Twin Bull Calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

linnettejane

i had my first set of twins ever this year, both bull calves, out of a heifer!  one weighed 90lbs, the other 78lbs.  being a heifer, it was crazy, but she accepted both of them!!  we had to bottle both of them twice a day till her milk came in, but eventually they got to just taking one bottle  a day, and finally they both got to the point they didnt even want a bottle!  the first month was a lot of work, but they are now out on the pasture with the rest of the cows and im not even supplementiing the heifer (i was feeding her grain twice a day for the first month though, the ration was half corn gulletin/soy pellets 1/2 honor show chow fitters edge, lol  she did great on it, awesome milk for a heifer)  they learned real quick to eat grain and hay, and i put the creep feeder out when i turned them out, they are in it everyday, couple times a day

i now understand why the old timers or anybody in general groans when they have multiple births, alot of work!  i never really thought of pulling one of them, she was so protective and mothering to both of them, i guess i felt like if she thought she could raise them both, then have at it! 

Charo

On 120 cows to date we have 7 twins all alive. 2 are males twins, 3 are females twins, 1 couple is mixed and the last one is 1 male and the other is a bit of both! On 3 couples the second calf was breech. Our bigger year was 9 couples.

WKYIronMike

Well, she has done it again. Two more twin bull calves and again a black baldy and a solid black in back to back years. Again one backwards and one not. About the only difference is that they are sired by a different bull and I had her in the calving lot this go around. Hopefully will get some pics of them soon.

RidinHeifer

Sounds like you oughtta just plan on twins again next year and for however long you keep her!  One calf is for wusses LOL

WKYIronMike

Here are some quick snapshots. Both are doing well, I've been helping them realize they need to reach a bit lower to nurse all 4 quarters and quit licking the side walls.

Attachments

• 65's Twins By Magic resized_opt.jpg
    65's Twins By Magic resized_opt.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 65's Twins By Magic p2 resized_opt.jpg
    65's Twins By Magic p2 resized_opt.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 65's Twins By Magic p3 resized_opt.jpg
    65's Twins By Magic p3 resized_opt.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 225
  • 65's Twins By Magic p4 resized_opt.jpg
    65's Twins By Magic p4 resized_opt.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 187

Pleasant Grove Farms

they are beautiful!!!

last year we had 10 sets of twins in the spring calving herd...
while most were alive at birth with all sorts of positions at calving,
prob about half were obviously preemie and struggled to live.

your calves look full term and very healthy!!

WKYIronMike

Calves have got the nursing figured out, now if I can get her to pass all of her afterbirth, they should be good to go. I sure was glad I got her out of the open pasture and in the calving lot this time or else it would have been a wild situation like before. I told my dad she was gonna have twins again she was as big as two great big beach balls in the middle, sure enough I was right. Mr Solid always likes to come backward and he did again blocking the exit. They got switched around before the vet got there though and she had the baldy and then he pulled Mr Solid backwards sice he was there. So 4 bull calves in 2 years from the same cow not to shabby I guess, lol. I love watching them and helping them some but I still perfer just 1 calf per 1 cow. Twins usually is a bad occurence here. I'll probably try a 3rd different sire with her this next time, lol. 

WKYIronMike

Named the twins Walker & Trevett from the TV show Walker, Texas Ranger lol. Don't know if I spelled Trevett right but anyhow they got names and they are getting to know them, especially the black one. I've been giving him an extra bottle of milk per day, at least most days just to help the cow out a bit and he really has taken to me. I'll just holler his name and he'll come see me. Walker though is strictly mama's calf, he'll come around perking his ears when called and just wondering why his brother is having anything to do with me. I feel sorry for him a bit because the black one is really taking off and growing like a weed with getting extra, but they both are doing well. The black one really carries the Triple C Invasion look like his sire does and the baldy really looks like his dam. Already thinking what her twins will look like next year, oh me.

RidinHeifer

If you think twins are bad, we had a set of triplets at work a couple weeks ago. (i work at the dairy at kstate).  2 bulls and a heifer.  They all 3 could've fit in a feed sack.  Less than 50# each.  Surprisingly they were some of the best eating babies, up and ready for it...would have to say they were some of the easiest calves to feed and deal with since I started. 

WKYIronMike

I was looking at the twins in the pasture and got a surprise, the baldy has got horns that just appeared here lately. Would be nice if they were scurs but they look like horns to me. He's the unfriendly one so I haven't been able to feel of them with him in the pasture. The black twin bull has a smooth head and polled. Really show's how two eggs can be fertilized differently. Also have found one of my purebred simmental calves with what appears to be horns. My Triple C Invasion x Triple C Miss Wisconsin son might not be staying as long as I planned, anyhow I'll have to get the dehorner out again I guess. Just can't get it right, my Dream On son was Homozygous Polled but Heterozygous Black and now the Invasion son is Heterozygous Polled but Homozygous Black. Calves are nice good calves and I haven't had any calving problems but I didn't miss those horns. Here's to hoping the poll gene is more aggresive than the horn, lol.