Thoughts on Angus Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Angus n Club

I was hoping to get some opinions on my Angus heifer. She is out of Connealy Final Product and MGS is BC Raven. I'm leaning towards to breeding her to Hoover Dam. I wanted to get some input on what you all think of her. Thanks!  ;D

Attachments

• Lucy Reg. Angus.jpg
    Lucy Reg. Angus.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 0920111116.jpg
    0920111116.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Lola 7 months.jpg
    Lola 7 months.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 118

ruhtram

You have a nice functional heifer that will make you a great cow! I haven't heard of Hoover Dam but I'm going to look him up! I really like the angus bull Northern Improvement for breeding options.

ruhtram

I like that "hoover dam" bull. He has a low BW EPD which would be good.  He is a $47,000 bull

Angus n Club

Cruiser said:
You have a nice functional heifer that will make you a great cow! I haven't heard of Hoover Dam but I'm going to look him up! I really like the angus bull Northern Improvement for breeding options.
Thanks! I would like to see her a little thicker in the hind end but overall I think she is pretty sound. Her mother is a great cow. She's bred to S A V Pioneer due in March. Hoover is probably the best son out of CC&7. I have seen his offspring and they look really good. I like his maternal traits that he pass's on and his thickness with muscle. He's almost proven at 3 years old. He is ranked number 4 for his docility too. His father is number one. I like that he's a calving ease bull too and will probably breed my Limflex to him as well.

Angus n Club

I will say that she is improving every week and looking better and better. The first pic was taken back in late October. She did place 2nd in her class and our other 1 placed first and was Reserve Champion. They were both in the same class together.

Mill Iron A

My only complaint with Hoover dam is that he can be questionable on true depth.  Sure lots of feed and a correct mating can fix that but I have looked over a bunch of them and that is a theme.  Super big tops, maybe some of the biggest in the breed and yes they are thick as well.  I'd look at Connealy Capitalist, BC Classic, and I would second Northern Improvement.

Angus n Club

Mill Iron A said:
My only complaint with Hoover dam is that he can be questionable on true depth.  Sure lots of feed and a correct mating can fix that but I have looked over a bunch of them and that is a theme.  Super big tops, maybe some of the biggest in the breed and yes they are thick as well.  I'd look at Connealy Capitalist, BC Classic, and I would second Northern Improvement.

Thanks for info about him. I'll look into those bulls you have suggested too. What do you think about the S A V bulls? I really like them as well. I was even thinking maybe a Duff or an OCC on her too. She does need some frame added to her. She is a little narrow IMO. That's why I wanted to go with Hoover to add a little and put some muscle in there as well. I have no doubt that she will make a great cow. Only want to use what is going to work best for her and correct the problems. I have also considered Lut on her too but I think his semen is getting harder and harder to get.

Top Knot

I would consider SAV Brilliance. He doesn't have the docility number of Hoover Dam, but the rest of his EPD's are comparable. I've seen some very stylish heifers out of him.