TN Beef Agribition Shorthorn sale

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortdawg

I have a JPJ x Primabella pregnancy in there as well as some Sonny/Shadra embryos. 229-388-7038

GM

This is an interesting line-up of cattle.  I like it when I see a good mix of different genetics.  I hope the buyers come out to support everyone. 

Someone mentioned the lot 46 opportunity in a previous post.  I find it very intriguing, and am curious what others would have for mating suggestions on two full irish shorthorns.  Do you stay irish? What would you use to create great, moderate replacement females (not necessarily show heifers)? Or something else.  Who knows, maybe the thoughts from the crowd will stimulate buyer interest!

shortdawg

Not the best quality picture since it's actually a picture of a picture but this steer is a half sib to the pregnancy I'm selling in the TN Sale.

Attachments

• IMG00224.jpg
    IMG00224.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 493

aj

I often wondered how great the shorthorn breed could be if they would take the top 100 show heifers of the year. Then they would take these cattle and dump them out in Eastern Colorado for a year. Then if they would take the 10 survivors and embryo transplant them to some common sense bulls the Shorthorn breed would dominate the beef industry. But to be honest I think I will puke if I hear of one more Shorthorn pregnancy or flush from some Shorthorn cow that would not last 10 minutes in the real world. It literally makes me ill to see the Shorthorn breed take natural selection and common sense out of selection.

justintime

I would suggest that this is a case of supply and demand, and it is no different than at any time in history. There will always be genetics that will work and won't work in different environments. You have to know what will work in your environment and select those genetics. It is no different in the Shorthorn breed than it is in any other breed. If you don't like some of the genetics offered, simply let those who do like them purchase them. I don't see anything different with this, than in any other breed. Over the years I have raised many breeds of cattle, and there have been cattle in every breed that I did not think were suited to my place. Some of these genetics you don't like have been very successful in many programs. If they were not working somewhere, it would not take long for people to figure this out and not bid on them. It has been this way for ever.

Several years ago, we took 50 bulls to a range bull sale in Sturgis, SD.About 1/2 the bulls were our own and the rest were owned by some well known breeders from these parts.There were Black and Red Angus, Shorthorn, Hereford, Charolais and Simmental bulls in our consignment.  There were about 1000 bulls in the sale and there was many ranchers from Montana, Arizona, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, and Oregon there. It was a great lesson in what works in their specific environments. These ranchers selected their bulls almost in opposite order than they would be selected in many other areas of the country. I had about 50 Horned Hereford cows at the time and one ranch in Wyoming purchased 12 Horned Hereford bulls from me. After the sale, I was visiting with this rancher and he said that they flew their plane over the heifer pasture 3 times a week during calving, and flew over the cow calving pastures once a week. He said that if it looked like there were too many deaths, they would then ride the pastures to get a better idea of what was happening. I also mentioned to him that I would stop in and see how the bulls were doing when I was on my way to Denver. He told me I was more than welcome to do this, and that this could take awhile,as the bulls could be scattered over 200 sq miles of winter pasture.  Obviously, this cattleman would need different cattle than someone living on 40 acres in central Illinois.

I have always felt that we were very fortunate to have a wide variety of genetics available. Many other breeds have a much more limited gene pool. Having these breeding options are a plus NOT a minus for a breed. Select what works for you, and allow others to do the same. That is a good part of what makes this business great. We all can have own own opportunity to " build a better beast".

aj

In theory somebody could come into the Shorthorn breed and buy an unlimited flush in some great mating. I asume Sonny and Trump and Solution and Rodeo Drive and whoever the hotshots are today. They could sell al the embryos out of this mating. Could they not become builders of the breed and breeder of the milinium and not own a live animal. They could never buy a protein tub, never put a staple in a hedge post. Never put out a salt block or never put out a bag of igr mineral. Never step in a cow pie,or watch a live birth. Never watch a th defective calf get thrown out in the crp field to die. Never watch a pha sliced and diced mother get drug into the dead pile. Never see a thunderhead storm roll in or a 7 year drought. Never see a couple bulls fight or young calves frolick in the sun and figure out to do their first buck move. They may never have to open a gate or treat a prarie dog mound or watch the dog duck into the calving pen and drag off the award winning mass of afterbirth before being chased by 7 1st calf heifers. You could be the greatest breeder in Shorthorn history and never walk out of the house. Its a video game. Make some phone calls get the credit card out. Reserve rooms in Denver and Kentucky 1 year ahead of time. How dare they call us as dedicated show ring people "hobbie cattle" people! Its just plain wrong!

justintime

Great theory!  If it works this easy, more of us should be trying to do this. I think I have done my share of work in my lifetime, to deserve to get some glory without having to ever step in another cow pie. Please send me more details as I am sincerely interested... Mind you, I have never had to drag a pha sliced and diced cow to the dead pile, so maybe I have not paid all my dues yet. I certainly have done all the other things, with the exception of  taking a th defective calf to a crp field to die.... that is just wrong!

aj

If you wrote a book I think would be a great start. Not sure you would outsell Sarah Palen's book though. I personally am holding out for DL's book. Don't you Canadians ever sleep? ;D

shortdawg

The young man that is selling Lot 14 " raised " his own State Champion Shorty heifer. I've seen the Lot 14 and she's pretty sharp.

John R

shortdawg said:
The young man that is selling Lot 14 " raised " his own State Champion Shorty heifer. I've seen the Lot 14 and she's pretty sharp.

Thank you very much 'shortdawg'. The white heifer I have consigned to the Tn Beef Agribition is a maternal sibling to the bred and owned heifer i had that was 4th Overall at the Ga Jr National Livestock Show. We just got her clipped out for the sale and I think some people will be shocked when they see her. Huge middled, clean made, and sound. If anyone has any questions about lots 13 or 14 feel free to give me a call at 423-290-6002.

John