Twin Update

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

These were the twins that survived from my Triplet Birth earlier in the year. They are out of Little Cedar QUantum Gal and Double Vision. They are hard to tell apart. Any feedback would be appreciated. They had to be bottle fed a bit as the reciep that took care of them also took care of another orphan calf. They were not very cooperative and twin 69 would not stand still.

thanks in advance,

Attachments

• Twins 69 and 70.jpg
    Twins 69 and 70.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 168
  • Twin 70 profile.jpg
    Twin 70 profile.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Twin 70 Rear2.jpg
    Twin 70 Rear2.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Twin 70 Good Rear.jpg
    Twin 70 Good Rear.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 176

knabe

wow oh breeder, i think they look great.  i like how there legs hang straight all the way down from a wide top.  i am a sucker for contrasy colors too.  nice there's something under the skin.  nice balance.  are they polled?

OH Breeder

knabe said:
wow oh breeder, i think they look great.  i like how there legs hang straight all the way down from a wide top.  i am a sucker for contrasy colors too.  nice there's something under the skin.  nice balance.  are they polled?

Thanks Knabe. I really appreciate and respect your feedback. They are polled. They so far have been easy feeding gals and easy to work with. Now I just have to TH and PH test.

kfacres said:
how good was the 3rd one that died???  nice pair...  show them that way... Hard to tell apart- and quality

The third one looked just like them. She was still born. She was also the first one born. The other two came shortly after unassisted. Thanks again for feedback.I just clipped them for the first time today.

knabe

the one in front looks deeper with more volume, but the flighty one has a better topline through her withers and to pins and is more showy with less depth, maybe more bone, yeah, i know, i can't really see the chestfloor.

SKF

They look GREAT!!! Ho old are they?

justintime

Great set of heifers, especially when you consider they were triplets! Not many people ever have twins that look this good let alone having triplets.( even if one was still born) Fortunately, all three were heifers as well, so there should be no issues with infertility. These heifers look excellent!

Jacob B

The heifers look to be doing real well.  What are your plans for them?? My partner of the Rose Tip 6175  cow is looking for a nice heifer calf for his daughter for Jr. Nationals.

OH Breeder

Answer few questions-
They were born March.
I had not planned to sell them as they will make great replacements. But I wouldn't rule out selling one. The kids keep telling ME we can't keep everything. :-\
There mother did well and one of the SP members owns her. Thanks JIT I am pretty pleased with them considering they had a tough start. They were only 50#'s a peice at birth. They have grown like weeds. The genetic potential they have is super.
Knabe you are correct the one is tick thicker made than her sister. If you stand them side by side you will see a little more top on one than the other.  They are not clubby heifers in anyway but will make super cows.

kobo_ranch

Absolutely beautiful girls!!  Out of triplets! Wow how rare that is--we had twins this year and last, but one bull and heifer, so you know about the heifer on those . . . haven't tested them though.
Good luck with yours! <cowboy>

OH Breeder

kobo_ranch said:
Absolutely beautiful girls!!  Out of triplets! Wow how rare that is--we had twins this year and last, but one bull and heifer, so you know about the heifer on those . . . haven't tested them though.
Good luck with yours! <cowboy>

It also was a single embryo transfer. I had one left and had them stick it in. So the embryo split and ta da. I am going to get them tested here pretty soon. I hadn't planned on selling them and their full sister came up clean last year. But I know that doesn't mean anything. Thanks for compliments.

cracehole

not to rain on the parade but as far as i know twins male and female are born infertile. I show dairy on the side and the only timee I can show a heifer is when it was a twin because then it's basically a bull to the dairy farm. I was told that the chance of them being fertile was 1 in 10,000 but that may be distroded odds.      Maybe it's diffrent from breed to breed but as far as I know all the dairy breeds are effected.

shortyjock89

M&M Farms said:
not to rain on the parade but as far as i know twins male and female are born infertile. I show dairy on the side and the only timee I can show a heifer is when it was a twin because then it's basically a bull to the dairy farm. I was told that the chance of them being fertile was 1 in 10,000 but that may be distroded odds.       Maybe it's diffrent from breed to breed but as far as I know all the dairy breeds are effected.

Nah. Heifers that are twins to heifers are fertile. Heifers that are twins to bulls are rarely fertile. Bulls that are twins are always fertile (unless something else weird is going on).  It's a uterine testosterone issue when heifers are twins to bulls. 

cracehole

I purchase twin heifers from a dairy farm for fating up but I have them all tested for fertility and they phsyically dont have a uterus and they dont get the size of most holsteins and brown swiss heifers