Unwalkable Steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cattle_Rookie

I have had a steer now for 4 months, I have this steer broke to tie but am unable to walk him. This steer in super quiet, almost to the point of to quiet. When I am able to get him out behind the tractor he walks fine. It is anytime that he is not on the tractor he will not walk. Does anybody have any tricks to get him to walk?

ruhtram

Are you walking next to him while hooked to the tractor? That's how we did it, to attempt to trick them into thinking we were leading them.

Diamond

I tie mine to an older cow if they are still a reasonable size, if they are bigger then behind our farm truck with another person driving and my and on the halter.

rf21970

If you have 2 steers tie them together. Metal halter? Have someone walk behind him and pop his heels with a buggy whip?

A change of scenery will help. If you are walking him in his "home" pen. Get him out in the yard or open pasture.

vc

Tie him up and make him walk to feed and water, start with it close enough that he can see it and smell it, then move it farther away each time until it is in a different location all together. If he does not walk he does not eat or drink, he does what you want to get what he wants.
As state, different scenery can help.
We train them to setup in a similar manner, between the stall and the kick-out pen they have to set up before they get turned loose, it is amazing how fast they figure out the faster they cooperate the faster they get to go be free.

AAOK

vc said:
Tie him up and make him walk to feed and water, start with it close enough that he can see it and smell it, then move it farther away each time until it is in a different location all together. If he does not walk he does not eat or drink, he does what you want to get what he wants.
As state, different scenery can help.
We train them to setup in a similar manner, between the stall and the kick-out pen they have to set up before they get turned loose, it is amazing how fast they figure out the faster they cooperate the faster they get to go be free.

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]VC's is the only reply you should read!  The first thing you did wrong was forcing an animal to do something unnatural.  NEVER, NEVER use force to train an amimal!  [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size]

Davidsonranch

I like to use a method similar to working a horse.  Put on the pressure and as soon as the steer lifts his foot to take a "forced step" release the pressure.  Do it over and over again, even if you only move 5 feet in a 15 min session.  Some steers get it that if you tug hard for them to move they get a release of pressure.  Goal is to get them to understand so they move with you instead of "dragging" them around everywhere.

Timber1

We were in the exact same situation with our current steer. Do NOT use hot shot, tried that and got steer mad and my butt kicked! Very much agree with donkey, that worked great for us. The donkey along with keeping the steer tied for longer sessions than normal. And lots of patience. It took us 5 months to get him walking. Good luck!!