Two Ring Shows

Help Support Steer Planet:

steerkid21

Co-Chairing a Show this coming Spring.  We are thinking about running a two ring show with two different judges on one day.  We were thinking start with Angus Heifers in Ring A at maybe 9am and then start Angus Heifers in Ring B at 9:30am.  The exhibitors then would go from one ring to the next. 

Just a few questions with this type of show....
-How do you handle entry fees? Pay double entry (one for each ring)? Or just maybe raise entry fees 10 or 15 dollars?
-How do you determine Overall Grand Champion? Choose one for each ring or select a top few from each ring and have a "Overall" Champion?

Thanks for all the help! Also, if you have any other advice with this type of show, please share so I can make our show the best we can!

cowman 52

Ring a entry 2x ring b entry.  Champion in a champion in b .  Showmanship in one.  Limit entries in class to 10 or so to keep schedule 1/2 way on track. 2 to 5 head make a breed, and go from there.

JSchroeder

Every show seems to be just a bit different but here’s how it’s typically done…

We were thinking start with Angus Heifers in Ring A at maybe 9am and then start Angus Heifers in Ring B at 9:30am.

No.  Just start Ring B as soon as Ring A is done.  Don’t even pretend to have a set schedule for Ring B other than “as soon as the breed is done in Ring A”.  Don’t start the first class of a breed in B until that entire breed is done in A.

If a kid is set to show in both rings at the same time because of multiple breeds, hold up Ring B to let him or her show their calf set for Ring A.

How do you handle entry fees? Pay double entry (one for each ring)?  Or just maybe raise entry fees 10 or 15 dollars?

Either keep the entry fee for both rings the same or double Ring A as mentioned above.  Most shows provide the option to enter just Ring A or both rings.

Most shows pick either Ring A or Ring B to award prizes in, not both.

How do you determine Overall Grand Champion? Choose one for each ring or select a top few from each ring and have a "Overall" Champion?

Unless it’s a really big show, overall is typically only done in Ring A.  Sometimes the judge from Ring B will come back and work with the Ring A judge for overall.  It’s not uncommon for a calf that didn’t win his breed in Ring B to be a higher placing in the overall drive because it’s based on Ring A.

If you want to encourage entries in Ring B, say up front you are doing the overall drive in Ring B instead of Ring A.

frostback

I have always had prizes awarded from both rings. If I pay the entry fee I want a shot at winning something back from both. I have seen widely different placing's in rings and just picking one ring to pay out dose not seem a good option.
In the magazines I see a overall for both rings all the times and not sure why you would limit it to only one ring. Let the judge give a final lineup.

JSchroeder

The champion photos in the magazines are bit misleading, you see the pics in the magazine for both rings because those are the types of shows that make the magazines.

I'd be surprised if more than 20% of the two ring shows in Texas (where either 2 or 4 rings is the norm) award overall in both rings.  Without much thought, I can think of eight jackpots I've been to this year and only the Belt Buckle Bonanza, the largest summer show, awarded overall in both.

Of course, what is normal is different everywhere.

FriedgesCharolais

I ran a prospect show when i was in college at UW-River Falls and we had a two ring show. As posted above we had a set price for ring A and ring B if you wanted one or the other and if you wanted both rings the price was double. Example ring A is $35 Ring B $35 and both $70. You can set a schedule I know we did saying ring A would start at 9 and B at 9:30 but you are probably going to deviate from that depending on class size and how quick the judge is in that ring. We also had supreme in both rings and I personally think that that is the way to go because every judge has a different opionion. We had done the 2 ring show for a couple years prior and most of the cattle in the top 5 are the same but they were very rarely in the same order. My personal opinion is that if you are going to have a two ring show you have to have 2 supreme drives especially if they are paying to be in the second ring. This is just my 2 cents from experience

Medium Rare

Jeff_Schroeder said:
The champion photos in the magazines are bit misleading, you see the pics in the magazine for both rings because those are the types of shows that make the magazines.

I'd be surprised if more than 20% of the two ring shows in Texas (where either 2 or 4 rings is the norm) award overall in both rings.  Without much thought, I can think of eight jackpots I've been to this year and only the Belt Buckle Bonanza, the largest summer show, awarded overall in both.

Of course, what is normal is different everywhere.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around why anyone would really want to show in Ring B if there is no championship drive.  I assume they still award Grand and Reserve in breed? 

JSchroeder

I'm trying to wrap my mind around why anyone would really want to show in Ring B if there is no championship drive.

Mainly points but a bunch of the kids that go into Ring B aren’t even running points.  A second ring gives the calf another run through the ring and gives the family showing the calf the opinion of another judge. 

It doesn’t hurt entries, grand drive really only matters for half a dozen of the 100-300 steers at a jackpot any way. 

I assume they still award Grand and Reserve in breed?

Yes, breed champ and reserve in both rings.  Just not an overall drive.

edit:For the OP, that's this area.  What is expected at a show varies wildly by region.

Medium Rare

Jeff_Schroeder said:
I'm trying to wrap my mind around why anyone would really want to show in Ring B if there is no championship drive.

Mainly points but a bunch of the kids that go into Ring B aren’t even running points.  A second ring gives the calf another run through the ring and gives the family showing the calf the opinion of another judge. 

It doesn’t hurt entries, grand drive really only matters for half a dozen of the 100-300 steers at a jackpot any way. 

I assume they still award Grand and Reserve in breed?

Yes, breed champ and reserve in both rings.  Just not an overall drive.

edit:For the OP, that's this area.  What is expected at a show varies wildly by region.

Ahh... Chasing circuit points hadn't crossed my mind.  That makes much more sense.