Updated Pictures of the Steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

CameronW

Hes an early February Unstoppable registered Maine. The first picture is the day I brought him home in August and the other two are from today. I think I might take him to a show at the end of the month. What do you all think of him?
Thanks, Cameron

Attachments

• 100MEDIA$IMAG0949.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG0949.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 100MEDIA$IMAG1116.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG1116.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 100MEDIA$IMAG1118.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG1118.jpg
    903.3 KB · Views: 202

Telos

That's a darn nice calf. He looks ready for a show. Take it easy with him and don't get him stressed. Tell us how he does.

Gargan

I really like your steer. He seems to have all the right pieces. His flex in his rear pasterns are ideal in my mind. Great middle to him also. I think he will do well for u!!

CameronW

Thank you. He is really getting hairy and deep. I hope to do well with him at the show. My only worry is that he is a little pushy when leading and not super keen on standing still. Right now he is the better looking of my two but I think when it comes county and state time my little one will be on top. I'll get pictures up of him in a week or so.

CameronW

I am going to give him melatonin for his hair. Will that help him with his attitude? He tends to be pushy on the halter.

Melatonin will take down his attitude. Don't use it for extended periods of time as he will build a resistance to it and it won't do anything. Put the melatonin in his feed about 6 hours and then 4 hours before you show and he'll be good. Just don't give him too much, if you do he'll be sluggish and asleep in the ring.

CameronW

What is the dosage for the steer. Its mainly for hair and kind of for the attitude.

Tallcool1

Cameron

First thing I would like to say is that you are doing a good job feeding that little dude.  He looks good.  You have got some belly on him, and that is a sign of good things to come!

I realize that you may have tied him like that just to take pictures, but if you always tie him like that I would advise you to not.  If you are having attitude issues with him, tie him very close.  Only give him about 4" of slack when you have him tied standing so that he cant move around much.  That will help you a lot with him not wanting to stand still.

The other thing I want to point out is that it is early.  Before you start him on any medication, just give him time.  Keep working with him.  Keep leading him around.  Get the show stick on him.  Mess with him.  Find his "sweet spot" with that show stick.  Find that spot where he just loves to be scratched, and when you scratch him there he will stop dead in his tracks.  I would really urge you to not start him on any kind of Melatonin supplement early in the winter.  You will have hair problems like you have never seen if you do.

CameronW

Tallcool thanks for the advise. He is a little hot headed when I lead him so I want to get him on melatonin to slightly take the edge off of him for a couple days prior to the show. He was tied like that so I could clip on him. I usually don't tie his head so high and that loose. I think he will do well as long as I can keep him calm enough. If I get my heifer in time he will go to the show Friday night and show on Sunday morning as the heifers show on Saturday. And I want him calm for the trailer ride and the waiting up there.

vc

If you want to give him the melatonin for the ride and the show, start him on 100 mg or 33-3mg pills the night before you leave, I would feed him the same during the show. If he does well on that dose keep him there if he is to lethargic cut him back about 10 pills, if it helps but need a little more, bump him up 10 pills or feed him 20 more in the morning of the show. Each animal is different I have seen where 50 mg helps one and it takes 150 for the next and in a few cases it just doesn't help at all.