tranning a show steer to stand

Help Support Steer Planet:

Annieboon

hi all me again, i have in a lot of trouble with getting my show steer to stand still and let me set him up. he just keeps moving around me and walking like a crab no matter what i do he just keeps moving even when i scrcth him with the show stick, or in spots he loves, i have tried tying him up and scrtching him he seems to like that but when i walking him and stop him to set up he just keeps moving. the show is in just under 20 days so i really need som help!!! thanks much appriciated! :)

obie105

Is he tied up during the day at all? I have noticed that when they are tied with their head up for extended periods of time that it does help with working with them. Lead him around and just keep working with him. Also if you can walk him into a set up instead of jacking with the show stick and feet seems to help and is better for showmanship. If you can get him close and standing still that is better than him moving all of the time. Just keep working with him.

Annieboon

Thanks for your reply, he is turned out on the paddock on a bale of hay during the day, he gets tied up after I come to home from school and I work with him till it gets dark, from about 4pm till around 5pm. Thanks for that, another thing I have noticed is that he is scared of other people when they approach him, is it just time and practice or should I act and do something more? Thanks so much for your reply much appreciated!

shortyjock89

This is going to sound incredibly harsh, but you're not working with him nearly enough. I'm not sure where you're from, but it gets dark at about 8 30- 9pm here in the middle of summer.  If he's turned out in a paddock all day, he probably doesn't much look or act like a show calf should at this time in the year. 

It sounds like you only have a few weeks left until your show, so there is a limited number of things you can do.

1. Get him in and feed him in a feed pan before you go to school.  Tie him with his head up and blow/comb him out, and then either put him in a pen inside with a fan, or into a shaded area outside. 

2. Work with him as much as you possibly can with other people around.  Get a friend or two from your 4h or FFA club to come out and just get him used to other people being around.

3. Put a radio on for him to hear at all times.  This will help get him used to different voices and sounds.

4. Whatever you do, do not show him if you think he could be a danger to anyone.  A big, scared steer can hurt a lot of people, and a calf project is not worth ANYBODY being hurt over.

Now, some of the hardest advice I have to give you.  If you really want to do well and show cattle, panicking and scrambling for solutions three weeks from your target show date isn't the way to do it.  I know there are other priorities and obligations in life, but showing a calf is a serious business because of the financial and time investment put into it.  If you feel you can't be with your calf at least 3-4 hours every day, at least 100 days prior to your show, maybe you can look into other, less intensive livestock projects.

We struggle with this as a family, because it is what I do for a living, but we also have to work a Jr project in there for my 13 year old brother.  We make lots of compromises, like I'll get the cattle in and washed/fed every morning if he rinses and walks exercises the heifers in the evening. 

Annieboon

Hi thanks for that, I live in Australia, we don't go to extremes lengths to build cold rooms of sheds for our cattle, we have daylight savings at the moment so the sun sets at around 5 pm which is really annoying, I have brokering like 20-30 animals and have never had this problem before, that's why I thought I would ask. He gets fed morning and night and has been getting fed twice a day since November, this is only a small show so it isn't the big show. I have music playing all the time when I work with him, he doesn't move around and try to escape, he just doesn't stand still long enough for me to set him up, he is starting to get the hang of walking into ring set up. He gets brushed twice a day and blowed at night starting tommorow.
Thank you so much for your advice it is much appreciated, don't be sorry for being hard I understand, do times you have to be hard on someone for them to fully understand.

Thanks once again much appreciated regard Annie

vc

Every evening after grooming him try setting him up before you turn him out, make him set up before you turn him loose, as soon as he cooperates kick him out. This has worked for us, they figure out fighting only makes it last longer.

It seems like each calf has a spot that makes them relax, try and find his, some like the brisket, the chest or the belly, we have had calves go to sleep if your scratching the brisket but get resless if your scratching the belly.Try different stick speeds, pressure, long or short passes. The problem is most people have their way of sticking a calf and do not change their method, we have found it is best to adjust to the each calf, not try and get the calf to adjust to us.

CAB

Some of the "new" sticks are way too sharp pointed and hurt the calf. Look at your's and make sure that it isn't sharp. If it is take a grinder to it and round it off or use an older stick that is not as sharp, but you'll need to address your stick sometime if it is one of the sharper, newer sticks.

Annieboon

hi all, thanks every one for the replys, he is now standing awesomely thanks you all so much, i am coming over to the us the end of next year ( i live in australia) and would really love to visit some farms, if anyone has any ideas of who would give me a tour of their farm and look at some cows, it would be much appriciated! thanks

Latest posts