Thinking About Using Bedding Pellets - Are They Better Than Shavings?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sambosu

I have always used shavings as bedding at all the shows my kids attend but I want to try something different because I am having trouble finding good fluffy shavings in my area.  All seem to be either very large flakes that don't pack well no matter how much I wet them down, or too small and dusty that dry out in no time. I have had people mention they use bedding pellets as an alternative or use both, bedding pellets as their base and shavings on top. Would like to hear from those that have used pellets on how many bags do I need to buy per calf (show steers are prospects weighing just under 900lbs) and if its better to use just pellets or use both. Thanks in advance.

chambero

Most folks in Tx are switching to pellets.  Much cleaner and less blowing around if you keep them wet.  Pretty much a 1:1 ratio, with maybe an extra bag or two.  I'll still use both sometimes if I want a bed to be extra soft (leg issues), but i put pellets on top of regular shavings, not vise versa.

Sambosu

Chambero, thanks for letting me know how you use the pellets. How thick does the layer of pellets need to be?

okiegirl

We were thinking of using the pellets at Tulsa.  What's the cheapest place to buy them?