tow rigs

Help Support Steer Planet:

bolt

I was moving cows this weekend down 70 in Indiana passing trucks and trailers and saw all kinds of trucks pulling u name it.  Just curious what people all over drive and how they are set up.  Diesel or gas, manual or auto, dually or single wheel.  I drive a 01 dodge dually with a 5sp.  Not bragging but not stock fender and the side of my trailer tells the story.  So if u want to share i would like to know. 

DLD

Okay, I'll bite - trucks prob'ly come right behind cattle for my favorite things to talk about.  I drive an '05 Ford F250, 6.0L diesel, torqueshift auto, 4X4, longbed supercab, single rear wheels.  All stock for about another 4K miles, but I've got some ideas for when the warranty's gone.  I pull a 24 x 6'8" Circle D (steel) stock trailer, and I get along pretty well with it.

chiangus

DLD said:
Okay, I'll bite - trucks prob'ly come right behind cattle for my favorite things to talk about.  I drive an '05 Ford F250, 6.0L diesel, torqueshift auto, 4X4, longbed supercab, single rear wheels.  All stock for about another 4K miles, but I've got some ideas for when the warranty's gone.  I pull a 24 x 6'8" Circle D (steel) stock trailer, and I get along pretty well with it.

How many injectors, egr, turbos, and engines have you been through?  ;D  Really, have you had any problems with your 6.0.  We bought one when they first came out and it was in the shop for 2 months straight, they bought it back through the lemon law and we bought a cummins.

Did they ever get their act together on the 6.0.  They were discounting the 7.3 big time in 2003 because the 6.0 made more power, should have bought a 7.3

Doc

I've got a "99 Ford crewcab dually, 4x4, automatic, 101k miles, edge performance chip, open air intake, custom exhaust front to back. I pull a 20' steel cattle trl & a 24' flat bed trl for tractor & rolls of hay.

BIGTEX

I have a stock '07 Chevy 3/4 ton Allison Trans. 6.6 w/ an auto tranny. I love it ! It has 130,000 on it. I pull a 32' flatbed w/ rounds with no problem. I am buying a Ford in about 3 months, any suggestions?

Jeferin

BIGTEX said:
I have a stock '07 Chevy 3/4 ton Allison Trans. 6.6 w/ an auto tranny. I love it ! It has 130,000 on it. I pull a 32' flatbed w/ rounds with no problem. I am buying a Ford in about 3 months, any suggestions?

Why are you buying a Ford in 3 months if you love your Chevy?

DLD

chiangus said:
DLD said:

How many injectors, egr, turbos, and engines have you been through?  ;D  Really, have you had any problems with your 6.0.  We bought one when they first came out and it was in the shop for 2 months straight, they bought it back through the lemon law and we bought a cummins.

Did they ever get their act together on the 6.0.  They were discounting the 7.3 big time in 2003 because the 6.0 made more power, should have bought a 7.3

I think the 6.0's got alot better as time went by.  At 97K miles, everything you asked about except the EGR is still original.  At around 92K it got hard to start when the motor was warm, so I took it in and they rebuilt (put new seals in) the high pressure oil pump, and they replaced the EGR valve while they were in there.  Mine has the "buzz flash", which cycles the injectors for like 30 seconds after you kill it, which is supposed to keep them in better shape, and I'm pretty careful to let it warm it up before I take off and give it lots of time to cool down before I kill it.  I also hooked up the high idle, so that if it idles for very long, it automatically increases the rpm's enough to burn off any excess fuel. And I make sure I change the oil (Rotella T semi synth) and filters every 5K and fuel filters at least every 20K.  Simple stuff... though honestly I don't know if it makes that big a difference or if I've just been lucky so far.  Since it's approaching the 100K mark, I'd be lying if I said I don't worry a little about all the 6.0 horror stories too, but it's been awfully good to me so far, so for now I'm stickin' with it.

BIGTEX

Jeferin said:
BIGTEX said:

It is now Government Motors. I just can't do it. I have bought six Chevys in a row. Hope I like Fords.

CJB

BIGTEX said:
Jeferin said:
BIGTEX said:

It is now Government Motors. I just can't do it. I have bought six Chevys in a row. Hope I like Fords.
I wonder how many people will have this same attitude?  I feel Ford has given themselves the opportunity to create a new customer base of loyal buyers as long as they produce a quality product, thanks to their braintrust not taking any of the "bailout" $$$.  I've always been a Ford fan myself, and I just hope it doesn't raise the prices of a new truck up too much more.

FutureBreeder2013

BIGTEX said:
Jeferin said:
BIGTEX said:

id suggest dodge

DLD

Chrysler took the bail out money, too.  If that's his reason for leaving GM, then I doubt he'd be interested in a Chrysler product either.

Eberth

I've got a 00 7.3 with 180k on it with a tuner, 5in custom exhaust and intake and that thing pulls awesome I pull a 24x8 elite and have no problem rolling down the highway at 85-90 with th trailer on. I absolutely love the truck and plan on rebuilding the motor when the time comes. My parents have a 07 6.0 that knock on wood they haven't had any problems that will flat run also, haven't done anything to turn it up yet have heard too many horror stories about the 6.0's turned up from my uncle who runs a diesel performance shop.

kimbaljd

I think the issues with the motor's are not nearly as bad as people like to make them to be in gossip. You have to figure into the equation of how many are sold. There are a lot more of those Ford's on the road. When diesel prices where low like they where every tom dick and harry went out and bought them an F250 with a diesel engine. So, more trucks on the road means yes there are more stories of trucks with problems. I know a lot of people that drive diesels and every brand has their different "issues".

bolt

They all have problems.  Cummins 12v is the best light truck motor ever built honestly.  The 6.5 gm had head and pump problems the duramax dad head gasket problems when the first came out.  Old faithful 7.3 powerstroke had cam sensor and injector o'ring problems. Even cummins with the 24v motors had block and pump issues.  The common rail cummins motors have soft pistons.  Honestly just have to pick your poison with these trucks.  The 6 liter trucks are honestly not any worse and the others they just got on the news with the whole court thing.  Any of these trucks are going to fail if they get worked hard enough.  I have a 96 ford that has 430 on it and wouldn't give it up for a new one.    We have A 01 dodge that is just to much fun to part with.  Nothing like shutting the road down at a stop light.  In my opion ford trucks rule and a dodge is a shipping crate for a cummins.  Chevy trucks are nice to ride in until the front tires want to wink at each other with a huge load behind them.  I want a truck that rattles and in need be splash some from the the tank in the bed to get home.  Keep buying new ones guys there are pretty of us guys that are happy with ur old ones.

chiangus

bolt said:
They all have problems.   Cummins 12v is the best light truck motor ever built honestly.   The 6.5 gm had head and pump problems the duramax dad head gasket problems when the first came out.   Old faithful 7.3 powerstroke had cam sensor and injector o'ring problems. Even cummins with the 24v motors had block and pump issues.  The common rail cummins motors have soft pistons.  Honestly just have to pick your poison with these trucks.  The 6 liter trucks are honestly not any worse and the others they just got on the news with the whole court thing.   Any of these trucks are going to fail if they get worked hard enough.   I have a 96 ford that has 430 on it and wouldn't give it up for a new one.    We have A 01 dodge that is just to much fun to part with.  Nothing like shutting the road down at a stop light.   In my opion ford trucks rule and a dodge is a shipping crate for a cummins.  Chevy trucks are nice to ride in until the front tires want to wink at each other with a huge load behind them.   I want a truck that rattles and in need be splash some from the the tank in the bed to get home.  Keep buying new ones guys there are pretty of us guys that are happy with ur old ones.

12v = the million mile motor

Problem is they are tough to find for sale and when you do, most people are pretty proud

We had the 6.5 in the chevrolet and it kept going through PMD's and eventually seized the engine when the oil cooler line came off.

BAILEYFARMS

'07 DODGE mega cab dually.It has bigger injectors allowing it to push over 400 hp. great truck with 60,000 miles. pull all sorts of trailors as fast as you want to go. By the way its for sale if anyone is looking for 5.9 motor.

Cattledog

chiangus said:
DLD said:

How many injectors, egr, turbos, and engines have you been through?   ;D  Really, have you had any problems with your 6.0.  We bought one when they first came out and it was in the shop for 2 months straight, they bought it back through the lemon law and we bought a cummins.

A interesting fact about the 6.0 trucks is that the last couple of years that they made them they were more reliable than the 7.3.  I have an 04 and had a bunch of problems at first.  Once they figured out all of the screwups they refurbed mine and I haven't had a problem since.  But man...I had a downtime of 3 months on my truck and it gets pretty old asking friends and family if you can borrow their truck to pull a trailer when you just bought a band new one.

Bone2011

Yes the 6.0 finally got their act together arond 05 but there was alot of problems with dang near everyone that had them around 03 and 04. But we are using a 08 dually F-350 and pulling a 09  8 by 30 wilson and seems to work pretty well the truck has alot more power than our 06 f-350 dually even with the chip in it, my only problem with the 08 is that we only get about 8mpg

chappy

if you are going to buy a new Ford in a few months wait. I was told at a big Texas Ford Dealership that in Jan 2010 Ford will be coming out with its 2011  superduty with new engine and  foreign injectors and . From what I hear it is from the Range Rover line. anyway I drive an 08 superduty 4x4 and it is not the best on fuel milage 11.6 empty and 9.5 to10 pulling any size trailer under 30ft. my opinion is stick with Chevy or even better GMC.

JbarL

BIGTEX said:
Jeferin said:
BIGTEX said:

anything amercian....i'd do the dodge cummings if i had the opportunity...there all uaw...jbarl