upthecreek

Southern Manitoba is bad and getting worse.  The municipality where I live has been fighting water for over a week now and the levels are going up instead of down.  There are over 45 roads washed out in an area 12 x 24 miles.