Underdog stories

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dozer45

Been having kind of a setback year this year. As a young lady trying to break into the cattle industry it can get very disheartening and I could use a little pick me up to remind me that today struggles lead to tomorrows success. I thought I would start a feel good thread so share any underdog stories where you guys were just about ready to throw in the towel but kept doing anyway and overcame a challenge or situation.

Thanks all 

cowboy_nyk

This cattle business thing has a way of beating you down.  In a way I think it's good.  Only the ones who truly want to do this will stay the course and keep working until things start to go their way.  I have a young guy who helps me show and he was a bit disappointed with how his cattle placed this year and I shared this with him:

We purchased 6 yearling angus heifers in 1999.  We attended our first major fall show (with Angus) in 2008 with 8 head of cattle.  We got last or second last in every single class.  My parents told me I was wasting my time and money.  I went back and used what I learned from that experience.  4 years later we had 5 class winners, Reserve Junior Champion Female, Senior Champion Female, Junior Champion bull, and were premier exhibitor. I've been fortunate to have maintained a high level of success showing and last fall, 6 years after that first attempt, we won Champion Female at 3 major shows (including a National show) with a cow that was part of that first show string in 2008. 

Don't let the ups and downs get to you.  It's never as bad or as good as you think it is!

Bradenh

We bought my little brother a heifer last year and he wanted to haul jackpots

We were 2 out of 3 at the small jackpots and 5th out of 6 at the bigger ones every time we went

Turn around for ft worth- second out of 22, and same for San antonio and Houston

Just go on to the next one

My senior year showed a charolais cow, Christi Collins put her dead last in her class at ft worth, 2 weeks later she was reserve senior at San antonio