URGENT PLEASE HELP-Update and pic

Help Support Steer Planet:

box6rranch

We have a cow who's due date is Sunday. She's very coned, teets are full. When she's laying down this is what we are seeing and we have no idea what it is. Last calf she had a twisted uterus and we had to take her to the vet to untwist. Anyone know what this is????

Attachments

• Lexie.jpg
    Lexie.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 228

spb

Did you palpate her to she what was going on? If it isn't a hoof, looks to be the tongue maybe! I would check her or take her to the vet soon.

TDR Simmentals

I had a cow do that every year before she calved.  Vet said to just watch her to make sure she didn't prolapse when she calved, but we never had any problems.  Just keep an eye on her.

SKF

It looks like a hoof to me. I would get your vet out to check her.

zak

Looks like a hoof to me. Somtimes a calf that has a white hoof will be pink when it's born.

GoWyo

Looks like it could be an upside down hoof -- breech calf?  Try to see whether it is right side up or upside down.

JSchroeder

By right side up, they mean the bottom of the hoof should be on the bottom.  The pic looks like the bottom of the hoof may be pointing up.

Show Heifer

Looks too soft and pink to be a hoof, also no blood or discharge. I would vote for vaginal tissue that just looks funny. That being said, I would "investigate" but lubing my hand and feeling around.  It should be easy to tell the difference between a hoof and soft tissue.
If you are not comfortable "investigating" I would either find someone who can do it for you, or call a vet. Losing a calf isn't worth procrastination!!

Good luck and let us know.

husker1

I thought at first you guys were kidding....but now I think you are serious.

I'd say Show Heifer nailed it....just tissue.  Full term calf inside causing pressure, along with the cow probably being plenty fat.  Very common. 

Might just back her down on feed a notch so she's not so full.

Happy 4th to all!

JSchroeder

No way to know without getting hands on it but with the shadow and low resolution, ruling out a hoof due to color is pretty hard to do.  There are what appear to be two claws and to the right of it the bulge would indicate the other hoof as well.

justintime

I think it looks like a partial vaginal prolapse. Most cows that have these calve uneventful and you only see this prior to calving again. Some will get worse with age, but normally they are not any problem. They are not real common but I had one several years ago that looked similar, and my vet said she would probably calve and have no issues with it. She did this for several years and always calved by herself with no problems. It is usually caused by some of the muscles that hold the vagina in place getting weak which allows some of the vaginal wall to push out especially when the cow lies down. These are totally different than an Uterine prolapse which usually requires to be stitched and usually causes problems with each calving.

mooch

justintime said:
I think it looks like a partial vaginal prolapse. Most cows that have these calve uneventful and you only see this prior to calving again. Some will get worse with age, but normally they are not any problem. They are not real common but I had one several years ago that looked similar, and my vet said she would probably calve and have no issues with it. She did this for several years and always calved by herself with no problems. It is usually caused by some of the muscles that hold the vagina in place getting weak which allows some of the vaginal wall to push out especially when the cow lies down. These are totally different than an Uterine prolapse which usually requires to be stitched and usually causes problems with each calving.

Bingo, except I don't think they are that rare especially when the cow s full of feed  and laying around. The cows that do it usually do it every year , have never found it to be a big deal. Don't go poking and prodding her probably do more harm then good.Juswt keep an eye on it.

justintime

I am going to venture a guess and say that unless this cow has an abnormally big calf, she will calve and this prolapse issue will be of no concern. It probably will appear every year but I would say she will calve normally.

box6rranch

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. We did have the vet out yesterday. She said that the uterus is not twisted and she could feel a head, and the calf was alive. The cow's uterus was fully open. We are still just watching her. Nothing yet. The tissue ball only shows up when she's laying down. When the vet came she was standing so she didn't get to see it and she couldn't figure out what it was from the picture either. I tend to think it's tissue from the vaginal wall bulging. She's really not fat, hasn't been on grain since we showed her two years ago.
Hoping she will calf tomorrow since it's my husband's day off!!! Ours tend to calve in the early am. I'll keep you all posted.
thanks again!

farmboy

We had a cow do this with no problems. Her gut is too full and it pushes that bit of tissue out the rear end like a big balloon.