Traing hair

Help Support Steer Planet:

steershower09

I've searched old posts a bit and looked at the hall of fame post on hair but still havnt found what I'm looking for. I have a calf with plenty of hair, and have it trained pretty good going forward, but it just doesn't seem to want to  make the move to the 45 degree angle. My show is 45 days away and I really want to get his hair right. Right now I go out in the morning, he is hosed down for 25 minutes going forward, then blown out. I brush a KS/ vinager/ hair and mane conditioner, spray on then take him to a I guess a poor mans  cool room, window ac but stays about  lower 60s, it's dark. Then out again at night, 30 minute hose down, then brush while wet for about 10 or 12 minutes each side. Then he gets blown out dry. Then more spray brushed in.  He I'd returned to the room until it's dark.  I've heard less time washing, more time brushing, I've heard more time blowing, I've heard brush dry, I've heard brush wet then leave wet in cool room, I've heard brush then blow.  I'm looking for sound advice on this that has been proven to be succesful. I'm very willing to do the work I just need the know how.   

shortyjock89

Rinse for about 20 minutes, brush and comb dry, and then blow in some Kleen Sheen.  The calf doesn't have to be completely dry during the day, but he should be as dry as you can make him at night.  I use a plastic scrub brush and a rice root at the same time and just go to town. Also use the roto brush on their bodies if you can a couple times a week.  Sometimes the hair is just too thick for that though.  I use the blower as little as possible at home.

steershower09

How many times a day? And I've heard brush dry, how dry can you get them using a brush? And about how long? Don't want to sound like I'm worried about how long it takes, it's just I also have pigs and lambs to work and I plan out the day according to about the time I will finish with each animal.

Dozer45

I can brush my heifer to a light damp in about 30 min. on a warm day with a nice little breeze it really doesnt take long

shortyjock89

steershower09 said:
How many times a day? And I've heard brush dry, how dry can you get them using a brush? And about how long? Don't want to sound like I'm worried about how long it takes, it's just I also have pigs and lambs to work and I plan out the day according to about the time I will finish with each animal.

It takes a good long while if they have any hair.  But you can get them dry with a brush and a comb in front of a fan. I never brush them outside, kinda defeats the purpose of getting them in so early. I rinse at least two times, and a lot of times three times a day.