Torching

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

have only seen it done but know you need someone w/ more coordination than me!

Running joke here is that when we first got married I was burning some big cardboard boxes. Flames got too high & I got too close. burnt my bangs & some eyebrows. lol

inthebarnagain

My husband got started doing it for sales.  It works a lot faster and in the hands of someone who knows how to use one, can eliminate a LOT of clipping.  All of our calves that we are getting ready to show or sell get torched first thing.  You can eliminate about 3 hours of blocking out in 20 minutes.  However, in the wrong hands you can burn one easy.  Plus they need to be reasonably free of debris, mud won't burn but burrs will light up quick!

The downside is, for a week or so afterwards it takes lots of TLC to get the haircoat acceptable again.  They will be like velcro at first, everything sticks to the singed hair. 

ROAD WARRIOR

I like to torch about 3 weeks ahead of a show. Do not camp in one spot too long and keep a comb in one hand to put out the fire with. DO NOT!!! torch one that has been recently poured or if you use anything with alcohol mixed in with it to work hair with unless you want a bad fire. When I'm done with the torch I use a mixture of Infusium 23 leave in formula conditioner and olive oil liberaly over the area that was torched and if at all possible I rag it into the hair down to the skin. The torch is a wonderful tool when used correctly and at the right time and much faster than a set of shears. RW

renegade

I like how its quicker and doesnt leave lines and there is less chance of putting a hole in the hair. The person that taught me too do it would torch a little, comb, torch a little, comb