tieing calves up??

Help Support Steer Planet:

Timber1

I have read on here several times about when ppl bring the calves in from the turn outs that they tie them up? Do you tie them up as you would for a show(allowin them to lie down) or do you tie them to stand for the entire day? If you tie them to stand how much/what kind of bedding do you use?

CAB

Some PPL may tie them up to stand for a short period of time, but that would be cruel to tie them standing up for the whole day. They need to be able to be comfortable.

TottenClubCalves

I stand them up at a comfortable show height and normally let them stay tied up for a couple hours, I usually repeat at night before I let them go as well after I wash and blow them out.

CMAHerefords

We always tie them up while we are around or working on them because it seems like they have less room to move around. Then we tie them down when we are doing other stuff just to be safe.

cattlejunky5

We have always tied our calves up high for at least 2 hours (other than washing and drying). We tie them under fans and let them stand, to make sure they dont become dead heads!

bruiser

Bump on tying them up for a couple hours at a time. Remember if you go to a show they will have to stand for a couple hours at a time , so get them ready for it. If you get lucky and win a class  they will be up longer yet.

DLD

If you're tieing them all day, or even several hours, it's beneficial to leave them standing for an hour or two before you let them lay down.  If you'll do this every day, they'll get to where they lay down as soon as you let their heads down. This can be important at a show, especially if you get one exercised, fed and cleaned up and then have an hour or two 'til you're ready to fit - if they'll lay right down and rest, they'll pretty much always look and act better in the ring...