turning calves into show winners?

Help Support Steer Planet:

katie_k

im hearing lots of talk about how i need to rinse my calves daily and keep them in a barn with fans on them. why? mine are kept in a small pasture with a small 3 sided shelter.  is this ok? also how early is too early to start bathing?  what else can i be doing to get ahead and get them looking good.  ps: i dont have a barn or shed to keep them in, i live in town and a man who i buy from lets me keep them at his place. i dont own a blower. just to let you know

Earthmover

Do to your circumstances all you can do is try and keep them clean and comfortable. With shorties its a tough job. Do what you can and enjoy your project. Most of the advice givers on here would surprise you if you went to their barns. Theres an old saying Do as I say, Not what I do. So remember that when recieving advice and do what fits you best. And by the way give that guy a hug every now and then for letting you keep your project at his place.

Bradenh

yeah make the most with what you have and it may not be as good as somebody whith a better set up. but its about you knowing that you did all you can do to make that calf good. and not feeling sorry for your self. . just make the most of what u have and thats what turns calves into winners in your heart

katie_k

thanks so much. and yes he is a very special person for letting me do this. ill do my best, but im still looking for more advice!

herfluvr

A clean, well fed broke calf will always make a good impression.  Can you help keep the shed clean?  Bathe as much as you can as weather permits.  Good clean hair=elbow grease.  No shortcuts there.  The more you work with them the better.  You will be able to monitor foot health if it is muddy as well as keep an eye on feed intake.  See if he will allow you to bump the grain while you have them tied up to work them.  I think you posted about how they looked.  I agree they need wormed and fed up a bit.  2% of the weight is what you are after in grain and forage.  Good Luck!

oakie

If it is too cold out and you wash them without getting them dry they can come down with pnemonia, something to think about. I would wait until it gets warmer out and then start. Once you have some practice under your belt then you can start washing them earlier in the year.  You can always blow and comb them out. If you have a nice sunny day I would wash them and blow them out for at least an hour to be sure there isn't a wet spot on them.

evermoor

First off I am no expert, but can relate to your circumstances.  Pending when your show is I would let the calves be calves and keep them growing.  Find a good feed store or someone who has a good product.  Your calves seem to already be halter broke so it wouldn't hurt to trim them with the clippers.  This is mainly for your benefit and a little bit theirs.  I would clip faces, tail, and blending.  The more practice you and your calves have the easier it will be.  I found a couple old blue blowers at a auction for 5 and 10 bucks, works fine. I actually bought a new hose ( the old one was more duct tape than hose) for twice the cost of both blowers.  Early next spring, I would pen or tie them in until dusk, basically keep them in the dark , cooler area.  Rinsing and blowing promotes hair growth and overall appearance - Keeping them cool and comfortable helps them gain and do better.  Practice leading and setting them up a lot.  Expose them to various things like loud music, children strollers, clipping chutes will help them stay calm at the fair.

OH Breeder

Install a ring on the post of the shed. Tie your calf and buy a rice root brush. Brush til there are no bristles left in it. You will get more out of a rice root and brushing than anything else.

DLD

OH Breeder said:
Install a ring on the post of the shed. Tie your calf and buy a rice root brush. Brush til there are no bristles left in it. You will get more out of a rice root and brushing than anything else.

Absolutely right.

shortyjock89

If there is any way you can get a blower and a fan, and you work your tail off with the brush, and I mean brush like OH Breeder said...until you wear that thing out, you will be just fine.  Someone said that some folks do a better job of telling you what to than actually doing it themselves, but I have honestly put the time in and you can too and to be honest, you'll be a lot happier that you did when fair time comes around and you have a super gentle, well cared-for calf.  Having the most hair or the best calf at the show isn't quite as important your first year as having the most hair and the best calf that you COULD.  Depending on how young you are, you will learn how to do this whole showing thing quite well by the time you're done if you put in the time the right way.  Get the Kirk Stierwalt videos if you can afford them at all. Watch them once a week until you have them memorized. Make a list of what you should do every day, laminate it, and check each thing off with a dry erase marker every day.  Most of all, do your best, and have fun......oh and learn a thing or two while you do it haha. (thumbsup)