The state of the planet

Help Support Steer Planet:

vanridge

trevorgreycattleco said:
Please. Give me a break. Let's take a vote. Start a thread. If I'm voted off I'll leave and never look back. Just because I call it like I see it you get offended. That's the problem with most people these days. All perfect and goodie goodie in public. Let's tiptoe through the tulips. Sing captain kangaroo songs and watch reruns of mr Rogers neighborhood. Heaven forbid anyone has a different opinion. Maybe some people know more about a certain subject. It could happen. Honestly.

I have kids too. young ones. they like to read over my shoulder when I am on SP. So my rule of thumb is that if I don't want my kid reading it then I don't post it. There are times when I've let my temper get the best of me, but it was still posted so that my boys can still read it. Different opinions are good. I try to teach my boys to walk to their own beat, but I also tell them they may NEVER do it at someone elses expense.

comercialfarmer

DLD said:
Just a thought, but since you're tweaking things anyway Jason, have you considered a subforum for the younger ones?  I don't mean that they can't still ask questions on the main forum, or that everyone can't read theirs, but maybe it would be a place for them to go with some of the conversations that seem to irritate some of the older posters.  At least one other forum I frequent has done this (Ford Truck Enthusiasts) and it seems to be pretty popular.  Don't know if it solves anything or is worth the trouble, but maybe it's something to think about...

I wondered something along those lines, but not necessarily making a division among age (as if you don't have influence of older members, who are the younger ones learning from?), but if a division among topics might be something to ponder.   

Something along the lines of:  Beginners, Showing/Fitting, Nutrition/Health, Breeds/Genetics, Politics/Religion  :eek:, etc...  ????

ZNT

Steerplanet does tend to get a little off course when it comes to being a cattle forum.  I'll be the first to admit that I read many of the N/C posts, but so many of these can start falling into a gray area. I read many of the posts, but tend to comment more on the cattle related posts.  

Secondly, I like to follow the philosophy that my grandpa, who was a very successful businessman, used when dealing with customers, and the public in general.  "Never discuss politics and religion."  I am not saying neither can be discussed or mentioned, but if there is anything that is going to offend and disenfranchise more people, it is these two topics. For as much that is said on this site about less government and less regulation, it only works if everyone is doing their part to be a positive influence to this site.  If people can not behave, there will be rules.

I will continue to read and post on steerplanet, and I will continue to be a positive contributor to the site.  If everyone shares this same goal, then steerplanet will continue to be a great site that the entire family can read and learn from.

justintime

DLD said:
Just a thought, but since you're tweaking things anyway Jason, have you considered a subforum for the younger ones?  I don't mean that they can't still ask questions on the main forum, or that everyone can't read theirs, but maybe it would be a place for them to go with some of the conversations that seem to irritate some of the older posters.  At least one other forum I frequent has done this (Ford Truck Enthusiasts) and it seems to be pretty popular.  Don't know if it solves anything or is worth the trouble, but maybe it's something to think about...

At first I thought this was a good idea, but the more I think about it, I don't see any need for this. Personally, I don't see many differences between a 12 year olds questions, or a 25 year old that is just starting with their first livestock. I think it is important for these "beginners| to be able to pick the brains or discuss various topics with those who have been in this business for longer periods of time. I am not sure how much information a young kid is going to get from a subforum of younger members. I have no problem with someone asking a question that to me, is pretty basic in nature. All though life, we all learn by asking questions and hopefully we get some good advice to learn from. Where I get upset, is when I see some grown ups, sho should know better,insulting and ridiculing young members who are just trying to learn. Steerplanet is a forum... and a forum for all.... young,old, beginners and life long producers. We can all learn from each other and I think it is important for different generations to communicate together. There seems to be less of that happening in today's society and I don't see that as being necessarily a good thing.

obie105

ZNT said:
Steerplanet does tend to get a little off course when it comes to being a cattle forum.  I'll be the first to admit that I read many of the N/C posts, but so many of these can start falling into a gray area. I ready many of the posts, but tend to comment more on the cattle related posts. 

Secondly, I like to follow the philosophy that my grandpa, who was a very successful businessman, used when dealing with customers, and the public in general.  "Never discuss politics and religion."  I am not saying neither can be discussed or mentioned, but if there is anything that is going to offend and disenfranchise more people, it is these two topics. For as much that is said on this site about less government and less regulation, it only works if everyone is doing their part to be a positive influence to this site.  If people can not behave, there will be rules.

I will continue to read and post on steerplanet, and I will continue to be a positive contributor to the site.  If everyone shares this same goal, then steerplanet will continue to be a great site that the entire family can read and learn from.

I agree. Was always taught to not talk politics or religion. Get tired of the political posts.  See enough of the junk on tv.

DLD

justintime said:
DLD said:

At first I thought this was a good idea, but the more I think about it, I don't see any need for this. Personally, I don't see many differences between a 12 year olds questions, or a 25 year old that is just starting with their first livestock. I think it is important for these "beginners| to be able to pick the brains or discuss various topics with those who have been in this business for longer periods of time. I am not sure how much information a young kid is going to get from a subforum of younger members. I have no problem with someone asking a question that to me, is pretty basic in nature. All though life, we all learn by asking questions and hopefully we get some good advice to learn from. Where I get upset, is when I see some grown ups, sho should know better,insulting and ridiculing young members who are just trying to learn. Steerplanet is a forum... and a forum for all.... young,old, beginners and life long producers. We can all learn from each other and I think it is important for different generations to communicate together. There seems to be less of that happening in today's society and I don't see that as being necessarily a good thing.

I understand, and agree with what you're saying.  My thoughts were more along the lines of giving them a place that they can mostly discuss things with other young people that us older folks might not be interested in - I don't see a ton of that now, but I'm thinking they might enjoy it and it might keep a little of the traffic off the main forum from the kids that get bored and get to spending time just trying to increase their post count.  They'd still be welcome on the main forum, too.

Edit to add;  I believe that the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.  It frustrates me to see anyone ridiculed for asking something, too. 

knabe

Labeling threads with n/c seems sufficient to help people not participate in politics and religion.  It's not perfect but predominantly works. Most people offer positive posts. Once in a while people ask the same question over and over and don't listen and take some responsibility for some of the responses they get.  Many people complain about the direction of posts but don't start posts or only say they don't like the direction of posts. Post something different. Do, don't say what not to do.

Gargan

knabe said:
Labeling threads with n/c seems sufficient to help people not participate in politics and religion.   It's not perfect but predominantly works. Most people offer positive posts. Once in a while people ask the same question over and over and don't listen and take some responsibility for some of the responses they get.  Many people complain about the direction of posts but don't start posts or only say they don't like the direction of posts. Post something different. Do, don't say what not to do.

I agree! I like the forum setup as it is. I just scan throught the topics and a lot of the times do not read anything that doesnt interest me or that i know little about.

jason

I have considered creating a separate board  several times for Non-Cattle, but the majority of people usually prefer everything in 1 place.  I will go ahead and run another poll and see what people think this time.  Certainly, very easy to add.

comercialfarmer

obie105 said:
ZNT said:
Steerplanet does tend to get a little off course when it comes to being a cattle forum.  I'll be the first to admit that I read many of the N/C posts, but so many of these can start falling into a gray area. I ready many of the posts, but tend to comment more on the cattle related posts. 

Secondly, I like to follow the philosophy that my grandpa, who was a very successful businessman, used when dealing with customers, and the public in general.  "Never discuss politics and religion."  I am not saying neither can be discussed or mentioned, but if there is anything that is going to offend and disenfranchise more people, it is these two topics. For as much that is said on this site about less government and less regulation, it only works if everyone is doing their part to be a positive influence to this site.  If people can not behave, there will be rules.

I will continue to read and post on steerplanet, and I will continue to be a positive contributor to the site.  If everyone shares this same goal, then steerplanet will continue to be a great site that the entire family can read and learn from.

I agree. Was always taught to not talk politics or religion. Get tired of the political posts.  See enough of the junk on tv.

My religion comment was a joke.  However, the thought of having a political section was not. 

I can see benefits to both set ups.  Either way, if it isn't for you, skip over it and you wouldn't be bothered by it.  Those that wished to contribute could.  If you don't wish to tie your business to your individual thoughts, you don't have to participate.

I have been a fairly successful in business myself, and I wish I could live in a sheltered world away from it all.  But unfortunately, it seems that policies affect all of us and often to a great extent.  My grandpa taught me to become involved in the policies and political discussions around me, because if I don't, I have no room to complain when someone else decides it for me. 

Sticking your head in the sand because your afraid you may offend someone is not necessarily great advice.  Discussing policies and how they affect the industry with future producers, I see as potentially too important to completely ban.  And to be honest, it is a civic responsibility. 

I look at the "news" as a grade school cliff notes version of whatever topic they are covering.  It is so dumbed down, that I think it may actually make you less intelligent for watching it.

Compare the information you get from these two sources:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/02/mcdonalds-asks-pork-distributors-for-humane-reforms/

(Mostly toward the end of this thread.)
http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?action=printpage;topic=21276.0

Doc

commercialfarmer said:
Sticking your head in the sand because your afraid you may offend someone is not necessarily great advice.  Discussing policies and how they affect the industry with future producers, I see as potentially too important to completely ban.  And to be honest, it is a civic responsibility. 

Commercial farmer, the problem is not that you are going to offend someone, it is the people that are flat out rude or question someone's integrity on here. 

aj

Thats a fine line to define Doc. Like when frostbite does  t h e  I ' l l  t a l k  s l o w  s o  y o u    c a n  u n d e r s t a n d bit.......is that rude or an attack on someones intellegence?  I think it is funny.....other people would calling a modererator to stop the trashing or whatever.

DLD

knabe said:
Labeling threads with n/c seems sufficient to help people not participate in politics and religion.   It's not perfect but predominantly works. Most people offer positive posts. Once in a while people ask the same question over and over and don't listen and take some responsibility for some of the responses they get.  Many people complain about the direction of posts but don't start posts or only say they don't like the direction of posts. Post something different. Do, don't say what not to do.

Yep.

travis214

As one of the beginners / high school age kids on here, I think a separate forum for younger people would be a great idea. Maybe not so much as a place to get advice, but as a way to meet other people of the same age who share an interest in the livestock industry.

Angusboy

obie105 said:
ZNT said:

You got that right

misskarly

I normally refrain from posting very much on here, mainly due to all of the incessant drama and bickering. However, I love utilizing this site to learn things about the industry from other users, so I must comment on this one.

Let me start by saying that I am a 17 year old girl, who started out in the show cattle industry without family members or parents who had ever done it. I had to ask many "obvious", as you all would say, questions when I first began exhibiting and raising cattle. I still have to ask some of those questions today, and that is why I'm grateful for SP. No, I do not post often but I normally search the enormous amounts of info on here if I have a question.

However, I think it is truly sad when everyone is complaining about the young people asking questions. I have been very fortunate to meet people in the industry who have taken me "under their wing" per say, and taught me things that have helped me to excel. All of you who are complaining about the questions, did you begin in this deal knowing everything? I guarantee you asked several "obvious" questions when you were a beginner! Remember, we are the generation who will be carrying on the livestock industries legacy. Dont put us down, build us up!

I know there are so many amazing livestock minds on this site and that is why I love it so much on here. But I definitely am turned off when the bickering and fighting takes over what is truly important, the cattle. I am not intending to be disrespectful to the adults on this forum, but several of you are more of a problem to this site with your petty fighting than any of the young people are.

In closing, I do want the young people to understand that people WILL NOT take you seriously if you fail to use proper spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc. I know everyone hates the "grammar police" but no one will ever look at you like a professional in any industry, including agriculture, if you can not express yourself correctly. That is a problem I see with many people in my generation. You expect to be taken seriously, but do not present yourself in a manner that will make people want to take you seriously. I am not trying to be critical of anyone on this site. I am just giving my honest opinion of how all of the young people could gain more respect from the experienced users.

I know this site is such a great tool for the livestock industry, and I want to see it continue to be just that. It certainly benefits young people like me! Thanks Jason for a great site! Loved your interview on SureChamp Blog!

jason

aj said:
What would be draw back to requiring people to show there identity?

Good - People would be more accountable for what they said.

Bad - I don't want an issue off the forum, that starts from the forum.  Too easy to track down someone anyway.

jason

I think the original post was a bit misconstrued and I sure didn't help.  The "young" people were referring to a few people that typically can really push people's buttons.

We have had a lot of young people on this summer and that is a good thing. 

Thanks for being a part of sp.

misskarly said:
I normally refrain from posting very much on here, mainly due to all of the incessant drama and bickering. However, I love utilizing this site to learn things about the industry from other users, so I must comment on this one.

Let me start by saying that I am a 17 year old girl, who started out in the show cattle industry without family members or parents who had ever done it. I had to ask many "obvious", as you all would say, questions when I first began exhibiting and raising cattle. I still have to ask some of those questions today, and that is why I'm grateful for SP. No, I do not post often but I normally search the enormous amounts of info on here if I have a question.

However, I think it is truly sad when everyone is complaining about the young people asking questions. I have been very fortunate to meet people in the industry who have taken me "under their wing" per say, and taught me things that have helped me to excel. All of you who are complaining about the questions, did you begin in this deal knowing everything? I guarantee you asked several "obvious" questions when you were a beginner! Remember, we are the generation who will be carrying on the livestock industries legacy. Dont put us down, build us up!

I know there are so many amazing livestock minds on this site and that is why I love it so much on here. But I definitely am turned off when the bickering and fighting takes over what is truly important, the cattle. I am not intending to be disrespectful to the adults on this forum, but several of you are more of a problem to this site with your petty fighting than any of the young people are.

In closing, I do want the young people to understand that people WILL NOT take you seriously if you fail to use proper spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc. I know everyone hates the "grammar police" but no one will ever look at you like a professional in any industry, including agriculture, if you can not express yourself correctly. That is a problem I see with many people in my generation. You expect to be taken seriously, but do not present yourself in a manner that will make people want to take you seriously. I am not trying to be critical of anyone on this site. I am just giving my honest opinion of how all of the young people could gain more respect from the experienced users.

I know this site is such a great tool for the livestock industry, and I want to see it continue to be just that. It certainly benefits young people like me! Thanks Jason for a great site! Loved your interview on SureChamp Blog!

firesweepranch

misskarly said:

Miss Karly
You are certainly mature beyond your years, and beyond many amongst here! I am glad you are a part, and that you spoke up on behalf of the "youth" or people just starting out.
Great post!