Tycoon Heifer out of Alias POLL ADDED: WHAT TO FLUSH THIS ALIAS TO?

Help Support Steer Planet:

What should we flush this Alias Cow to?

• Total voters

chambero

Depends on what you want the calf to be - a slick shear steer for Texas, a black haired steer, or more female oriented.  Alias's can be too tight wound and have movement trouble.  Momma doesn't look like she is, but she could easily pass that on.  So I'd keep that in mind.

If you are aiming slick - your heifer is only 1/4 blood Charolais and little bit of a bunch of other stuff.  I'd go back purebred Charolais.  Since she already has Hoodoo blood in her from Alias, I'd either use one of Schroeder's bulls, Chunky Monkey, or maybe even Troubador. 

If you want black haired calves, a bunch of ways to go.  Honestly, I'd call Kris Black and see what he does with cows bred like this. 

WFCC

if she is moderate and needs structure, MILKMAN. i heard he will put structure back in cattle?

cotullaguy

WFCC said:
if she is moderate and needs structure, MILKMAN. i heard he will put structure back in cattle?

we have never used Milkman but he is one to consider as she would throw charolais colored calves..she is not big but about a 5 frame or so.  she needs to be mated to a bull that will power up the calf...she adds depth, style, smoothness....i think Monopoly and her will both have too much angus....so, it comes down to Heatwave, Milkman, Walks Alone or some other bull that adds power...I am afraid a charolais will not have enough style. it might due to her...if I did use a charolais, it would be Yellow Jacket. 

afhm

What about the calving on Milkman, I haven't heard to many good things about  it.  What have any of y'all experienced?

ploughshare

While unproven, I might consider Hooter for Charolais colored calves if that is what you want.  Semen is limited though.

cotullaguy

Glenstory said:
While unproven, I might consider Hooter for Charolais colored calves if that is what you want.  Semen is limited though.
What is hooter?

nck21

afhm said:
What about the calving on Milkman, I haven't heard to many good things about  it.  What have any of y'all experienced?
We had one Milkman this year and got along fine. Talked to a guy who didn't have any trouble the first year using him but had some really big ones the next year.

cotullaguy

nck21 said:
afhm said:
We had one Milkman this year and got along fine. Talked to a guy who didn't have any trouble the first year using him but had some really big ones the next year.

Milkman scares me now as it is hard to sell dead calves not to mention the recips.  It is a shame as his calves look really good and probably would work on this cow. 

BIGTEX

cotullaguy said:
nck21 said:
afhm said:

Milkman scares me now as it is hard to sell dead calves not to mention the recips.  It is a shame as his calves look really good and probably would work on this cow. 

Are you trying to get some more free semen?

cotullaguy

BIGTEX said:
cotullaguy said:
nck21 said:
afhm said:

Are you trying to get some more free semen?

shhhhhhhhhhh (lol)

WFCC

if you manage cows and put them in good sized recips, you should be ok.

cotullaguy

I think Monopoly might work but am pretty sure Heat Wave would work and Milkman also if the calves were not too big.  I would prefer Milkman probably to get Charolais colors.  Will the calves be cow killers though is the question.

WFCC

if a guy can use heat wave, they can use milk man.  Anytime you are putting big stout powerful embryo's in you should consider putting them in cows that are 4-7 years old depending on size, and that are good framed with good structure.

cotullaguy

what would Heat Seeker do?

the Alias cow is 1/8 shorthorn herself....would you get smokies or reds?  enough bone?

BIGTEX

cotullaguy said:
what would Heat Seeker do?

the Alias cow is 1/8 shorthorn herself....would you get smokies or reds?  enough bone?

You don't know?

Aren't you going to have the best set of  donors in the country in 30 days?