Thick bull sires

Help Support Steer Planet:

ELBEE

What, exactly is thickness? Is it double muscling? What is double muscle? Over the years I've heard many more comments on our stock being too heavy muscled than not! Even seen judges bury our steers and give that reasoning, then see that last place steer hands down win the carcase contest. So, again what is thickness? Enlighten me!

amcosgra

LaGrand Reload 80P ET - Polled Hereford bull that puts natural thickness on his calves.  This year at a sale I saw the thickest heifer I have ever seen and it was out of him.

aj

Are carcass cattle thick cattle. Is a big rib eye something you can visually observe. Does a thick hind end improve cutability? Does the coarse bone hurt cutability. I don't know?

TJ

I can tell you that Tarentaise cattle are smaller boned, yet they dress a real high percentage of meat.  Bone looks good in the showring, but that's about the only place that it's a plus, IMHO. 

ELBEE

I've sold hundreds of freezer beeves, and never once have I had a customer complain that their ribeyes were too big. Almost 100% of our customers want the fat trimmed and NOT added back to the hamburger.

The only ones complaining about lean huge loineyed cattle are the "corprate packing house managers". Why? Cause it's kinda hard to exploit the consumer with lean heavy muscled slaughter cattle!

HeiferShower14

i saw at the kansas beef expo a red headed step child steer. he was really nice first i seen