Tips for keeping cool

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

We're going to have our first 90 degree day. Seems like Ohio jumps from Spring to Summer wham bam.
What are some tips for keeping cool? I am really bothered by hot, humid weather. Can actually get violently sick.

here are some of mine:
I use a cooling vest that was made for MS patients. You put ice packs in it. It's expensive but to me a life saver. If anyone interested in more information give me a PM.
Also drink plenty of fluids. Try to avoid caffeine  :( & alcohol as much as possible.
Take breaks if possible
EAT small meals more often

Anyone else?

4Ts4H

Absolutely on the water!!!

Also, remember what type of clothing you are wearing.  Light colors especially on the cloudy days - then you can't really tell how much UV you are soaking up.  And avoid the synthetic fibers - a polyester or rayon shirt is just like wearing a plastic garbage bag, it does not breathe

Ruchian

I wish we were just now having our first day over 90.  We had a week of over 100 and then the next week it was 50's & 60's and storms.

I just make sure to drink a lot of water and if it feels like I'm getting to hot I take a break from what I'm doing, or at least slow down.

reno1014

My mom used to tell us if we got too hot to run cool water over our wrists for a few mins. before drinking anything very cold.  And to always
drink slowly.  I cant remember why, but she would always remind us during the summer of that.  She said that if we had to gulp alot of water to quench our thirst
after being outside we were out there too long, without hydration.  Here in Texas we have been over 102 for the last week, but along with that is also
the wonderful dirt storms so there is always a "breeze".  Its still HOT.

knabe

hat's with those chamois tails that you soak, which i couldn't find.  here's some other tools.

http://www.ergodyne.com/company.aspx?id=newsreleases&row=82
http://www.discountsafetygear.com/mihahatpadwi.html
http://www.westernsafety.com/allegro2006/allegropg8.html
http://www.coolerbars.com/
http://pages.prodigy.net/volksware/volksware/cobber.htm
http://www.watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm

BCCC

Our forst 90 degree days where back at the end of march. Now we are having our first 103 days :'(

kanshow

We had a beast of a day with heat, humidity, & wind..  I know it's only going to get worse. 

red

SD said:
Avoid the sun! :p

Sleep during the day and only come out at night. ;)
<alien>

Whay happens? The more sun the stronger your glow is?  <alien> <alien>
Can an alien get a sunburn? what do you call it? an earth burn?  (lol)

Red

ShowmanQ

Just saw on the news that our county (Fairfield) is the hottest in central Ohio this morning.  <party> YAY WHIP-EEEEEE!!!! Woke up and it was 78 which is about 3 degress higher than everyone else around us, supposed to be about 93 by the end of the day and it has been a super "wet" heat. Humidity is the thing that is so terrible...Not that i am complaining, it could be much worse and I know for a fact that we have it easy compared to some.

Show Dad

red said:
SD said:

<alien>

Red

No actually the globe I wear has a magnifying effect and our head will catch on fire! It happened to my cousin and now he's the light of the party!! :p
<alien>

cattlejunky

red said:
SD said:

<alien>

Red

I think SD must be a vampire alien.

cattlejunky

SD said:
Not into the blood sucking scene. But do like my steaks on the rare side! :eek: :p ;)
<alien>

I knew there was something wrong with you!  My husband likes a rare steak and I just about gag everytime.  I like mine nice and brown.  I'd like to borrow your ray gun sometime so I could cook without the grill.

Show Dad

cattlejunky said:
SD said:
Not into the blood sucking scene. But do like my steaks on the rare side! :eek: :p ;)
<alien>

I knew there was something wrong with you!  My husband likes a rare steak and I just about gag everytime.  I like mine nice and brown.  I'd like to borrow your ray gun sometime so I could cook without the grill.
The old ray gun tends to vaporize the steak. I like using a particle accelerator it does a better job while still giving you something to eat. <alien>

cowz

red said:
We're going to have our first 90 degree day. Seems like Ohio jumps from Spring to Summer wham bam.
What are some tips for keeping cool? I am really bothered by hot, humid weather. Can actually get violently sick.

here are some of mine:
I use a cooling vest that was made for MS patients. You put ice packs in it. It's expensive but to me a life saver. If anyone interested in more information give me a PM.
Also drink plenty of fluids. Try to avoid caffeine  :( & alcohol as much as possible.
Take breaks if possible
EAT small meals more often

Anyone else?

I drove over Vail Pass (10,000 Ft) this morning......snowing like a banshee and 34 degrees.......how about you guys taking me in for the summer?