upcoming shows in MI, OH, IN?

Help Support Steer Planet:

roycattle

Hoosier beef congress is not a great time unless you like to waste time and money!!!  I live 1 hour north of indy and we are not showing there this year.  Go to badger or wait and go to any shows in Ohio alot less money and alot more showring experience.

farmerboy317

theres' the Michigan state winter beef show in early December and i think it is only $30/per head to get in i think

Hoosier

roycattle said:
Hoosier beef congress is not a great time unless you like to waste time and money!!!  I live 1 hour north of indy and we are not showing there this year.  Go to badger or wait and go to any shows in Ohio alot less money and alot more showring experience.

Well the big thing for me is that Indy is about 2 and a half hours away, it's at least 8 hours to WI, and i'm at least as far from Ohio as I am Indy.  As far as the money, I don't expect to go to a show and make money, but an extra hundred in entry fees and bein able to stay at a friend's house 20 minutes from the fairgrounds is a lot cheaper than and a hotel room for 3 nights and the extra fuel to travel to OH or WI.  That being said, I think I'm gonna show at HBC cause I've always had a good time there and I think it's one of the best shows and facilities around. I'm also not so hot on the "no fit" rule in Ohio, kinda takes some of the fun out of showin to me!

amss101

I did some figuring last night too If I added up the badger/hbc entry fee's plus fuel from where I'm at, it saved me $6 to go to hbc, but saved 5 hours one way on time.  And last year my girls had tons of show ring time.  We showed showmanship Fri. night again twice on Sat. and both steers on Sun.  We were wore out.  That was as much as I wanted in one weekend.  Fingers crossed will do that good this year.  With three kids showing, I'm sure we'll get tired of the show ring.  By the way, Good luck to your sister and your friend, Hoosier.

amss101

But thanks too anyone posting shows, I always like to know where we can go and which ones are good ones.  I saw that they posted the show in Princeton, In. for Feb. 14th and 15th.  It's a COLD one to go too.

Hoosier

Thanks amss101, good luck to you and your kids too! And if you are planning on going to Princeton we may have to try to meet up sometime. I will definitely be there, regardless of the weather (35 minutes from my house)!

amss101

Look forward to seeing you there, its funny reading the post about everyone else meeting and they're all so far from us.  We need to get our own SP meetings going here in the mid-west.  Good luck to you at Princeton also.  Last year was our first year attending.  Is it usually a good show?

Hoosier

Yeah, usually the numbers aren't too high but the quality runs deep.  I have been really impressed the last couple of years. I really like the show, being in one building, really cuts down on confusion on when your class is going to make up and such, it's easy to hear what's goin on. Also the fact that they can close the doors to cut the wind really helps (especially steer day last year!)

inthebarnagain

If you are going to the Beef Congress, be sure to take all the ringworm preventatives for the calves, preferably a feed through and respiratory illness preventative (plenty of vitamins!) for the people and calves.  That place is filthy. 

About the Princeton show, last year was our first year there and we only showed heifers.  The heifer numbers were double what they were the year before we were told.  It was a very nice show, I heard it got brutally cold the next day though for the steers. 

Hoosier

Yeah it was blisterin cold steer day...about 30-35 degrees and 25 mph winds if i remember right.  I don't think you could've asked for nicer February weather for the hiefers last year..I helped a friend fit about 10 head outside and i only had on a long sleeved shirt.  That southern Indiana weather can sure change quick!!