the truth about health care costs and our economy (not cattle related)

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

I was not going to step into this debate, as I live in Canada. We have had so called " free" health care here for probably 40-50 years now. It has some very good points but it also has some bad. Personally, I think the solution is somewhere in the middle.

Yes, there are waiting lists for some procedures but that is getting much better. If you have an emergency situation, there is immediate action. A good friend of mine was rushed to emergency two hours after coming home sick from work. He was diagnosed with stage three colon cancer, and he had surgery the next morning. If you break you leg and it requires pinning or surgery, it is done immediately. We have absolutely no worries about what any health care we need is going to cost us. That is actually a good feeling to have, but we pay for everyone's health care through increased taxes.We have a 5% sales tax provincally and a 5% Goods and services tax federally, and farmers can claim back almost all the GST paid on farm related expenses. I have talked with several US friends, and I do not see much difference in the income tax paid between Canada and the US.

What I don't like about our health care, is that because of it being government funded, there has been an increasing level of upper layer of administration. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

I have friends in the US that have had some family health concerns over a long period of time. They eventually had to sell their three generation farm to pay part of their medical bills, after a family member had several major health issues, their health insurance rose to a level that they could not pay the premium. To me, that does not seem right, but I know it is also an isolated case.

In my own family, I have seen the benefits of our system, as well as the down falls. My mother was diagnosed with liver failure, after having hepatis from an unknown source.  She was told that she would need a liver transplant so my parents moved to Edmonton, which is 600 miles from here to her to receive a liver transplant. Fortunately for us, my sister was head of the transplant unit at the University of Alberta hospital, so my parents were able to stay with her and her family. She had here transplant which was totally successful, however she died a few months later from complications to her lungs. That was 16 years ago now, and my sister had access to the files where the healthcare costs were maintained. If we had not had so called free health care, we probably would have lost everything, as the bill would have been over 1.2 million  dollars.

I have also had two major surgeries that were done immediately and each time, I was in Intensive care for over 12 days each time.While I was very sick, it was a good feeling to know that my healthcare was not going to affect us in anyway, other than having a little work pile up on the farm.

As I said, I do believe that the real answer to healthcare is somewhere between our two systems. I feel that we will eventually see more and more  movement where some procedures will be done on a two tier system. This means for example, if you want to wait for your turn, you can go into the public system line-up. If you want to pay for it yourself, that option will be available to you as well. We are starting to see this with things like hip and knee replacements, MRI scanning, etc.

As far as the quality of our health care, I believe it is excellent, just as it is in the US.

Jill

Here is the main difference I see between the US and Canada situations, at this point the US is BROKE!  We are printing money and our dollars are loosing value at an all time record, where is the money going to come from?  The US has an immigration issue that (as far as I know) Canada does not deal with, we are not only paying for health care for our citizens, but we are also covering the health care for the illegals sitting in our emergency rooms. 
I am one of those caught in the middle that this system is supposed to be "the answer" for, I have seen our government screw up ever program it has touched, I just don't see how this will be any different, I agree our health care system needs to be "fixed" I just don't agree that the government is the one that should be fixing it.  This is starting to get the feel of a 2nd Russia and I think we are headed into a scary place, in 6 months time the government has taken over the banks, the car industry and they are now working on the health care system, where are we headed?

justintime

Jill, I agree with everything you have said. You are correct in saying that we, here in Canada, do not have the immigration issue that you have in the US. That said, we do have some similar issues, but they are not as big. Just two weeks ago, Canada changed the rules regarding Mexico citizens needed Visas to come to Canada. Too many were entering Canada and claiming refugee status. We also have an issue with elderly Americans moving into Canada to retire, just so they can get healthcare provided. As you know, over 90 % of a person's health care costs will occur in your last 5 years of life. We really like you Americans, but we don't think it is really fair to have to pick up the health costs in your later years, when you have not put anything in to pay for it. This does not concern me as much as the people who immigrate here long enough to get Canadian citizenship, then move back to their former homelands, and return here when they need health care. As I said before, our system is far from perfect. Germany, Sweden and Norway, amongst several other countries, have a healthcare system that seems to be a combination of our two systems, and from what I have heard it works very well.

You are also totally right about the US debt. It scares me, and I don't even live there!

knabe

http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/24/news/economy/health_care_reform_obama.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2009072410

Today, many states require these "standard benefits packages" -- and they're a major cause for the rise in health-care costs. Every group, from chiropractors to alcohol-abuse counselors, do lobbying to get included. Connecticut, for example, requires reimbursement for hair transplants, hearing aids, and in vitro fertilization.

hmm.  no control of costs by choosing what you want to cover and no choice on what not to cover for those who can't afford it.  typical.

also, the first thing i would do to save money, is if you don't have health insurance, is to have a clinic available, yes at taxpayer expense, to visit instead of an emergency room.  you would have to get a referral to go to the emergency room.  publicize the heck out of it in every language.  enforce it immediately.

from there... i got lots of ideas.  if you don't pay, you have less choice.  if you are not a citizen, you have less choice.  you certainly don't get a sex change operation under insurance, but for dang sure, a democrat is going to put that in there.  we already have it in CA.

knabe

True story of how health care costs are distributed.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304441404577483050976766184.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop

Sort of obvious that extreme circumstances take up most of the cost.

Once again why I feel one should have catostrophic insurance and be allowed to pay for services with or without insurance for smaller stuff without the government infrastructure which probably costs more than the cheap stuff.

States should pick up this ball not the federal government so we can see which balance of services create value and care.

Once the Feds get involved, costs skyrocket and incentives diminish.

aj

The cost of Obamas healthcare was underestimated 3 fold. I think we need to face the fact the USA has become a welfare nation. They now have the numbers to vote us off the face of the earth.

KSanburg

SD said:
Government mandated healthcare won't work. Just like Pell grants and student loans haven't controlled cost in education. Those programs have cheapened a high school education to the point that it is worthless. But we sure spend a lot of taxpayers money anyway. While more people have gone to college the actual quality of education in high schools has drop dramatically. To the point that a college degree is now worth what a high school degree was in the 1950's. You need a masters or phd to be ahead. So has the government really made a better education more affordable? No.

So why will health care be any different? It won't. Health care costs were in line with overall inflation until the late 1960's. That's when government first stuck it's nose into the situation. Ever since then health care cost have been spiraling out in to the stratosphere. Also in the 80's (I believe) the government removed the health care sector when it figures inflation. That way when they figured cost of living increase for Social Security recipients the government could save a little while push the increase cost on to seniors.

While people think government health care is the answer, it is only one way to do it. (the worst way) It just happens to be the easy way for most. The best way would be for a free market to work hard at providing better cost structures and affordability to the consumer. Which could be done if government got out of the way. Governments role (state government that is) would be to oversee (regulate) but not be a consumer or provider. The problem here is that this alternative requires an involved consumer educated about his choices and responsible for his decisions.

Health care is a privilege not a right.

JMHO
SD
<alien>
<beer> I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!!!! <beer>

Telos

Very complex and complicated issue. Managing a way to help keep a civilization of people healthy will always be a very expensive venture. If it's going to become the have's and have not's, then I hope none of us fall in the have not group.

knabe

worthabit said:
The way I understand it if you can afford insurance you will have to purchase it.  Wouldn't anybody who can afford it already have health insurance?

supposedly only 1 million can't afford it (according to democrats ).  therefore, we need to have the federal government take over 25% of the economy.

knabe

J2F

aj said:
All I know....is that the government could screw up a wet dream if given the chance.

yea but they get rich, free "good" health care, retirement and protection w/ guns anyway. Voters need to wake up.

aj

The only way that us in the older generation will not crush the younger generation is a program called PANDEMIC. If it would wipe out 30% of us old bastards......the younger generation would have a fighting chance.jmo

RyanChandler

Not a successful business in the world that operates with a balanced budget.  It's called leverage.  In the richest country in the world (our national income is 3x that of the next highest-Japan), the US, healthcare is now a right.  Undocumented residents are a net surplus on our economy.  Very few middle class families are struggling. Chances are, if you're struggling, you're not middle class. The point of a pell grant isn't to control education cost, but to make education more accessible.

J2F

-XBAR- said:
Not a successful business in the world that operates with a balanced budget.  It's called leverage.   In the richest country in the world (our national income is 3x that of the next highest-Japan), the US, healthcare is now a right.   Undocumented residents are a net surplus on our economy.  Very few middle class families are struggling. Chances are, if you're struggling, you're not middle class. The point of a pell grant isn't to control education cost, but to make education more accessible.

wrong.  :eek:

J2F

You find me one fact to back up your poor misguided opinions and then I will take the time to show you how your wrong.  (clapping) (dog)

GONEWEST

Undocumented residents are a net surplus on our economy.  Very few middle class families are struggling. Chances are, if you're struggling, you're not middle class.

You have said about the top 10 dumbest things ever posted here but that may be the dumbest. I believe I will go back and pull a few of your gems and post a poll and see which one wins as the dumbest of all time.

People who are struggling are obviously technically not in the middle class. However, many WERE in the middle class until they lost their jobs, which caused them to lose their homes, their insurance and their livelihood in general. It is a FACT that the middle class has shrunk substantially. And you can tell that crap about the illegals being a net surplus to our county hospital that lost over $100 million dollars to indigent care for illegals last year. You can tell the 65 -85 families that receive foreclosure notices each week here that officially they are no longer in the middle class.

And does the new healthcare law now mean that I have to pay for your dope?

I don't have time to fool with you and explain to you how not all successful businesses are leveraged or that too much leverage,i.e. the government, is the most common cause of small business failure. Seems to me like a Suma Cum what ever accountant making over $80,000 a year like you would know that. And why is it that you are not at your prestigious job and instead playing on steer planet? Just all caught up and nothing to do?

RyanChandler

GONEWEST said:
Undocumented residents are a net surplus on our economy.  Very few middle class families are struggling. Chances are, if you're struggling, you're not middle class.

You have said about the top 10 dumbest things ever posted here but that may be the dumbest. I believe I will go back and pull a few of your gems and post a poll and see which one wins as the dumbest of all time.

Please do. But I'd only request the responses come from those willing to share their creditials on the matter as I'm inclined to believe very few on here have any formal financial background or any experience whatsoever in this topic at hand.

People who are struggling are obviously technically not in the middle class. However, many WERE in the middle class until they lost their jobs, which caused them to lose their homes, their insurance and their livelihood in general. It is a FACT that the middle class has shrunk substantially. And you can tell that crap about the illegals being a net surplus to our county hospital that lost over $100 million dollars to indigent care for illegals last year. You can tell the 65 -85 families that receive foreclosure notices each week here that officially they are no longer in the middle class.

So short sighted gonewiththewind.  You ask the lady doing account receivables at the hospital, I'll ask the developer who built the hospital. Foreign workers in this country raise GDP, lower prices- thus raising living standards, and sustain industries that would otherwise struggle for labor.  David Coates, a professor at Wake Forest ( You're familiar with the institution, right?) has a website- www.davidcoates.net -that's dedicated to countering misinformation with accurate data and clear guidance to sources on numerous aspects of the immigration issues so you can educate yourself...Who knows though...maybe the guys you play dominos w/ are more informed?  ::)

And does the new healthcare law now mean that I have to pay for your dope?

[size=10pt]Let me help you out here: 'Dope', while perhaps 50 years ago referred to marijuana, now is recognized as the colloquial expression for meth or speeeeeed. There are many more suitable terms that I'd encourage you to use as to not come across as a 'dope' yourself.  Per your question, only time will tell.  States interested in making economic advancements have already legalized marijuana not only for medicinal purposes  but for recreation use  <party> as well.  Let me guess... you're not only brighter than the President of the US, but more so than leading Surgeon Generals as well? [/size]

I don't have time to fool with you and explain to you how not all successful businesses are leveraged or that too much leverage,i.e. the government, is the most common cause of small business failure. Seems to me like a Suma Cum what ever accountant making over $80,000 a year like you would know that. And why is it that you are not at your prestigious job and instead playing on steer planet? Just all caught up and nothing to do?

[size=10pt]All successful business' leverage their equity by borrowing money. This is the premise behind OPM.  The general practice is to borrow money to buy an asset with a higher return than the interest on the debt. Show me one medium to large business that operates w/ owner(singular) invested capital.  You can't do it. 

O' and not just caught up, but ahead of schedule  ;) You see, when you perform like I do, you're granted a little 'autonomy.'
[/size]