Toughest 2010 Midwest State Fair Steer Show

Help Support Steer Planet:

STEER_1981

So far, which Midwest state had the toughest steer show this year? 

I was at the Illinois junior show, Illinois open show, and the Iowa junior show.  The grand champion at the Illinois junior show was my personal favorite.  He had a great profile and was extremely thick and square.  Overall though, I thought the quality ran deeper at the Iowa junior show.

iowabeef

There may be better top ends at other fairs but I think it would be hard to beat the depth in both the breeding and market shows at the Iowa State Fair.  So much tradition and support that kids want to be a part of it and do well. 

Hoosier

I'm probably a little biased, but judging by pictures and videos, I'd have to say the best steers i have seen the last few years have been at the Indiana Stat Fair.  A bunch of good ones end up finding homes in the Hoosier state and these guys can get one fed and lookin right!  And the heifer game is no slouch here either, as last years champion heifer went on to win Supreme in the Jr. show at NAILE.

advocate

Really hoosier is that why you guys have to come buy them in iowa and truth be told we keep the best ones here there's no way cattle east of the mississippi can compete here

TMJ Show Cattle

I've seen some great calves from both places. Probably a little deeper in Iowa. Great calves are raised in both states,then again, Iowa gets the edge. As far a quality at shows,the upper 25 percent at both shows can compete most anywhere. But in my humble opinion,Ft. Worth and Oklahoma City are still the two best haired steer and heifer shows , as far as deepest quality and numbers.

chevelle

TMJ Show Cattle said:
I've seen some great calves from both places. Probably a little deeper in Iowa. Great calves are raised in both states,then again, Iowa gets the edge. As far a quality at shows,the upper 25 percent at both shows can compete most anywhere. But in my humble opinion,Ft. Worth and Oklahoma City are still the two best haired steer and heifer shows , as far as deepest quality and numbers.
Been to IA, Wis, IL, IN.  Iowa would have to surface pretty easy.  Then IL, IN, then Wis.  But FT. Worth n OK City r over them.  Was at Iowa last year I thought the quality was the same as this year, but the judge was looking for little different stlye.

ebyoder

I was not at Iowa or Illinois this year but for those that were not at Missouri you missed a great steer show.  Very deep!  First time I have been there and wasn't expecting much but was very impressed!

SmokesRule

advocate said:
Really hoosier is that why you guys have to come buy them in iowa and truth be told we keep the best ones here there's no way cattle east of the mississippi can compete here

Really advocate? Well at the 2010 indiana state fair, the grand steer came from Heath and Caldwell, not from iowa. The res grand came from sutherly and Gray, not from iowa. The 3rd steer came from Reiman, rogers, and Goet, so you could say he traveled through iowa. The 4th steer was raised in Indiana, not from iowa, and the 5th steer again was from indiana, not iowa. The grand and res heifer were also from Indiana, not iowa.  Yes, some years the top steers in the state come thru sales from iowa at some point in their lives, but they are just as likely to come from anywhere else too. Nebraska and South Dakota RAISE more good ones than iowa by a long shot. Yes, iowa probably has the best steer traders  in the nation right now, i won't argue that. But not every good steer in indiana comes from iowa.

And as far as "there's no way cattle east of the mississippi can compete here", thats strictly a year to year thing. Some years, yes, iowas got the stoutest show. Some years indiana, illinois, or ohio are toughest. Having not been to any in 2010 besides indy's i cant say which one was tougher this year. just my 2 cents

Beau

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

indiana and iowa both have really good animals, i dont think one state can dominate because on any given day there is always someone better. Ft. worth,Denver,and Louisville have the best cattle jr. and open shows period. They are what i call the majors.