Thoughts on FSF STARBURST 058

Help Support Steer Planet:

NCC

we like him enough that we are going to use him on some of our shorthorns. i saw a couple calves online, they look cool

Richland Farms

If you like power and hair you will love his calves!! We have been to Farrer's sale numerous years and have seen a lot of starburst calves and they all have style and good hair. We have used his brother FSF Hardline and like those calves as well.

Richland Farms

Looks like he's working on a variety of cows. I would contact the owners and talk to them more in depth about him.

garett

I should have a calf coming by him in a couple weeks out of a shorthorn plus cow of mine. Will try and remember about a picture sometime.

mark tenenbaum

I havent seen him other than a video,(STARBURST) but Ive seen his dam,his granddam, and his uncle (Hardline) as a long yearling on cows. The valley rose cow was one of the thickest animals of any breed ive seen-and Hardline was a very rugged,thick,big footed ,heavy boned impressive bull. Niether one of these bulls will be calving ease by defalt-but they are very good-albeit Starbursts sire Stardust was known to throw some monsters here and there-so the proud jazz etc on the bottom will not cure that deal.I havent seen any Hardline calves up close-but I would guess they have more performance than the Starbursts-he was bigger.Id have to say that Hardline is probably ubderused from what little Ive seen pictured out of him. O0

garett

mark tenenbaum said:
I havent seen him other than a video,(STARBURST) but Ive seen his dam,his granddam, and his uncle (Hardline) as a long yearling on cows. The valley rose cow was one of the thickest animals of any breed ive seen-and Hardline was a very rugged,thick,big footed ,heavy boned impressive bull. Niether one of these bulls will be calving ease by defalt-but they are very good-albeit Starbursts sire Stardust was known to throw some monsters here and there-so the proud jazz etc on the bottom will not cure that deal.I havent seen any Hardline calves up close-but I would guess they have more performance than the Starbursts-he was bigger.Id have to say that Hardline is probably ubderused from what little Ive seen pictured out of him. O0

Where can I find a video of him?

jkt3

We have had a couple starbursts this year and both are bulls. Roan One is out of a step ahead heifer and he came on his own and weighed 78 lbs. The solid red bull out of a trump daughter. He was unassisted but I don't remember his weight. Both are stylish, level & square hipped.  They are good enough that we are breeding more to him. Th

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 362
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 476
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    821.3 KB · Views: 409

jkt3

I also wanted to mention they are sound and both have adequate foot and bone. They cows they are out of are moderate in all respects. Both are really hairy. More pics of the calves above and one of a Sonny daughter we are flushing.  The step ahead was a first calf heifer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    649.7 KB · Views: 368
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    701.6 KB · Views: 493
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    607.4 KB · Views: 323
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 373

lcattleco.

Really like this bull.  I had a few last year and a half dozen this year.  If you like them sound soft and hairy, he's the best option I have found.  Do have to watch the fronts on them though.  Better breed him to a long necked one.  Would not recomend for heifers.  Had one last night out of a red vision that pushed a 100lbs.

OH Breeder

Garett said:
mark tenenbaum said:

Where can I find a video of him?

I found this on youtube a year or so ago.

FSF Starburst

RyanChandler

Would it be 'bashing' to say the bull isn't very sound? He looks awfully stiff in his hocks and is a half foot short of hitting his stride.  He's does have style and hair though  (lol)

lcattleco.

Maybe he breeds long strided and super flexible!!  you probably wouldnt like him because he doesn't breed cat assed, solid red, and crooked legged.

kiblercattle

I would agree with xbar the bull himself appears stiff and short strided which IMO soundness comes first. I have seen a son of his in person and he moved out better so maybe he doesn't breed as he appears to be. In a sift ring at the sales we have attented he would be culled for that.

shortyjock89

lcattleco. said:
Maybe he breeds long strided and super flexible!!  you probably wouldnt like him because he doesn't breed cat assed, solid red, and crooked legged.

The only way he breeds more sound than himself is if he gets used on those big, flat, cat assed, crooked legged cows.  From this video, I wouldn't use him, but that doesn't mean he hasn't made some cool ones.  To me, he's kinda like the JPJ deal. Good to use on the big, old-school Shorthorn cows, but he's not for breeders who have been somewhat progressive in the last 8-10 years.