too late to breed?

Help Support Steer Planet:

pepper

i would think that 24 hours after standing heat is too late, i would try 10 to 12 hours after standing heat.

VJ

I would try it early (7:00ish) tomorrow. I have better luck breeding "too late" than breeding early.

Jill

We have found it's not necessarily when they came in as much as when they go out, if she was going out at 10 you probably missed her, but if she's still showing signs of heat you may be ok.

worthabit

Jill said:
We have found it's not necessarily when they came in as much as when they go out, if she was going out at 10 you probably missed her, but if she's still showing signs of heat you may be ok.
At 4:00 there were 2 others coming in and she was hanging around them, didn't see her stand but when I went behind her and touched her tailhead, she pinned her ears back. I don't know, there are lots more to breed, maybe I'll leave her.

OH Breeder

The way we have always done it is the evening and morning following cessation of standing heat. Usually 10 to 16 hours post is good time to breed. You can also give a shot of GNRH when you AI that has always helped with our conception rate.

CAB

I'd have em breed her if the semen is $50.00 or less. If it were higher than that I may wait one cycle. JMO.

CAB

The GNRH will help with the ones that we have a tendency to want to breed too early. It makes to cow drop the follicle, but the cows that we are breeding too late, it won't help that situation.

OH HSC

worthabit said:
Jill said:
At 4:00 there were 2 others coming in and she was hanging around them, didn't see her stand but when I went behind her and touched her tailhead, she pinned her ears back. I don't know, there are lots more to breed, maybe I'll leave her.

This is great advice in my opinion. We AI everything and we have a gomer bull at both farms. Cows and heifers stand for different amounts of time. Last year we had some cows that stood as few as 8 hours and we had one Angus heifer that stood for close to 30 hours. I very much agree that it is better to breed a little late than too early. I bred a cow two days ago that was found already standing at 5:30A.M., turned the gomer back in and she stood at 7:00 PM, and was still standing at 5:30 the next morning. In this case we bred her twice. This is a common practice for us. We work away from the farm and it just costs a little extra for semen.