thoughts on my steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

showemall

Heres some photos of my new tiger woods steer, whats your thoughts on him? I was not sure because of his color, but, this guy floats on air when he walks. You wont hurt my feelings, its how people learn so dont hold back.  ;)

Attachments

• tiger2.jpg
    tiger2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 212
  • Tiger.jpg
    Tiger.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 167

showemall

heres a couple more shots, sorry, they are just cell phone pics.

Attachments

• tiger3.jpg
    tiger3.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 151
  • tiger4.jpg
    tiger4.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 173

MCC

I like your calf. He's got some style and balance, and looks like he's going to get soggy. Deep sided and I love his front end. Pretty profile and looks like he's gonna have some thickness. Good eye and good luck with him.

twistedhshowstock

Definately a very eye catching and attractive steer thats got some thickness and looks like he should feed fairly well.  My only concern from the pics is he looks like he is a little up on those toes and straight in the back end.  You say he is walking good now  so that is a huge plus, but it is something that may become a concern down the road.  Overall a pretty nice steer, just keep an eye on him and be prepared to put him on something to keep him sound.

simmyman67

I like him...stout, big legs, good hip, straight top, good front end...you've got yourself a good steer (clapping)

Warrior10

I also like him A LOT....if he had one weakness it might be being too straight in those back legs, but its a very fine line between being too straight and just right.

rackranch

Nice.. I don't think he is to straight.  looks like plenty of angle there to me but he needs a good haircut to make the angles look even better.

Do you know how the cow side is bred??

flacowman

for me personally he's just barely on the wrong side of too straight but if he travels well I would easily overlook it.  He's a steer for a reason after all.  Really nice calf overall

[email protected]

Good job on finding him.  You will have lots of fun.  I would feed him in a heart beat. He has a great style and cool pattern.  He is also fine on his legs. (thumbsup)

wyatt

he looks a little straight legged, and a fuzz high flanked for me but ,he has a realy nice hip a good neck and a nice top

OH Breeder

Some of the rear leg set is due to how short they have his hooves. If you look they have put him right up on his toes. He is flashy and attractive patterned. I think he will make a super eye appealing fat steer. Really like how clean is hes. Great profile.We always have room in our barn for another good one.  ;)

showemall

Do you think I should put him on supplements, like natural stride or a hoof one now or later?? Also should I feed something to help develop his flank or will it come with time? In your opinion is he a county steer or would he do ok at a state show? Is he worth reg. appendix and going that route? Thanks guys for the knowladge! ;D

Also, he is out of a deep made, moderate shorthorn cow

twistedhshowstock

How old and how big is the calf? If he is a young calf then I think he is doing fine in his flank at this stage, he is a pretty nice shorthorn patterned steer, depending on how he develops I think he is state fair quality.
Like was said earlier, his feet are pretty short and he is right up on those toes, which adds to the straightness in his leg, I dont know if they trimmed him to short or if he is just naturally short footed, we dont often see em trimming young calves that much.  I understand there are a lot of factors adding to how straight his leg looks, and I understand that there is a fine line between just right and to straight these days for a lot of people.  As a prospect for me I am still going to say he is to straight in my opinion.  If he was a fat steer I probably wouldnt have a problem with that angle as long as he was moving good, but a lot of times these prospects that are that straight have a tendency to get short strided and have issues as they get heavier.  If I were feeding him he would be on something like keep em sound, but that is me, i am sure others will tell you differently.
But that is getting picky on an awfully nice steer...good luck with him.

CBowlin

Definately register him Appendix. he could do some damage as a breed steer.