The maine man calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

Top Knot

This is a 10 day old Maine Man bull calf out of a 3 year old Doctor Meyer daughter. He weighed 91# (with scale). Last year she had an 80# Grandmaster bull calf. This calf is improving every day as far as stoutness and body. Extremely clean fronted. His dam is high in her tailhead, one of the reasons I chose to use Maine Man on her.

533910_10151318860091266_1605542025_n.jpg

45356_10151318859256266_673337862_n.jpg

vc

Looks good now and has the look of one that will get better ans better with age, he does seem to have a little bit of that coll cocky look to him as well.

Clark Club Calves

Here is our Maine Man calf out of a Sun Seeker Cow.  I think he has is place on some cows.

Attachments

• Maine Man 1.JPG
    Maine Man 1.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 207
  • Maine Man 2.JPG
    Maine Man 2.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 201
  • Maine Man 3.JPG
    Maine Man 3.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Maine Man 4.JPG
    Maine Man 4.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 233

jd720

This is a Maine Man heifer out of a 3/4 Shorthorn cow. She is a dark blue roan under all that hair. She was only about 70 # at birth and was 10 days early.

Attachments

• photo (20).JPG
    photo (20).JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 194

Top Knot

I don't think I have a post-weaning pic of the calf above. He grew good on the cow, but got passed up by other calves after weaning. He was very heavy muscled and big boned, but was too tight in his muscle pattern for me. He didn't have much hair. Disposition was very good. That's the only Maine Man I had last year. I'll have 4 more in March. If they aren't looser, deeper, and hairier than the first one I won't be trying him again.

grandchamp58

I dont have a pic, but my friend has a really sweet Maine Man steer this year. Hes not quite as soggy/soft made as some may like and he lacks some muscle, but hes got an I-80 front end and is really stylish. He still has quite a bit of grow too.

HGC

We had 3 of them last year.  All tall, long bodied, very shallow and tight flanked.  They were thick but very round and tight in their muscle pattern.  They were all nice fronted.  I wouldn't waste my money.  There is ALOT better bulls out there.

Telos

HGC said:
We had 3 of them last year.  All tall, long bodied, very shallow and tight flanked.  They were thick but very round and tight in their muscle pattern.  They were all nice fronted.  I wouldn't waste my money.  There is ALOT better bulls out there.

I think. like some other bulls, he is cow specific. IMO, adding him on other Maine genetics or cattle that are bred fairly straight could be challenging. He sure looked like he did a good job on that Shorthorn cow as well as some others. I'd use him on higher percentage Angus that are more practical in their design.

jd720

I think Telos is right he has a place and should be used on a really soggy Angus or Simmy based cow. He will add the bone and hair at least that's how mine have been.