Try again or ship heifer?

Help Support Steer Planet:

wph119

I had a first calf heifer calve 1 month premature.  The calf lived for day or so then died.  She is nothing fancy just a replacement that I kept to put an embryo in this spring.  She milks well and there didn't seem to be anything wrong with the calf just small.  Would you guys keep her or ship her?

Thanks

ROMAX

If u were just planning on putting an embryo in her anyways then i would keep her because with the cost of replacements its gonna cost u alot of $ to replace her.jmho

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

If you already have money invested in her, you might want to wait till she pays off her production costs.

Pleasant Grove Farms

pure economics
it costs alot more to replace her than to keep her for a year.
rare if there will ever be another problem like what happened this time.

Hokey

ship her, if your going to spend money on implanting an embryo (quite possibly a really expensive one) why go through all that work and spend money only to have her abort your embryo calf one month early...just my opinion... a young heifer should bring good money at the sale barn and then you can use that money to buy a good 2nd or 3rd calver.

Woodland Farms Show Cattl

Keep her, i had one a few years back that lost her calf a few hours after birth and she prolapsed. she was fine after all that so i shipped her, my neighbor ended up with her from the yards and shes one of his best cows now. has healthy calves every year and shes 6 now.