tying calves?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dozer45

This will be the first year I have access to a barn that I can fan and mist my calves. When you guys bring them into the barn do you leave them loose? tie like they are at tie outs? or head up?

I plan to start them on building endurance standing with their heads up but one is a pair so I don't plan to do it for to long

okiegirl

We tie up for at least 2 hours in the morning.  When we are getting closer to a big show we'll tie up for longer periods so they get used to standing longer.  If I know that they show in the afternoon, I will let them lay down in the morning and tie up afternoons.  The rest of the time they are loose in pens in the cooler.

obie105

We always tie up especially with fans. In the past our calves like to stand with their heads in the fans which will not do good things to hair. You will develop a routine that works best for you.

RankeCattleCo

Being your calves in, tie up, blow out, rinse, comb, blow partially out.  Tie down, feed in feed pans, pull pans when done eating. Make them eat separately so they are used to it at the show.  Around noon, rinse again, tie up for an hour, and let fans do drying. Tie down once dry.  Rinse again and blow out and use hair product right before turning out at night.  Turn them out and feed however you want, bunks or pans.  This is what has worked for us.  Don't let them roam, the fans will blow their hair every single way except forward.

Dozer45

Thanks guys, the stall I am going to use isnt really big enough for roaming so I was thinking of keeping them tied