Told its not a good idea to trim/trimming hair causes calf to shed winter coat

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sambosu

My son's steer has hair that is at least 5 inches long but hasn't been trimmed since September.  He hasn't been trimmed because we were told, by a very respected man/extremely successful in the show steer business, if we trim his face or any part of his body he will start to shed his winter coat.  We have followed his advice but the bad thing is the calf hasn't been shown in 4 months and he won't be shown for another 2 months.  Currently he isn't losing any hair so that is good.  My concern is the calf might not act very well at the county or state show (lay down, drink water, show) since it has been so long since he has left our place/been shown. What reccommendations do you have for me to make sure my son's calf acts good at his last two shows and your thought about not trimming a calf due to risking the chance they start shedding their hair?   

HeiferShower14

Ive never heard that if you clip them theyll shed? I know alot of people keep heads shaved so theyll look good and it may keep them alittle cooler. For his next two shows to prepare, tie him up and down everyday, feed and water him, from a feed pan like at the show annd a water bucket. Practice leading him around and setting him up too. Good luck!

AAOK

Sambosu said:
What reccommendations do you have for me to make sure my son's calf acts good at his last two shows     

Clip that sucker and Show Him.  I'll never understand why anybody would pour feed in a Show Calf, and show it only once or twice!  We showed every month except July, because there weren't any shows.  Sure, when the temp was 100+ the calves didn't have as much hair; it was HOT!!  CLIP CLIP CLIP! SHOW SHOW SHOW!!! 

MCC

We always try to keep our cattle clipped year round. I think it helps thicken out their hair coat especially in the winter. When it is hot it helps keep them cooler. You are much better of if he sheds his hair now instead of a week or two before your show.

CANsteer

to get him ready for the show, tie him up with a buddy durring the day (a couple weeks before the show) and only feed them from a feed pan and water with a pail durring the day. at night let them lose and they can drink all the want. it won't take long for them to learn to eat and drink from the pan and pail. and most of all, keep practising walking and setting up so that he doesn't forget

MCC

I don't know where you are from but where I live calves won't start shedding until late fall early summer. If your show is in March I don't think you have to worry about shedding. I would clip him so you can start working that short hair underneath. CANsteer is right feed him out of a tub and water him out of a bucket just like you will at the show. If you can find a show or two to go to in between GO!

pjkjr4

Sambosu- I respectfully disagree with some of these folks here, depending what your family's goals are, and what time the steer will show as a fat. If you (like us) are are coming up on what you've ultimately worked towards all year, wait until the week of the show. We live in NC Oklahoma, and we've had some VERY warm weather in the last 2 weeks. It's to the point that we're not even touching our steers with anything but water and blower air. Our cattle were clipped 10 days before Christmas for a jackpot, and they won't be clipped again until March 1 for our district show. Our county is the week before that, and we'll show them as-is.

I'm a firm believer that this time of year, the daylight length makes as much difference as temperature does, where we live. We had one last year that our goal was to give him a shot at our county (last week of February), and the last show, our state, was the 3rd week of March. That steer had NO hair left by then. I promised myself that I wouldn't do that to either of my kids again.

As far as getting him ready for a show, I have a friend that will load up their cattle several times through the year, drive somewhere....anywhere.....unload them, tie them to the trailer, and feed them. It works well for them, since they don't jackpot any.

Hope this helps.

chambero

All of these posts are right.  It doesnt hurt a thing to clip one - until the days start lengthening to the point hair quits growing- which is roughly 30-45 days from now.  Also, a calf's hair looks the best right after he's first clipped after being wooly.  My advice- clip him now to make it easier to work with and then let it grow till a week before your major. 

rjb

This works both ways....if your in Iowa right now and clip one out you will be fine because cattle adapt to temperature. Being that its 5° outside the calf thinks it needs warmth therefore won't chuck hair but in summer as soon as hair comes off they think its time to get rid of the rest! Thats why the big boys don't touch a clipper to one till right before the show

ColdWthr

Don't clip him till right before the show!!! Sometimes they'll shuck some hair when you clip them, in fact had on do it last week in Denver.  Just rinse and blow, blow, blow. Besides, the only time it really matters how he looks is when he walks in the ring!!!

Sambosu

I appreciate everyones comments.  I will definitely follow the advice on feeding and watering him while tied up.  PJKJR4, I live in Oklahoma as well.  You are right, this winter has been extremely warm.

Last year (my family's/son first year showing) I didn't follow the "don't clip rule" exactly and things worked out okay.  We showed my sons OYE steer many times September through November.  Once December hit we stopped showing because he didn't have much hair.  He grew a little more hair between December and the end of January.  Once February hit the steer wanted to rub on everything.  I had to put an electric fence around everything to stop him.  I would also get a lot of hair on my hands when I would check to see if his hair was dry after blowing it out.  I was told to keep him in the dark, with fans on him all day and use a rag oil solution.  He kept what hair he had in February till OYE but he wasn't as hairy as he was the previous spring. He also showed great but this calf was every persons dream when it came to acting right in the show ring.  He was chewing his cud in the waiting area during his first show as a prospect. 

The issue with losing hair early seems to be an issue that a couple people I know around here are already facing.  They can't even feed a round bale any more because it just turns into a scratching post. 

MCC

If your calf is rubbing now he probably has lice. I'd pour him just to be safe.

Sambosu

I put Cydectin on all my calves the first day of January. The stuff seemed to work well last year and didn't irritate the skin.

pjkjr4

I used Cydectin on Jan 1 also, and then on Jan 4th sprayed the area with Hocus Pocus to get rid of the rest. I will use Ivomec pour-on this weekend just to be on the safe side, and then scrub it out again in a few days so we don't burn the hide, and pray we don't have any problems for the next 57 days. As far as the clipping goes, figure out what the realistic, ultimate goal is, and clip for that show. IMO, these rascals are just too expensive, and you've worked too hard to potentially sacrafice giving yourself a shot at that goal. I'll quit rambling now.

Sambosu said:
I put Cydectin on all my calves the first day of January. The stuff seemed to work well last year and didn't irritate the skin.

chambero

pjkjr4 said:
I used Cydectin on Jan 1 also, and then on Jan 4th sprayed the area with Hocus Pocus to get rid of the rest. I will use Ivomec pour-on this weekend just to be on the safe side, and then scrub it out again in a few days so we don't burn the hide, and pray we don't have any problems for the next 57 days. As far as the clipping goes, figure out what the realistic, ultimate goal is, and clip for that show. IMO, these rascals are just too expensive, and you've worked too hard to potentially sacrafice giving yourself a shot at that goal. I'll quit rambling now.

Sambosu said:

I strongly recommend the Cydectin over Ivomec pour on.  Much less skin irritation because its oil based.  Additionally - with either - leaving them on overnight is long enough.  You can wash several hours after application.  It doesn't require a few days.

pjkjr4

Did not know that....you learn something new everyday.

chambero said:
pjkjr4 said:

Sambosu said:

I strongly recommend the Cydectin over Ivomec pour on.  Much less skin irritation because its oil based.  Additionally - with either - leaving them on overnight is long enough.  You can wash several hours after application.  It doesn't require a few days.