two tone club calf bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

clete

I recently bought a red angus.heifer bred to the club calf bull 2 tone. does anyone know of.any of his calfs on the ground yet?

Warrior10

clete said:
I recently bought a red angus.heifer bred to the club calf bull 2 tone. does anyone know of.any of his calfs on the ground yet?
A heifer bred to him? If thats the case I'd be ready for a possible train wreck because he is FAR from a heifer bull.

clete

she is a big bodied heifer. I figured it was going to be hard. the lady that bred her is an experienced breeder but made a huge mistake.

Tallcool1

Clete

I am by no means an expert on Two Tone, so my comment here is a little more along the lines of "in general".

Before you get your heifer retrofitted with a zipper, just hear me out.

Yes, genetics are a PART of calving ease.  However, genetics are not the ONLY factor.  There are a few things that you can do to help your heifer out.  First and foremost, when is she due?  If she is due to calve in March or April, get her on a diet and make sure she is not "hog fat".  In my opinion, cow condition is a huge factor in birth weight.  Now I am not saying to starve her to death.  I am saying just feed her what she NEEDS, and no more.

Do not let her go over.  It sounds like the lady you got her from KNOWS when she was bred, so do the math, and go get your baby when it is time. 

Don't let everyone scare you into a panic. 

twc77

Tallcool1 said:
Clete

I am by no means an expert on Two Tone, so my comment here is a little more along the lines of "in general".

Before you get your heifer retrofitted with a zipper, just hear me out.

Yes, genetics are a PART of calving ease.  However, genetics are not the ONLY factor.  There are a few things that you can do to help your heifer out.  First and foremost, when is she due?  If she is due to calve in March or April, get her on a diet and make sure she is not "hog fat".  In my opinion, cow condition is a huge factor in birth weight.  Now I am not saying to starve her to death.  I am saying just feed her what she NEEDS, and no more.

Do not let her go over.  It sounds like the lady you got her from KNOWS when she was bred, so do the math, and go get your baby when it is time. 

Don't let everyone scare you into a panic.   

(clapping) (thumbsup) (clapping)
Could not agree more. jmho i think that has as much to do with calving as genetics,not in all cases but more often than not.

renegadelivestock

the cow DOES contribute half of the genetic material,this includes the genetic component of birthweight, so her angus side should help out some with calf size

hilbert

talk to your vet. you can induce her up to 14days ahead of her calving date. (be sure of your calving date) we usually do it about 7 days proir. takes about 26-to 36 hours for them to calf

Bulldaddy

I would not use any bull that has Heat wave in the pedigree on first calf heifers and Two Tone's sire, Walks Alone is sired by Heatwave.

bluffcountrycattle

Should you be cautious?  Yes!  Should you panic?  Maybe not...  Like they mentioned above, the maternal genetics of the heifer will hopefully keep the birth weight in check.  I believe Two Tone only had an 80lb birthweight, so maybe you'll get along just fine.  When I saw him at stud, he didn't appear to be big headed or course shouldered which would affect calving.  When is she due?  We'll be waiting for a calving report and assessment of the resulting baby!  Good luck!

sizzler14

I bought a Strictly business x draft pick cow (SB had a good size bw) and she was bred to walks alone last year. When I went to look at the cow before I bought her, it was 2 weeks before she was due, it was Feb and there wasn even a round bale in the pen for them. The cow had some lice on her and I could tell the cows werent getting as much hay as mine were back home. I got her real cheap and took her home. She calved 4 days early and the calf was only 64 pounds. A walks alone x strictly business= big on big, yet the calf came small because the cow was under fed. Now I am not saying to starve your heifer, But I would get her in a lot by herself and put her on a diet that you can oversee without other cows to limit the chances of it working and try to take a few pounds off of her if it permits. If it doesnt and she is already thin, try to maintain her weight and really really watch it a month before calving,. jmo and experience. good luck

hilbert

hilbert said:
talk to your vet. you can induce her up to 14days ahead of her calving date. (be sure of your calving date) we usually do it about 7 days proir. takes about 26-to 36 hours for them to calf.    if you have your vet reach in the heifer he should be able to give you general sizing of her plevis. If the  calf is turned right he may also be able to grab a leg and make some derterminations by that! good luck! by the way we"ve never a huge one out of walks-alone.