Trailer tires

Help Support Steer Planet:

superduty

I'm in need of 2 tires for my 16' 4 star Gooseneck trailer should I put the new ones on the front axels or rear axles?

Doc

If you've got 2 wearing out before the others than it sounds like either your trailer is not level and you're wearing them wrong or your brakes are grabbing more on one axle than the other. I would put them where the two worn ones are at. JMO

DLD

I've been told by trailer dealers and tire dealers as well to put your best tires on the right (curb) side of the trailer because that side runs along the edge of the road and takes more abuse from potholes and debris, especially if you run on alot of bad roads.  I do agree with Doc, though, if your tires are wearing faster on one axle than another, you probably need to look closely for axle or brake problems, but yeah replace the worn ones.  One other thing to look at is if your trailer is not pulling level - often older trailers will set high in the front because we're pulling them with taller trucks than they were designed for. If that's the case, and you can't adjust the stem at all, or not enough to level it out, then put the best tires on the back, 'cause it's carrying the most weight.

CAB

Without looking @ your tires, I would say put them on the rear axle B/C everytime you turn it peals some rubber off of the front tires so if their is a little less tread on the 2 older tires, it won't peal quite as much rubber off. JMO.

husker1

Though most trailers seem to come with 10 ply tires, we upgrade all of our various trailers to 14 Ply.  Another thing to consider.  We've blown too many 10 plys....

HAB

superduty said:
I had to replace the tire because the tire separted not because of wear.

front axle or rear axle?  Your load might not be balanced, so majority of weight is on one set.

What air pressure do you run??

CAB

husker1 said:
Though most trailers seem to come with 10 ply tires, we upgrade all of our various trailers to 14 Ply.  Another thing to consider.  We've blown too many 10 plys....

Where can you find 14-ply tires. I would like to find a place around here that would get them in for me B/C like you say, you can sure avoid allot of frustration by having the higher rated tires on.