The new heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

ejoe326

I really am not trying to give you a hard time but why do you think she is swollen and in pain a lot of the time and is well off enough to breed?  I am afraid that one leaves me scratching my head. 

Has she never been in heat?  What has happened if she has been in heat and around other cattle?  Obviously she cannot tell you in words there is a problem so she is trying to tell you the only way she can:  kicking and walking sore.

What will you do with any calves you get out of her?  My experience is structure is passed along pretty strong.

Learn from my mistakes because I learned the hard way doing this.  I kept a cow about 17 years ago I HAD to keep.  She was too straight in the shoulder and had her good days and bad.  She went down one day and could not get back up even though the day before she had been walking the hills.  I was foolish enough to keep a daughter out of her who looked a lot more sound but still was not as sound as she should be and I knew it.  I got "lucky" and she didn't go down and stay down but was a lame as could be at 3.  I had a Great Uncle that was a masterful cattleman walk through my cows.  He told me I ought to be ashamed of myself for doing that to the cow.  I was.  And bad structure is a one way ticket to town around here.  Thankfully I haven't seen lameness issues from structure in my cows but it's only because I won't take the chance.

BLSC

She could be stiff just because you have her pretty fat from showing. Just a thought.

vc

I would get the vet to look at her as well, but I do have a few questions for you. How long is she tied with her head up every day, is she kept in a confined area or turned out in a large run, how hard have you been feeding her? We found that some calves seem to get pretty stiff if tied for long periods, we started tying them for shorter periods a few more times each day. They need to get out and exercise, if the vet does not find any serious problems with her, you may want to just turn her out in a pasture, take her off of the feed and see if she doesn't loosen up. If she does not improve, you may need to ship her, you may have to take a loss, but if she has structure problems and you breed her there is a good chance she will just pass those on, and you could lose more in the end.

OH Breeder

You asked so here it goes
If she's that straight it affects her mobility I WOULDN'T breed her. I would look for a more suitable heifer to start your herd with. As she gets heavier with calf it will only exaggerate the problem that she is having now. I would have her vet checked but the straightness is tough to breed out. The time money and energy spent on the structural messes your gonna get would be cheaper to start with a sound heifer. Your pictures though don't look that bad for her to have an issue from straightness.
From the pics- I think she needs more depth of body and width of base rib shape.j I would have her examined  first. If vet feels she is unsound due to structure ship her. If it is an easy fix go with an easy calving bull that can give her some depth and rib shape. I think OCC Legend would fit her pretty good.