~~~~Thoughts on this heifer?~~~~

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bradenh

i hope she is a market heifer. way to terminal to ever live in a pasture. who ever questions her bone does not know what they are talking about. she is loaded, front to back top to bottom as a market heifer. could use some more extension up front with that neck and has no maternal charactor. but a beast of a market calf imo

fordkindagirl

Show stopper 95 said:
i hope she is a market heifer. way to terminal to ever live in a pasture. who ever questions her bone does not know what they are talking about. she is loaded, front to back top to bottom as a market heifer. could use some more extension up front with that neck and has no maternal charactor. but a beast of a market calf imo
Ok I'm sorry but I'm new to heifers (Steers are so much simpler lol) What makes a heifer "terminal"? Why would she be a market heifer? Sorry kinda hijacking the thread.

kyfarmgirl10

Love the rib and capacity that she offers I don't think she's to terminal just pack full with muscle and quite a bit of condition and maybe a little bigger foot size wouldn't hurt but she sure is a tank of a heifer. What they mean by terminal is probably that this heifer doesnt appear perfect on stucture and is a little bolder in her shoulder and just not refined or made with longevity in mind.

MCC

I like your heifer. Lots of capacity, a real ground sow. Would like to stretch her neck out a little bit but a female I wouldn't be afraid to make a cow out of.

Bradenh

fordkindagirl said:
Show stopper 95 said:
Ok I'm sorry but I'm new to heifers (Steers are so much simpler lol) What makes a heifer "terminal"? Why would she be a market heifer? Sorry kinda hijacking the thread.
oh from what im saying is she is wayyyy to fat to breed. id show her for sure. but she would never go in the pasture. these fat clubby heifers dont generally make good mamas. shes just to fat for me. speaking from a real cattle world side of the story. you never see mama cows with that type of build and steerey look. but dont get me wrong i still would love her in the ring

Blue25

Show stopper 95 said:
fordkindagirl said:
Show stopper 95 said:
oh from what im saying is she is wayyyy to fat to breed. id show her for sure. but she would never go in the pasture. these fat clubby heifers dont generally make good mamas. shes just to fat for me. speaking from a real cattle world side of the story. you never see mama
cows with that type of build and steerey look. but dont get me wrong i still would love her in the ring

True, if she did breed she might die having the calf, and if she doesn't, chances are she won't milk.

cattlejunky5

Thank You everyone for the comments! I Will even admit that she is WAY to conditioned, but she was that way when we got her, and we have been trying to regulate her. ( we got a while to go) i was also worried about getting her to breed, but surprisingly enough we got her to take the first time. The hope is to breed her more maternally and hope for good Maine heifers. Any thoughts on bulls? She is currently bred to lookout the Angus bull.

Bradenh

with her smaller frame, id say i would go paddy o malley all the way on her.  or ali if you want to spend the extra money. even carney man could work and throw a ton of chrome on the calves

flacowman

I like her.  From a show perspective she is only a touch overfat and how long is the hair on that neck?  It looks fuzzy so I'm gonna give her the benefit of the doubt on neck size.  Personally I've never had problems calving heifers like her out as long as you trim her up going into that third trimester.  I fail to see what's non-maternal about her...looks like she could carry triplets and you'd never know it she's so deep.  For that amount of depth i would like to stretch her out a little more but I'm also used to chars so I like cadillac cattle  (lol)  I think she'll do well for you and I would definitely like to see what she turns out when you breed her for heifers.  Keep her relatively fat while showing but trim her down quite a bit before she calves or you'll have a monster on your hands and a fat cow to get him out of to boot.

LCC#2

fat cows can calve i have a cow that was a tank and super fat we put her in the pasture on hay and water and she calved pretty easy and has a calf by her side out in the pasture right now

cebwtx

From my limited experience fat cows can have unassisted births. The odds are higher though of having problems the fatter they are. It seems to me if her pelvic measurements are good I would have less concerns even if she is big. I agree with the earlier post that if you add possible big birth weight and fat cow I would not like the potential problems. I know it would fall under the beating a dead horse statements but the thickest most perfect calf does you no good if it ain't living.

Bradenh

LCC#2 said:
fat cows can calve i have a cow that was a tank and super fat we put her in the pasture on hay and water and she calved pretty easy and has a calf by her side out in the pasture right now
she WAS fat. but cows on hay and water dont stay fat long. thats where most mama cows are. if you cow was on feed having that calf it would not be so easy. im just saying i dont see many good cows that are fat and look like a steer. now up north its possible, congrats on getting her bred, i hope she makes a good mama but if all cows with that make were good mothers. well there would be alot of bully cows in everybodys operations. its just a common knowlege that there is a massive difference between a show heifer and a cow. good luck with her, wish you the best

vc

If you can get the show fat off of her and she produces milk like she appears to be able to convert feed you will have one heck of o cow.