Unbreakable Steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Boomerleigh

I think I have found the unbreakable steer. This is my son's 4th show steer and I used to show steers as well as a child. We got his the September "23 born steer at the end of February and he has been consistently worked with and tied up almost daily. The steer is still super super skittish and when we try to lead him he either plants all four hooves and refuses to move or he absolutely explodes and tries to attack whoever is trying to lead him. He yanks his head down and then tries to ram you with his head (he's pinned all of us at one point another) and he makes guttural noises like he means business. I ordered Peace Pellets for him and they are supposed to arrive this week and I'm hoping once he has something to take the edge off he'll realize we are not trying to torture him every time we lead him. He's okay when he is tied up in the stall but still super skittish and he does kick from time to time. He also constantly paws at the ground and it drives me insane as shavings are always flying. Any recommendations? Ideas? Help?

Jive Turkey

I think I have found the unbreakable steer. This is my son's 4th show steer and I used to show steers as well as a child. We got his the September "23 born steer at the end of February and he has been consistently worked with and tied up almost daily. The steer is still super super skittish and when we try to lead him he either plants all four hooves and refuses to move or he absolutely explodes and tries to attack whoever is trying to lead him. He yanks his head down and then tries to ram you with his head (he's pinned all of us at one point another) and he makes guttural noises like he means business. I ordered Peace Pellets for him and they are supposed to arrive this week and I'm hoping once he has something to take the edge off he'll realize we are not trying to torture him every time we lead him. He's okay when he is tied up in the stall but still super skittish and he does kick from time to time. He also constantly paws at the ground and it drives me insane as shavings are always flying. Any recommendations? Ideas? Help?
Get a donkey and tie him to it.

looking4champions

How is this steer bred (sire x dam). You need to go back to the basics. Leave him tied up for a few hours. Preferably he should be tied up so he cannot move side to side. Get a bucket with water, dip a rice root brush in it and brush him all over where you can. Every day. Start on his head, withers and under his neck, brisket area. Then work toward brushing under his belly and legs. He will learn to respect the halter, that comes with tying him up. You just need to get him to trust you (people). The more you interact with him the better. It takes patience and daily interaction!!!! Good Luck!!!!!

When we have steers that have a really bad attitude we tie them up and just rinse them with a water hose for a couple hours every day for a few days sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but usually it helps

TexasRedsAndShorties

The only thing that will ever truly stick is working with it you’ve definitely been doing everything right! So that’s good let him cool off a few days you don’t wanna piss him off but I’d KEEP a breaking halter on him in his small pen (if you have a run) this gives him the illusion that at any given time he can and will be caught and he needs to recognize that cause all you gotta do is grab the halter one of my heifers used to be so horribly spooky it made me mad she wouldn’t sit still wouldn’t relax and would jump around and all that crazy nonsense when I would take her out to walk her she wasn’t really rude just nervous she was a bad kicker though when I blew her it’s good to recognize the difference between one who is kicking because they are scared and one who is kicking because they know that will get you to leave them alone how I broke her of her bad habits? Anytime she would do something I really didn’t like I would give a FIRM jerk on the halter and make her spin in circles (almost got kicked a few times 😂 because they are TIGHT circles) as for kicking tie their heads up on a stout treelimb stand back tie a feed bag onto your show stick with hay twine and have fun getting back at them weave it all between their legs and when they stop kicking give them some lovin on their briskets and necks and REWARD THEM FOR BEHAVIOR YOU WANT TO SEE MORE OF! work them with the show stick off halter it is possible they still liked being scratched!