Twins from different bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

Warrior10

We had a roan shorthorn commercial cow that had twins today, she was pasture exposed to a PB Angus bull and a shorthorn bull. Well...one of the calves is black (Meaning the Angus bull) and one is red roan (shorthorn bull)? This happen often?

Freerider

I'm not a geneticist by no means so i could be wrong,  but I'm thinking 2 different sacs, meaning they're not identical twins. Its like this black maine cow i have that will throw a black heatwave one year, then a red heatwave the next year.

kfacres

I was told once, that dogs and cats are the only animals which can deliver twins from different sires. 

Does your PB Angus bull- carry the red gene?

On 2nd thought- are you sure they are both hers?

ruhtram

Sounds interesting..Seem hard to believe but am interested in what others have to say

R1Livestock

outspoken said:
I was told once, that dogs and cats are the only animals which can deliver twins from different sires. 

And people.  Google it.

Woody

Back in the day I worked at a small 100 head dairy. My boss would breed a Holstein cow to a Holstein bull, if she had a long heat he then bred her to a jersey bull to see which one she caught to. I remember at least 3 sets of twins in the 4 years that I worked there that were one of each. If you have ever worked aroun dairy cattle there is no question about a half blood jersey verses a Holstein. Plausible.

Limiman12

outspoken said:

I think you were told wrong.

Humans can,  I used to have mixed litters of bunnies when I was a kid,    I see now reason why it could not happen in a cow. ESP if one or both were before the egg dropped, since cows typically stand before the egg is dropped I see it as very plausible. 

At fertilization, there is a small micro current release, at least in humans that acts to kill other nearby sperm, this acts to prevent two sperm from entering the egg.    In most cases maternal twins each egg comes from each of the two ovaries, therefore I would assume the eggs would be far enough up in the horn of the cows uterus that the micro current from one egg being fertilized would not effect the sperm and egg in the other......

Just reasoning from one species to another which is not always accurate but serves as a solid enough basis to justify animal experiments for human products.   

Warrior10

I can not honestly say that I know the PB Angus is NOT a red gene carrier, but out of 3 years of calf crop we have never had a red calf out of him. However I do know that they are her calves as she was in a lot by herself due to her being close to calving.

hamburgman

completely possible, happens in swine when you run two different boars (or used too is pry a better way to put it).  No logical reason it can't happen in cattle.

vc

I think all animals that have litters can have offspring from more than one sire, I though you could buy mixed batches of semen for hogs (may have just been singles in a mixed package). I think it is very uncommon in cattle because they tend to have a single calf, I think it could happen just have to have all the right conditions and timing to have it happen, 2 eggs, 2 bulls, and who knows what else.

ai er

Fifteen or so years age, (guessing), I had a half blood maine cow.  AI'd her, and turned her out with a black and white Simmental bull. So about three weeks later, I see him tailing her in the evening.  I get her in the barn and AI her the next morning to Bad Medicine (solid black 3/4 Maine). Next spring she had heifer twins, one black and white baldy, the other solid black.  I always wondered, but never looked into what they were. 

RidinHeifer

It can happen...it would be the same as putting 2 diff straws of semen at one time...both bulls covered her while she was viable and they each got their fair share!  Pics?

Warrior10

RidinHeifer said:
It can happen...it would be the same as putting 2 diff straws of semen at one time...both bulls covered her while she was viable and they each got their fair share!  Pics?
If I remember next time I am around them I will get a few.

shorthornmn

This is most definitely possibility. With some college experience at uw-madison in cattle reproduction. What happens is 2 eggs are released from the ovary and during estrus both bulls mounted the cow and deposited semen each fertilizing an egg. Both eggs implanted and were carried to term. These are not identical twins. I believe by definition you could call them paternal twins. If your correct in themm being fertilized by each bull, however they would only be half sibs. This isn't a common occurrence but it does happen.

Limiman12

Limiman12 said:
outspoken said:

I think you were told wrong.

Humans can,   I used to have mixed litters of bunnies when I was a kid,    I see now reason why it could not happen in a cow. ESP if one or both were before the egg dropped, since cows typically stand before the egg is dropped I see it as very plausible.   

At fertilization, there is a small micro current release, at least in humans that acts to kill other nearby sperm, this acts to prevent two sperm from entering the egg.    In most cases maternal twins each egg comes from each of the two ovaries, therefore I would assume the eggs would be far enough up in the horn of the cows uterus that the micro current from one egg being fertilized would not effect the sperm and egg in the other......

Just reasoning from one species to another which is not always accurate but serves as a solid enough basis to justify animal experiments for human products.     

I did mispeak, yes PATERNAL or frateral twins not maternal.  half siblings born at the sme time....