Truck Opinions

Help Support Steer Planet:

GoWyo

I like them all for different reasons.  Chevy has (or used to have) the best ride, Ford the toughest bodies and Dodge the most reliable engine.  I have heard that if you want to watch the truck fall apart around the engine, drive a Dodge.  I have a 1997 7.3 powerstroke with 116K miles that we use to pull and haul with and it will probably be around for a long time because it is low miles and was paid for several years ago.  It is not the fastest, but it has been reliable.  Thing about diesels is they either run or they don't -- they seldom run poorly.  When mine has quit running a couple of times, it never went through the shop for less than $800.

Davis Shorthorns

JDLCC said:
The only weak links the 6.0L engines have are the EGR system (the cooler plugs and fails) and a lack of cylinder head sealing, which can be cured with head studs. But we have a 96 7.3 and it is a very reliable truck it starts good in the winter which we can have some fairly cold days up in Canada, and if you want more hp and ft. lbs you can always through a chip on it.

I worked at a Ford dealership in 04 and the biggest things on the 6.0's were the injectors, turbos, and oil lines leaking.  I don't think we ever sold one that didn't come back for injectors.  I would steer away from the 6.0's the 7.3's are GREAT motors but right now you are going to pay a premium for them.  Remember that Ford had to sue International/ Navistar because of all of the problems with the 6.0 ltr.  Just something to keep in mind when looking at them.  I agree with every one that said that the Cummins is the best engine that you can buy right now.  The straight 6 design is the best for longevity.  I also agree that the body's on them will fall apart around the truck.  I have a 01 and both doors are rusting, the seats are ripping, the dash is cracking, etc...  but very few mechanical problems.  So far only the clutch slave cylinder needed replaced. 

Shady Lane

First off I'd say buy whatever makes you happy.

I've driven a Variety of Dodges and Fords and have pretty much stuck to my Dodges, I've found them to be very good trucks.

Presently I'm running an '06 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab, Cummins with a 6 spd. I bought it new in February 07 and have about 95,000 miles on it.

It's been a good truck I have put 2 U-joints in it so far and that has been the only out of pocket expense.

Previous to that I had a '99 Dodge 2500, Quad Cab, Cummins 5 spd. It's got about 250,000 miles on it now. Had an injection pump rebuild at around 200,000 miles other than that no engine work.

Both of these trucks have hauled some monstrous loads for a great deal of their life and spend about 50% of their time on Gravel and have stood up very well.

A friend of ours that hauls cattle cross country had a '96 Dodge 3500 with a flat bed on it, the last time I saw that truck it had just over 1,000,000 miles on it and the engine had never been into.

I don't have much bad to say about a Dodge truck.

jason

Thanks for the advice.  AAOK has a match made in heaven with a 2002 7.3, crew, 4x4, and 6 speed that he is thinking about selling.  I looked at 2004 ram with the cummins, love the engine, iffy on the total dodge build quality. 

Went look at some new ford diesels, damn, even with the discounts its like signing away my first born.

I read at one time, Ford also had a deal with cummins, that would have been a match made in heaven.

Davis Shorthorns

Jason said:
Thanks for the advice.  AAOK has a match made in heaven with a 2002 7.3, crew, 4x4, and 6 speed that he is thinking about selling.  I looked at 2004 ram with the cummins, love the engine, iffy on the total dodge build quality. 

Went look at some new ford diesels, damn, even with the discounts its like signing away my first born.

I read at one time, Ford also had a deal with cummins, that would have been a match made in heaven.

That is just a rummer that was started because Ford did buy some stock in Cummins.  They are like any other major stock holder they have some say in what the company does, but not much more than that. 

jason

Davis Shorthorns said:
Jason said:

That is just a rummer that was started because Ford did buy some stock in Cummins.  They are like any other major stock holder they have some say in what the company does, but not much more than that. 

A man can dream can't he.  ;D

showsteerdlux

Davis Shorthorns said:
Jason said:

Ford has owned a large part of Cummins for a good bit of time. However its cheaper for them to sell those motors to Daimler Chrysler and buy the powerstrokes from International. Makes since doesn't it.

herfchic

If you want to spend a little money, there is a place around Chicago that will put a Cummins engine in a Ford body.  The last price I heard was 10K.

Davis Shorthorns

showsteernc said:
Davis Shorthorns said:
Jason said:

Ford has owned a large part of Cummins for a good bit of time. However its cheaper for them to sell those motors to Daimler Chrysler and buy the powerstrokes from International. Makes since doesn't it.

This is what I was told when I worked at Ford a few years ago, but I may be wrong.  That is just what I was told. 

Shady Lane

Davis Shorthorns said:
showsteernc said:
Davis Shorthorns said:
Jason said:

I'm affraid that is actually a misconception and likely one that a lot of Ford salesmen like to propagate.

I sugest you Google that question and check out the answers.

But the long and short of it is, No Ford does not own Cummins and never has. Apparently in 1997 they owned a substantial amount of stock in the company and sold it off for other capital expenditures.

Just as lots of companys invest in plenty of areas in the stock market dependant on cash flow.

This is what I was told when I worked at Ford a few years ago, but I may be wrong.  That is just what I was told.