Ultimate SHOW cattle trailer

Help Support Steer Planet:

I-69cc

Wanting some ideas and opinions on what everyone thinks would be the perfect show trailer. Ive getting bids on building 1, and my head is starting to hurt! Only going to be hauling show cattle so Im leaning towards a 8x16or18x6tall gooseneck. So any experiances will help tack room or not, side ramp is a must, split rear door or single? Thanks

ferkj

Go with 20 ft, extra length well worth little difference in price.  Side ramp 4 ft wide, 2 divider gates adjustable /removable, tie rails inside and outside. 6 interior lights, 8 exterior lights ( 3 on each side, 2 in rear), brackets, carrier, rack (whatever you want to call it) to haul chutes outside of trailer in stead of dragging them in and out.  bracket mounted to inside of roff for hanging fans at show(at least 2).  That should give you a starting point.  your only limited by your imagination and budget.  Most manufactuers will do what ever you want.

NHR

Our new show trailer will be here next week. We ordered a Platinum Coach Sport Combo GN, 24' L x 7' w x 7' T

It has a 4' changing/sleeping room with air/heat, 5' tack area with side loading ramp, 15' area for cattle. We have a slider on the gate that divides the tack from the cattle and a slider on the rear gate. We also have tie down rails on inside and outside and plenty of lighting.

rtmcc

We just got a new 4-Star this spring and love it! Just wish we could have done it sooner. Ours is 8 x 24. We have a four foot dressing room in front which sure makes it nice haveing dry lugage and feed when you get to the show. We have the side ramp. We also got the center gate on rails so we can set it were ever we want depending on how much tack and cattle we have and if we are taking pigs along to the show with us. Love this feature. We also have roof vents and loading lights by the side ramp and back door. Love the 8' wide for packing and so bigger cattle can get crosswise. We went with 4-Star bassed on quality of the trailer and more so the dealer we wanted to business with us.
this is the last one I'm buying so I wanted to make it right!

Ron

rtmcc

Here's ours and the show pig pens we built to put in the front bay when we need them.

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1336706225394.jpg
    ResizedImage_1336706225394.jpg
    802.1 KB · Views: 1,522
  • ResizedImage_1336706325821.jpg
    ResizedImage_1336706325821.jpg
    743.2 KB · Views: 567

I-69cc

Thanks for all the feedback keep it comin! Thats a good lookin trailer. Also has anyone have or have an opinion on alum-line Ive been talkin with a dealer but not local to actually see 1
Thanks again

C

cornish

I can't think of a reason to make the "ultimate" show trailor any less than 7.5' wide-- prefer 8'.  If you can't stack them in there sideways- even the big cows-- then you're not wide enough. 

I guess though these dumpy short bodied show steers could be stacked in a 6' though.

rtmcc

I loaded a bull we sold on an Alum-Line. I couldn't believe the difference between that and our 4-Star. The center gate and back door felt like yor were swinging a screen door compared to a vault door at Ft. Knox on our 4-Star. i see a lot of Amum-Lines around our area as they are built 50 miles south of here in Cresco IA. But you sure get what you pay for when it comes to quality.

Ron
<cowboy>

lightnin4

rtmcc said:
I loaded a bull we sold on an Alum-Line. I couldn't believe the difference between that and our 4-Star. The center gate and back door felt like yor were swinging a screen door compared to a vault door at Ft. Knox on our 4-Star. i see a lot of Amum-Lines around our area as they are built 50 miles south of here in Cresco IA. But you sure get what you pay for when it comes to quality.

Ron
<cowboy>

I've been really happy with the quality of our 4star.  It's just a 24 ft. stock trailer and we use it to haul everything---show calves, bulls, cows, calves, horses (if we need to haul more than 3)...  It's 9 years old and still good as new! (thumbsup)i

Crystalbeth

feed grass said:
I can't think of a reason to make the "ultimate" show trailor any less than 7.5' wide-- prefer 8'.  If you can't stack them in there sideways- even the big cows-- then you're not wide enough. 

I guess though these dumpy short bodied show steers could be stacked in a 6' though.

How many red Angus xJersey ? Based on NRCS criteria of course.

pjkjr4

I have an Elite 7.5'X24'X6' tall with the 4' dressing room in the front. I was going to order an 8X24X6 1/2 tall, until I found this one. It was a holdover from the year before. My wife didn't care what I got, but was insistent on the dressing room for the kids to change in, luggage, food, etc. If I had it to doo over again, the only thing that would change would be instead of 7.5 wide, it would be 8, and it would be 24' of floor space instead of the 20' that I have now. Very seldom do we ever have more than 2 steers, but all the tack takes up so much room, that the 2 steers can still be a little too tight when we get close to the end. I've never heard someone tell me that they wish their trailer, barn, house, etc was smaller!!

okiegirl

We just bought a new Calico, that we had specked out.  20ft with 4ft tack/dressing room.  Extra wide door on tack room for showbox and ramps to get it in and out.  Enough room to haul 4 steers, or 2 steers and put the fans and other stuff in one section.  Tie outs inside and low on one outside of the trailer.  We just bought a new Ford F150 with the Ecoboost.  I hauled out big steer (1100 lb) to the vet last week and got 16.5 mpg! <rock>

showsteerdlux

I just took delivery of a custom 28 x 8 Elite. I'll post pictures when i get a chance but it has everything you could ask for plus some.

angus214

We have a Sundowner 8x32. It has exta lights tie rails inside and outside. Ours has full back door w/slide in it and a full rear ramp. It has the thick rubber mats and when we bought it I thought it may be a little big but it is just right for us. If I could change anything on it I would have put butterfly doors on the back.

Simmgal

We just recently converted an old toy hauler camper into a bovine hauler! We line the back with mats, tarps and bedding and shovel it out after a show. Works good for long shows because there is a lot of extra room for people since it used to be an actual camper! Probably not the best idea if you have other resources, but it gets the job done for us!

angus214

The Sundowner is pretty tuff. I have owned Sundowners for about 17 years and have had great luck with them both Livestock and horse trailers.

I-69cc

Thanks for all the input! The toy hauler is an awsome idea, Ive often thought that would ideal for shows cant believe someone hasnt tried to market that

RankeCattleCo

I've seen some cattle trailors with pop up style beds that stick out, the soft ones that colapse for moving and storing.  Just saw the outside though, not the inside...

herfluvr

Here is a nice one.  Check out the Elite trailers.  Built great and company started by guys that left another brand becasue they didn't want to build a lesser quality trailer.  great welds and quailty construction and materials.  BIL sells trailers.  Stay away from Sundowner.

http://www.elitetrailers.com/detail.asp?ID=385740