Thoughts on a maternal mating with this donor cow!

Help Support Steer Planet:

MOClubbyGuy

What are your thoughts on at maternal mating for this donor cow of mine. She is a Maine Angus cow and the dam of the Monopoly son called Anarchy. I would prefer bulls that have semen that is easily available to get and use. Thanks.

DakotaCow

Roy Rogers the red angus bull. Or perhaps something in the dream on line, in dew time or amigo.

ploughshare

I would look for a Simmental.  JS Burning Up or Chopper possibly.  I really like the cow and Anarchy, but I would avoid crossing her up too much for the sake of consistency.

leanbeef

Really like the cow... Really, REALLY like the idea of a Simmie bull on her. I'm curious about what you consider "maternal" and what your plans are for the offspring. Do you mean maternal clubby or maternal maternal?... I wouldn't consider the bulls that have been mentioned as particularly "maternal" bulls.

skeeter20

Uproar from Cardinal cattle. He is a purebread simmi. Seen him last week. They are planning on showing him at World beef expo. Thats how much confidence they have in him.

trevorgreycattleco

If I wanted females out of this cow I'd probably use a bull like HARB Cincha or sons of his. Or I really like the XXP angus bull in Genex. Last years catalog I believe has his picture. I ordered semen on him but it hasn't showed up. LT Bandwagon is another bull from Genex that looks to make good females

ferkj

Limestone Trifecta comes to mind as a pure Simmi momma maker bull.  I've seen a few of his calves this fall out of An and An x MA cows and they all had the maternal look.  Deep bodied, lots of spring of rib cage and good structureed.  You may also want to take a look at www.whiteroostercattle.com  They have several Simmi x Maine bulls which may work also. 

YoungGunCattle

Chopper and whizard are two good ones. both owned by griswold i believe. JS american pride is a good one as well

GoWyo

If going maternal, would look for something that will tend to level out her udder and decrease teat size to go with whatever else you are trying to do.

knabe

GoWyo said:
If going maternal, would look for something that will tend to level out her udder and decrease teat size to go with whatever else you are trying to do.

BAM.

knabe

she's a red carrier?

breed her to that shorthorn that had those awesome bags in another post.

MOClubbyGuy

I am leaning toward a PB Simmi or Sim/Maine bull for the maternal traits. This cow is a 6 yr old and I want to make sure she has powerful genetics in the tank. I would like to use a well name bull to be able to sell the offspring if that option comes up. Keep the ideas coming!

leanbeef

MOClubbyGuy said:
I am leaning toward a PB Simmi or Sim/Maine bull for the maternal traits. This cow is a 6 yr old and I want to make sure she has powerful genetics in the tank. I would like to use a well name bull to be able to sell the offspring if that option comes up. Keep the ideas coming!

I'd look at the "Olie" bull who would be Upgrade's sire. He's a Legacy son, and the Legacy daughters are some of the best cows around. And the half blood "Olie" daughters are what gave that bull his first looks from purebred breeders. He's dead now and semen has gone up a little, but I don't imagine it'll get any easier to find as time goes by. I personally like the baldies, but you can always come back with a baldy on the daughters. The Teifecta bull was an interesting suggestion...I haven't seen any, but I like him. He's only 1/4 Simmental, though.

Take a look at "Olie"...Ellingson Legacy M229. He's for real.

DL

MOClubbyGuy said:
What are your thoughts on at maternal mating for this donor cow of mine. She is a Maine Angus cow and the dam of the Monopoly son called Anarchy. I would prefer bulls that have semen that is easily available to get and use. Thanks.

Nice cow - what is the Maine in her?

If I owned the cow I would flush her to FR Magic 179X

MOClubbyGuy

She is a Styles Resolution daughter which is from the Syles Maine herd in Canada. She is a full sister to the reserve mainetainer at Edmondton Alberta Show in Canada. Total Outcross Maine x Angus cow.

knabe