UPDATED - 2 problems with steer(s)

Help Support Steer Planet:

AAOK

RuffoniSisters said:
AAOK said:
My best guess is a Vitamin and/or Mineral deficiency.  Do you know what these are in your ShowRite?  You might try feeding an equal, dry mix of Cracked Corn, Whole Oats, and Cottonseed Hulls top dressed with a couple ounces of QUALITY mineral.  KISS Theory!

This is the info from the online website -  Show Rite --Steer Throttled Up
Crude Protein, min 12.0%
Crude Fat, min  4.0%
Crude Fiber, max  8.0%
Calcium (Ca) 0.5 - 1.0%
Phosphorus (P),  0.3%
Salt (NaCl)  0.3 - 0.8%
Potassium (K), min 0.7%
Vitamin A, min 5,000 IU/lb
Vitamin D, min 500 IU/lb
Vitamin E, min 115 IU/lb

in the pen they also have a selenium mineral block as well as a white salt block

Karma 7
PositiveNegative

View ProfileEmailPersonal Message (Online)

Re: Help needed - 2 problems with steer(s)

« Reply #18 on: Today at 08:16:48 AM »

Reply with quoteModifyRemoveSplit Topic

Take this advice from obie105:

Sure champ is made by vita ferm. Vita ferm has a whole line of minerals and feed additives. We feed sure champ year round. I totally believe in it. We were feeding it back before it was popular at the national level lol. Vita charge is a paste.  It really helps keeping them on feed and their gut working correctly.

CAB

RuffoniSisters said:
Corn fed12 said:
This is a long shot but you sound desperate for help. Im no vet but i would take your calf thats not eating to your state vet. They will have a good idea whats causing this. Would he have gotten into metal or anything? You could try putting a magnet im him. It would only be a couple bucks. I can only guess. PM i may have an idea for u. Good luck!!!
  Cornfed12 - I have PM'd you. Also I dont believe they could have gotten into any metal we try to keep everything organized and clean.. we did put up a new fence this fall maybe some wire or scrap got burried in the woodchips or someone didnt clean up because there are others that have calves in pastures around us.. Does a magnet have any negative side effects? This calf also is not good with touching his face or with any paste or liquid in syringes,, but if this could be an issie and a magnet would solve it I am open to looking into it. Thank you

As far as the metal deal, it may not necessarily be anything that you have done or have around your lots for them to find, but with all of the highly processed feeds through the feed mills, there sometimes gets to be metal inadvertently into a bag of feed. Your vet will be able to tell if the calf's stomach is working correctly by listening to it with a stethoscope. A magnet, IMO is as important as a good vaccination program. $2/3 will buy a magnet.

RuffoniSistersCattle

UPDATE: i did the math right now woth weight of gain
As of last night this calf weighed 647lbs 1/7/13 if he continues at this pace his average daily gain is 1.86lbs a day.... I was told i need to gain 3lbs a day.... We have 151 days to fair as of today 1/8/13 minimum weight to be accepted is 1,000 no max.

This is how desperate i am to get them eatibg^^

When they do eat: what is the best way to add fat and not burn them out

Vita ferm sure champ and probiotics I will do now and theought this process to keep the rumen going
What should i add or techniques to add fat- SRB, sullivans golden flow, calf mana protein

vc

Before you worry about fat and all of that other stuff, you need to get these calves eating and gaining. 647+( 151*1.89)=932 You need them to gain 2.34 pounds a day just to hit 1000 pounds.
I think if you get them eating 3% of their body you should be able to get the to gain plus. Try the things that have been suggested and see if you can get them eating. If things have not gotten any better by 3 weeks I would start looking  at other feed options. If you can find a feed they like and it eat, it is allot easier than trying to find a way to get them to eat feed they do not like.
Sometimes it is as easy as adding a little more molasses or adding dry mater (oats, or barley) to the feed. Sometimes it is the feed, check the dates on the bags, feed stores will keep feed from one season to the next, it gets stale and calves do not like it.

RSL Cattle Co.

Once the calves are back to eating regularly add some Sullivans Appetite Express to their feed, this will make them want to keep on eating and will make there manure less runny.

renegadelivestock

RuffoniSisters said:
renegadelivestock said:
try syringing some plain yogurt down his throught he may have ulcers, ulcers are a lot more comon than people think, and often go undiagnosed. the yogurt will help coat his guts and make them feel better, plus it is loaded with natural bacteria, and pro biotic cultures, which will stimulate appetite. once they start to eat,add a bit of salt to thier feed, this will help with water intake.

renegadelivestock - Okay thank you, when they get to eating and cleaning up grain on a consistent basis I will defenitley add some salt. Would less than a teaspoon be appropriate?

If it is stomach ulcers what are the causes of this as well as what do i look for as symptoms? We can give them some plain yogurt, does this have the same effect as a probios paste or powder? Or does the yogurt have a similar yet different effect

i usually just throw a hand full of loose salt on top of their feed, calves with ulcers often back off of feed, grind thier teeth, excessive drool,they often act depressed, or listless, amongst other symptoms, the yogurt coats the guts as well as the probiotic qualities.

CAB

RuffoniSisters said:
renegadelivestock said:
try syringing some plain yogurt down his throught he may have ulcers, ulcers are a lot more comon than people think, and often go undiagnosed. the yogurt will help coat his guts and make them feel better, plus it is loaded with natural bacteria, and pro biotic cultures, which will stimulate appetite. once they start to eat,add a bit of salt to thier feed, this will help with water intake.

renegadelivestock - Okay thank you, when they get to eating and cleaning up grain on a consistent basis I will defenitley add some salt. Would less than a teaspoon be appropriate?

If it is stomach ulcers what are the causes of this as well as what do i look for as symptoms? We can give them some plain yogurt, does this have the same effect as a probios paste or powder? Or does the yogurt have a similar yet different effect

It's your choice, but if your calves are on some type mineral mix that includes salt, that salt is actually used quite often used to limit feed intake. Also if they have clean fresh water available to them, that should be sufficient. To make them drink more water than that would seem to me to be counter productive. Water has 0 net energy. So if they are full on water they will eat less. In saying all of that, less than all of the water that they naturally want can be the first limiting feed intake. By that I mean if you take all water away from a calf, eventually the calf will virtually quit eating.

AAOK

Don't ration water. Don't add salt. Get a high quality Mineral, and feed as directed.

KSanburg

I don't know what your calves have had done or what the breeder told you he had done, but I would start by giving them all of their calf hood vaccinations. What type of hay are you feeding? If it's alfalfa stop, get them a good clean stemy grass hay, feed them all they will eat. I would also give them a sulfur bolus, get them feeling well and back on feed then worry about the pasterns popping. I would also consider giving them a shot of C&D antitoxin, they could have some intertoximia from the grains or nitrate problems. I know there are all of these feed supplements that are supposed to help but if their system is screwed up adding these things can make it worse. As someone said previously KISS!

RuffoniSistersCattle

Mtnman said:
I don't know what your calves have had done or what the breeder told you he had done, but I would start by giving them all of their calf hood vaccinations. What type of hay are you feeding? If it's alfalfa stop, get them a good clean stemy grass hay, feed them all they will eat. I would also give them a sulfur bolus, get them feeling well and back on feed then worry about the pasterns popping. I would also consider giving them a shot of C&D antitoxin, they could have some intertoximia from the grains or nitrate problems. I know there are all of these feed supplements that are supposed to help but if their system is screwed up adding these things can make it worse. As someone said previously KISS!
They are getting a quality grass hay and oat hay, free access to clean fresh hay 24/7. What is the C&D anttitoxin you mentioned? What would cause nitrate or intertoxima from grain? Thank you for your help!

Diamond G

our steer wouldnt eat either but we made a mix of 1 bucket 12% pellets, 1/2 bucket of 12% sweet feed, 1/2 bucket of soaked corn and now he eats well and his ADG is 3lbs/day. he also has free choice mineral and bahia hay

bruiser

Hi ladies, just cruising thru SP and updated myself on your post. If your calves aren't eating up to par by now, it's time to get serious. My opinion is to go back to the basics, a rolled corn and a concentrate pellet along with good grass hay. First things first go outside tonite and drain and clean out your waterer. Build up of feed ,hay , leaves ,etc. make the water pretty nasty. Then go to your feed supplier and get a basic grower ration for cattle. This ration along with a trace mineral ( loose or compressed block) will have everything needed to make a healthy steer grow like God intended. All the other additives probably aren't needed. Just remember there are alot of clubby bred calves that are just plain " hard doers" and all the "GEE WHIZZ" feed additives in the world will not change that. Remember to ask a local cattleman for advice on locally grown hay that will work for you.