Top 5 Bulls in 2012 Video

Help Support Steer Planet:

starz20

well, we must travel in different parts of ohio.  As much semen on Eye Candy that is sold vs. those bulls, Eye Candy won quite a few state fairs last year, not to shabby.  He's my pick for both champs and replacements.  But everyone has opinions and I'm not going to go round and round with young people on a messageboard.  I'm out.  Carry on. 

knabe

Thread belongs in the semen for sale section.

Perhaps we could make this more challenging.

What are the cows these calves are out of by these dead end bulls?

The bigger cost to the industry is the females out of these bulls.

Judges have to deal with them or they don't get picked to come back, owners have to deal with them cause they don't breed back, sellers have to deal with them as buyers don't come back to buy more steer bulls.

I'm surprised these bull owners don't concentrate the semen a little more and sex select it.  Heck even make both sexes available and then start bragging about semen sales and the ratios of male to female sperm.

CAB

As far as BIM. being the crowd favorite @ NWSS in 2011, the only bull that I heard about from PPL was Smilin Bob. I like BIM actually better than WA, but heard way more about SB that year & Hard Whiskey this year. What are PPL's thoughts about having to take the same amount of semen from another bull of Lautner's or Top Sires to get your I-80 quickly & what do the PPL that are on the waiting list for I80 semen think about it? I guess I'll say that I don't like the idea myself, but that's JMO.

rackranch

From what Ive seen traveling around buying show stock for this year the list is pretty dang close.  A lot of  Walks Alone, Monopoly, and Heatwave calves out there.  We are in the South so for this part of the country I would have to add Troubador and Solid Gold to the list for Charolias influenced cattle.  Of course several of these bulls go back to Heatwave so I think he will be on the list in some form or fashion for some time to come.  BTW I saw some nice Smiling Bob calves too.

vet tech

Being your down south I expected there to probably be more solid gold and milkman than i80 and monopoly. Just would be my guess lol

chambero

I like seeing someone actually involved in the business on this site actually trying to promote something.  Doesn't bother me at all.

Of course there are other good bulls out there.  I wouldn't argue with him on whether or not these 5 will sell more semen than anyone else.

Monopoly works just fine down south also.  My only gripe is I didn't start using him two years quicker.

Mueller Show Cattle

In my opinion, Walks Alone was a sleeper early on and now he is no secret, yes he is my favorite bull and have said that in lots of posts, he beats BIM hands down. Not that I don't like BIM, he does not build them as thick in the calves I have seen so far this spring. I think this is a very accurate list, I carry semen out of 4 of those bulls that I try and keep on hand, BIM is the only one I don't have semen on those 5 bulls. Eye Candy is a good bull, but he would make that list in my opinion, BIM would not be on the list and I would have Milkman on it. But as far as semen sales Eye Candy does not even come close to the amount of semen 3 of those bulls (HW, Monopoly, Walks Alone) have sold and I expect I-80 and many others to pass Eye Candy this year with him being $50 a straw, it is going to drop his sales even more. Walks Alone, HW, Monopoly and I-80 (mainly heifers) that I will be breeding most of my stock with.

chambero

Random recollections of winners in TX over the past year have been:

State Fair of Texas - Walks Along grand, don't remember what reserve was
Fort Worth - Heat Wave Grand, Monopoly Reserve.  JPJ sired Champion shortie
San Antonio - Solid Gold Grand, don't remember reserve.  Champion Maine - Yellowjacket, Reserve Maine Walks Alone
Houston - Solid Gold sired Grand and Reserve, Troubador Champion Chi

Milkman won Fort Worth last year.  Monopoly won Houston a couple of years ago, Heat Wave since till this year.

There is a Walks Alone steer that passed from Rogers through Austin to Bonham that has won our first two biggest prospect show this spring.  Don't know what he'll wind up like, but he's blowing everything out of the water right now. 

I used Eye Candy some last fall, but have never heard of his calves winning anything. 

OH Breeder

chambero said:
Random recollections of winners in TX over the past year have been:

State Fair of Texas - Walks Along grand, don't remember what reserve was
Fort Worth - Heat Wave Grand, Monopoly Reserve.  JPJ sired Champion shortie
San Antonio - Solid Gold Grand, don't remember reserve.  Champion Maine - Yellowjacket, Reserve Maine Walks Alone
Houston - Solid Gold sired Grand and Reserve, Troubador Champion Chi

Milkman won Fort Worth last year.  Monopoly won Houston a couple of years ago, Heat Wave since till this year.

There is a Walks Alone steer that passed from Rogers through Austin to Bonham that has won our first two biggest prospect show this spring.  Don't know what he'll wind up like, but he's blowing everything out of the water right now. 

I used Eye Candy some last fall, but have never heard of his calves winning anything. 

Under the bull are some of his winners

http://www.trauschfarms.com/provensires.html

farmboy

executive37 said:
These are my top 5 due to the fact their 2012 spring calf crops have been the most consistent and high quality of current club calf bulls in service that I've seen as I've traveled through 15 states and about 20,000 miles and looked at calves.

They may not work for everyone but on the average these sires are the top 5 in the business at this stage of the game for siring champions and top sellers!

For everyone talking about "Selling the most Semen" right here is what chris is listing as his criteria.

I still don't see how I-80 is 2nd

WJ Farms

Chambero what shows did that WA win and is there a picture of him?? I would like to see him? Was he the one that won the TJLA Camp show???

Freerider

knabe said:
Thread belongs in the semen for sale section.

Perhaps we could make this more challenging.

What are the cows these calves are out of by these dead end bulls?

The bigger cost to the industry is the females out of these bulls.

Judges have to deal with them or they don't get picked to come back, owners have to deal with them cause they don't breed back, sellers have to deal with them as buyers don't come back to buy more steer bulls.

I'm surprised these bull owners don't concentrate the semen a little more and sex select it.  Heck even make both sexes available and then start bragging about semen sales and the ratios of male to female sperm.

This pretty much sums up my opinion as well, I would pay double every time for sexed bull semen.

ZERO use for females out of these bulls, its nice to win some ribbons but they have work to do after that.  If i can't sell them, I ship them.

starz20

GONEWEST said:
I guess I missed all of the Eye Candy steers that won state fairs?

Grand Champion Steer, 2011 Indiana State Fair, Sired by Eye Candy, Shown by DJ Martin

Grand Champion Steer, 2011 Wisconsin State Fair, Sired by Eye Candy, Shown by Colton Sullivan

Grand Champion Steer, 2011 North Dakota State Fair (New Salem), Sired by Eye Candy

Grand Champion Steer, 2011 Arkansas State Fair, Sired by Eye Candy

Reserve Champion Steer, 2011 Minnesota State Fair, Sired by Eye Candy

and I'm sure there are more but I'm not in the mood to list them all.  And how would ANYONE but Trausch Farms know how much semen Eye Candy is selling???  Are you people serious with "thinking" you know what bull is selling what??? LOL!  From what I'm hearing, they are not having any problem moving his semen at all!  Use Eye Candy, don't use Eye Candy your choice.  I heard the bull got hurt (stifle) and that's the reason for the increase.   

Jacob B

I havn't seen a single I-80 baby yet that I realy liked, but I have only seen a few.  From what I see about the rest...sounds pretty close to me.  I know eye candy has done well for a lot of folks, but I am seeing more and more of his calves, and still I don't see many that are real good.  I don't get out to a lot of clubby deals, just see what stands out at shows to me I guess more than anything and I still don't care for the eye candy babies that I see.  Just my opinion, I know I'm probably not allowed to have one, but sometimes I just can't help it....settle down there kids.  I think it's just a thread on board, nothing to get so worked up about.

Latest posts