Tips on stalls looking good at shows

Help Support Steer Planet:

gocanes719

linnettejane said:
i love decorating our stall at the county fair....usually go with a patriotic "country"  theme...everything is color coordinated...i like adding flowers and ferns to the display...and you cant forget the "candy bowl"(secret weapon to getting lots and lots of people to stop and look at your cattle)......

oh, and the horse hay bags are awesome!!! almost no mess from the hay!  hang one bag inbetween two calves....

here's a pic from our county fair last year...

i did have little red white and blue rugs laying over the straw....but by the end of the week, they had pretty much had it...if you catch my drift...lol....

I would shy away from the horse hay bags.  You don't see many professionals using those.  If those were for cattle they would be called Cattle hay bags.  Not trying to be rud <cowboy>

red

Linnettejane it looks fantastic! I always thought of using hay bags too. It would sure keep the hay from being scattered all over. Great job!  (thumbsup) (clapping) <party>

Red

CPL

Do those hay bags really work? I have almost bought a couple, but wondered if they really worked. About them not being cattle bags, hey anything that will save money is a plus!

linnettejane

yes they work great!!!  you dont have all that mess in your stall......

i dont really care if the "professionals" use them or not...i am going to...keeps my stall cleaner and neater...and hardly any hay wasted...

minimoo38

BCCC said:
How do you guys pack your wood shavings into the stall dividors to make it firm??

on any bedding, we layer it. we put down a layer of bedding, wet it thoroughly, and then walk on it, and use metal forks, to pack it. we keep doing this until we have it built up the way that we like it. it takes a few hours, but it is perfect in the end.  (thumbsup)

Rocky Hill Simmental

Good tips. I do a lot of them when I'm sitting up my cattle's stall at my district show but a few of them I never even thought of.  ;)

I always make sure to match all my heifers lead ropes and neck ties. I like the red/white ones. They look nice on my black/bwf cattle. Actually, about any color looks good on black cattle.  ;)

I used hay bags one year but it wasn't as nice at the place I show. Instead of wood, we have actual gates between the cattle and the steer across from my heifers kept swinging them over to his side and eating all their hay. I ended up taking them down and letting them eat their hay off the ground.

I hand make all my pedigree signs. I cut a poster board in half first. I type all my calves' information on mirosoft word and put it in big font and print it out. Then I get their pictures taken and print those out too. Then, I just glue them to the poster board. I also punch holes in the poster board so I'll have a place to hang their ribbons.

I usually use shavings for my stall too. This year I can't though because I'm showing a bred heifer. I guess I'll use straw.  ;D

garett

Rocky Hill said:
I usually use shavings for my stall too. This year I can't though because I'm showing a bred heifer. I guess I'll use straw.  ;D

Why cant you use shavings? I dont get it?!

BCCC

simtal said:
so how many trailers do you bring to show to carry all that stuff????
Only 2 32 foot stock trailers.... why do you ask ???  ;D You would be amazed at what u can do when You stack stuff right The chutes, and dividors on the side of the trailer, and the wood chips and feed in the nose, and then the show boxes, hay, fans, director chairs and blowers go in the front stall, and then you have the next stall or 2 depending on the size of your trailer for your calves

Ruchian

We don't even need that much room.  Of course at my main show right now  you set up before you actually bring the animals and you are required to use the supplied bedding, which unfortunately is sand.

DLD

It seems like herdsmanship has gone downhill over the years. Way back when I was showing it seemed like everbody made the effort to keep their stalls and aisles neat and clean, nowadays it almost seems like it's the exception instead of the rule.

Personally, I'm for neat and clean, and open and inviting. The goal should be to display the cattle (and in the case of junior shows, the kids). Often junior shows these days are so crowded that it makes it hard to do, though. No offense to anyone, it's just my opinion, but things like  bunches of Christmas lights and/or plants around the cattle just make the cattle harder to see (and get to). If you have room to set it up in some sort of display with information about the kids, or beef, or something pertinent to showing cattle, then go for it. It's prob'ly needless to say at this point, but I'm not a fan of the hay bags, either... lol.

But all that said, please understand that I admire and appreciate anyone who makes the effort to make their stalls clean and attractive, even if I don't share their decorating tastes. I'd many times rather be stalled next to you than someone that doesn't even try at all.

But most of all, concerning setting up and making beds, I just have to say this - I appreciate that wood chips need to be wet down, but please, please restrain yourself from flooding your neighbors while wetting down your bedding. At one state fair, I literally had to turn off the water and unhook the hose for a young lady who had been wetting down one stall (that's one - room for a single calf) for a solid hour. There was water flowing freely out from under the bedding and down the center aisle and bubbling up through our bedding next to it, not to mention flooding the feed aisle in front (I did ask nicely first - she said her fitters told her to do that 'til they came back and told her to stop - I asked her to send them to me if they had a problem with her stopping - apparently they didn't...) . Then there was the jackpot show last winter where we'd left our blowers and clippers and pads next to the chutes and went up to the ring to watch the heifer we'd just dressed. When we came back there was literally 2 inches of water standing around our chutes from someone making beds across the fence in front of us...  I'm sorry, but if you feel that's absolutely necessary, please have the courtesy to get there early and get it over with before everybody else has to put up with it.

I'm also curious about why not bedding bred heifers on chips/shavings?

kanshow

I think using sand as bedding has really helped kill herdsmanship - especially at the smaller shows.  Our county fair went to sand several years ago.    It is hard to deal with at best and most of the time - unless you get choice stall - there isn't enough to work up into a decent bed.  Then you have the once-a-year showers who just treat it as a no- bed show and end up with a big ol' wet wallow hole in the sand - might mention these are also the folks who don't tie out.   

What does everyone do at one day shows vs multiple day shows?    I guess for us, we don't take the time to do any extra decorating at the one days.  There are also shows where I expect to see people go the extra mile - Jr. Natl's is one. 

kanshow

our fair doesnt have tie outs
But I bet you clean and redo/refresh your stall. ;)  The ones I'm talking about never touch their stalls. 

Never had a problem with getting mastitis in our breds.
.    Never heard of that either..

Way back in my day...    all we used was straw and there is an art to making a good straw bed! 

SWMO

We just put in tie outs at our county fair this past year and what a difference it makes getting the cattle out of the stalls and onto different ground for the night.  The cattle act so much fresher in the mornings.

We get shaving donated from a local hardwood facility.  The only problem I have with it is that since our kids show Charolais' the variety of shavings mixed oak, pine and probably other hardwoods also stain our calves ALOT.  I also have a slight concern with their being walnut mixed in the shavings.

cattlejunky

Rocky Hill said:
Good tips. I do a lot of them when I'm sitting up my cattle's stall at my district show but a few of them I never even thought of.  ;)

I always make sure to match all my heifers lead ropes and neck ties. I like the red/white ones. They look nice on my black/bwf cattle. Actually, about any color looks good on black cattle.  ;)

I used hay bags one year but it wasn't as nice at the place I show. Instead of wood, we have actual gates between the cattle and the steer across from my heifers kept swinging them over to his side and eating all their hay. I ended up taking them down and letting them eat their hay off the ground.

I hand make all my pedigree signs. I cut a poster board in half first. I type all my calves' information on mirosoft word and put it in big font and print it out. Then I get their pictures taken and print those out too. Then, I just glue them to the poster board. I also punch holes in the poster board so I'll have a place to hang their ribbons.

On your signs I have found that you can buy 8 1/2" x 11" sticker paper.  You can get it in clear or white.  white is easier to find.  Print from the printer just like paper it saves the gluing it.  I like to use microsoft word to do my signs also.  You can use the fading of colors and patterns.