Trailer wiring

Help Support Steer Planet:

nkotb

I am having trouble with the wiring on my pickup.  I have blinkers and clearance lights, as well as electric brakes, but no brake lights.  I only have trailer brakes if I squeeze the brake control module, not by hitting the brake pedal.  I also checked the fuses and they are all ok, as well as hooking up the trailer to a different pickup just to make sure the problem wasn't in the trailer, it's not.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

GoWyo

It could also be the brake controller -- swap in the one from a truck that works and see if that is the problem.  I had one go bad one time and spent 3-4 hours tracing and poking with a circuit tester before trying this and found the problem.

nkotb

I appreciate the website, I do think that may help.  I don't think it's the controller as it is working if I squeeze it.  There is one wire coming out the back that gets hot if I push the brake pedal, and also lights up the trailer controller, but if this wire is connected to the plug in it makes the trailer brakes work a lot harder than they should, even with the controller turned all the way down, or it locks the trailer brakes up completely and won't release them, making it very difficult going down the highway.

GoWyo

One wire coming out of the controller?  Wouldn't that attach to the blue wire that goes to the trailer brakes?  Maybe need to double check the wiring coming into the brake controller and make sure it is connected right.  I would still be inclined to check it with a controller that you know works.

nkotb

Sorry, not one wire coming out the back of the controller, one wire coming out the back of the pickup.

cowman 52

>Blinkers. And brake lights Use the green and yellow wires.  Cant have one with out the other unless it is a newer pickup and fuse for tail lights is different than signal light.  Also some the brake control is fused with the dome light that is on the rear of the cab shining into truck bed.  You should have 3 wires out of controller and most auto supplies have a harness to plug them straight into the truck system.

It will be better in the morning

Latest posts