Help Support Steer Planet:

Which do you prefer?

• True Grit 2010

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • True Grit - The Duke

Votes: 19 55.9%

• Total voters

jason

Saw it in the movie theater and then re-watched the John Wayne version the other night.  There is quite a few differences, new one supposedly follows book better.

Who else has seen them both and where do you stand?

iahogfarmer

Seen the new one in theatres, then watched the old one, definitly like the new version better, very good movie. Gotta love ol rooster cogburn!!

irh

We seen the new movie, thought it was a real good movie.  Have seen bits and pieces of the old one, new movie is way better.  Jeff Bridges played a heck of a part.

Simmgirl03

Did anyone notice that in the new movie Rooster Cogburn has his eye patch on the wrong eye!

linnettejane

hubby liked the old one better...

i really didnt like the new one that much...maybe just me, but i couldnt get past the way they talked...just seemed too proper for that time period, not really how i envisioned cowboys in the wild west talking, maybe they did, but it just seemed weird to me...and the lead guy...the drunk...i couldnt understand half of what he said half the time...his voice was really gruff and gurgly...

it was a thumbs down for me...

Doc

Just saw the new one Saturday nite & rewatched the original on Sunday. I did notice that the eye patch was on  a different eye. They also definitely ended different.I think I like the original better. They followed the same path for the most part, just the original had an extra hour & 10 minutes to include some extra stuff.

COWgirls

After seeing the new one in the theatre, our 10 year old said it was the greatest movie ever!  We all watched the old one last weekend and appreciate the storyline detail that was left out of the new one, but still prefer the new version better. 

kobo_ranch

I'm shocked at all the ones commenting liking the new one!  Wow guess I am getting old.  I barely got my bunch to the theatre to watch the new one.  Husband said they shouldn't remake such a obvious non-remakeable movie. 

There will never be another JOHN WAYNE and no one can play him.  Don't get me wrong now Jeff Bridges... well LOVED him in like Against All Odds and did well in the similar type character roll he played in 'Crazy Heart'.  But in the new TG movie he was just... well a down and out drunk... just didn't like it.  The new little Mattie Ross was cuter than the original but not nearly as good in the part as Kim Darby.  Glen Campbell didn't act very good and guess I did enjoy Matt Damon more in that part... but he lived and poor Glen died!  Plus I didn't like the end of the new movie with the very NON attractive old maid woman (who was supposed to be the old version of the little girl)  Mattie Ross.  That little girl could never had grown up to be a old maid!

You younger steer planeteers really should watch some of the old good movies.  They just don't make em like they used to!

Sorry thumbs down on the new one my vote.

My John Wayne Favs:  THE COWBOYS.... BIG JAKE... (besides the original TRUE GRIT)  <cowboy>

inthebarnagain

Don't leave out Rooster Cogburn and McLintock!  We keep meaning to go see the new one but being diehard John Wayne movie fans don't know if its gonna measure up.  I'm afraid I'll keep comparing it to the old one.

Cowfarmer65

3060 South McNaughton Rd. Douglas, ON. Can.
Glad to see this thread. I've been itchin' to go see the new one............wifey doesn't want to as we have the original. Watched the original over Christmas and had forgotten the talented actors who were in it along with THE DUKE. Robert Duvall, Dennis Hopper and Glen Campbell were young men then. Robert Duvall does an excellent cowboy.............Lonesome Dove was one of his best parts he's ever done.
Guess I'll be seein' the new True Grit on my own.

ALTSIMMY 79

I don't think its even comparable to the old version ! John wayne is an american icon , a true symbol of the west ! Jeff bridges doesn't have a chance to even come close ! Definitely the "DUKE" wins again , always !!!

oakview

I won't even watch the new version.  Hollywood icons tell us they're so much smarter than the rest of us, can't they come up with a new idea for a movie?  We named our two herd bulls Big Jake and Eastwood.  Naturally, all bull calves sired by Big Jake are named after John Wayne movie characters, Eastwood bull calves are named after Clint Eastwood themes.  My twin grandsons would, and often do, watch McLintock five times a day.  We have coming yearling bulls in the pen named Chisum, McLintock, and Brannigan, plus Josey Wales and Magnum Force.  Only problem is, the kids say we have to keep them all!  I finally convinced them the other day that sometimes we have to sell some cattle to pay the bills, they just turned 7.  They said it's okay to sell some of them, but I cannot sell McLintock!

inthebarnagain

How could I forget Rio Bravo with Ricky Nelson and Dean Martin singing.  Love that one so much I have "My rifle, my pony and me" downloaded on my ipod

jason

First of all I think they are both good, but from a pure point of telling the story, I am going to lean toward the jeff bridges true grit.  I am not taking anything away from John Wayne, but he did so many westerns and I always just see him as the same guy.  His persona is bigger than the movie.  Its John Wayne.  It is not a bad thing and I certainly enjoyed it, but jeff bridges could play a really dark, crude drunk and I never saw him as anything more.