US Farm Bill

Help Support Steer Planet:

Okotoks

Levi VM said:
Never trust anything CNN has to say.
Never trust anything Tom Vilsack has to say. 
So the expiry of the farm bill is a good thing?

knabe

"The five-year farm bill, which aids farmers with price protections and subsidies"

farmers that claim they are republican or conservative yet want price protections and subsidies are lying to themselves.

they should lead by example, then they would have some credibility.

perhaps also, the "new york" farmers would get out, lowering the pressure on land prices.

the farm bill and everything it is built on is just like JIT's example in the other thread.

RyanChandler

knabe said:
"The five-year farm bill, which aids farmers with price protections and subsidies"

farmers that claim they are republican or conservative yet want price protections and subsidies are lying to themselves.

perhaps also, the "new york" farmers would get out, lowering the pressure on land prices.

the farm bill and everything it is built on is just like JIT's example in the other thread.

Exactly! Farmers are the biggest welfare recipients in this country.  Let all these subsidies expire and then a real price equilibrium reflecting the intrinsic value of their product can be formed. 

justintime

I think any country should value the importance of their food producers and their food supply. I think government in many countries have forgot how important this is. Here in Canada, I sometimes think our government could care less about agriculture and they " assume" that food will always be available from a variiety of sources. Our government seems to decide policy as to how many potential voters are involved, and unfortunately, Canadian agriculture does not make up many votes. They are also fortunate in that most of Canadian agriculture is based in Western Canada where the present government is pretty safe, as they receive most of the electoral seats anyways.

The US farm bill oftentimes puts Canadian farmers at risk as we do not have  similar policy here, but that does not make it wrong. In Britain and many other European countries, people in agriculture are considered the elite of society. They have a pile of government red tape and policies in their lives, and all the farmers there complain about it, but i believe they have it pretty good.

Agriculture does not make up much of the GNP of our countries as it once did, however, any government that takes it for granted is making a graveous error, in my opinion. Farming has become a very big business today, and without some kinds of safety net, it has an incredicble amount of risk involved. All of society has to accept the fact that as  nation, part of this risk has to be carried by the general public through such things as government subsidized insurance etc. I would suggest many communities would look like ghost towns if these programs had not been in place after the devastating drought of 2012.

I am a big believer in a free enterprise system, however, a national food supply has to be number one when governments decide on policies./

GONEWEST

I had read about the $7-$8 a gallon milk prices several other places. If there was no new farm bill the price support for milk would go back to being based on a formula used in 1949 and not adjusted for anything since then.

The agriculture subsidy most likely to have a large negative impact on our economy in the future is the ethanol mandate.

knabe

justintime said:
The US farm bill oftentimes puts Canadian farmers at risk

when canadian research institutions get a grant from the US, the canadian government typically matches the grant.  canadian genome centers have participated in many important grants and research projects such as the human genome project, the mammalian gene project, ENCODE, and countless others.  generally good people.

knabe

GONEWEST said:
based on a formula used in 1949 and not adjusted for anything since then.

get rid of that formula as well.  why shouldn't milk prices be variable according to fluctuating costs?  there is no reason the government continually needs to interfere.  we could even fire the people who are involved and they could work in the private sector.

knabe

justintime said:
and without some kinds of safety net, it has an incredicble amount of risk involved.

incredible reward is involved as well.  without insurance, producers will prepare for a rainy day and change their behavior.

i've known several people who reduced the cost to purchase a combine by following the harvest.  others construct on farm storage of grain.

let me see.  farmers are supposed to be pretty resourceful right?  maybe not, it might just be a rumor.

nate53

knabe said:
justintime said:
and without some kinds of safety net, it has an incredicble amount of risk involved.

incredible reward is involved as well.  without insurance, producers will prepare for a rainy day and change their behavior.

i've known several people who reduced the cost to purchase a combine by following the harvest.  others construct on farm storage of grain.

let me see.  farmers are supposed to be pretty resourceful right?  maybe not, it might just be a rumor.
Knabe when are you going to start farming?  I mean with that incredible reward involved?  How many good years in a row would it take to withstand 2 or 3 three total loss years with no safety net (for the medium sized producer)?  Are you encouraging the development of more mega operations?  The mega's can withstand some bad years especially if they are smart, and a lot of them are.

Brice8

-XBAR- said:
knabe said:

Exactly! Farmers are the biggest welfare recipients in this country.   Let all these subsidies expire and then a real price equilibrium reflecting the intrinsic value of their product can be formed. 
If you think farmers don't need subsidies you are an ignorant fool. Farming is the most high risk business in this control. Everything relies on mother nature which is the one thing that no person can control. Farmers are at the complete mercy of mother nature and can experience many years of drought of floods which ruin crops. Without subsidies most people wouldn't become farmers because of the risks of loosing everything in a bad year. And just so you know farm subsidies only account for one-tenth of 1 percent of the United States budget. Farmers on the only businessmen in America that buy everything at retail sale everything at wholesale and pay the shipping both ways and you say they don't deserve subsidies? America has to have its farmers without them we wouldn't have enough food to feed ourselves and we would have to begin important food sprayed with dangerous chemicals that have been outlawed in the U.S. Without subsidies no farming operations would be able to survive during bad years and when there are no farmers everyone is naked and hungry.

knabe

so why should some people get subsidies and some don't?

the farming/ranching infrastructure is still evolving from the big mistake john wesley powell admitted to when he suggested homesteads be 160 acres west of the continental divide. 

if farms need to be bigger, or located in more places, so be it.  many ranchers in california also own/rent/lease property in oregon to mitigate drought.

ranchers used to move cattle by train routinely.

all kinds of solutions are out there.

perhaps part of the problem is that land prices are too high to sustain a drought?

well then, remove the speculative value of development.  lots of ways to skin this cat.

i used to mope that small farm towns were/are/did die.

they were set up on a false premise that productivity would not improve.

should we force lower productivity and mandate more hand labor?

dutch pride

I am by no means and expert and ag does not significantly contribute to my income. I was told by my grandpa many moons ago that price subsidies (milk in particular) were install by the government to ensure the population with a cheap, reliable supply of milk. They want to make sure that dairy farmers made just enough money to stay in business. That way there would always be a ready supply of milk. If the supply side is always there the demand side will never exceed it and therefore price would never climb out of reach of the average citizen.

Not sure if that still makes sense in today's situation with less and larger dairies but make you think, doesn't it?

DLZ

dlc

farmers are directly effected by trade agreements, tariffs and embargos

Aussie

showsteer88 said:
-XBAR- said:
knabe said:

Exactly! Farmers are the biggest welfare recipients in this country.   Let all these subsidies expire and then a real price equilibrium reflecting the intrinsic value of their product can be formed. 
If you think farmers don't need subsidies you are an ignorant fool. Farming is the most high risk business in this control. Everything relies on mother nature which is the one thing that no person can control. Farmers are at the complete mercy of mother nature and can experience many years of drought of floods which ruin crops. Without subsidies most people wouldn't become farmers because of the risks of loosing everything in a bad year. And just so you know farm subsidies only account for one-tenth of 1 percent of the United States budget. Farmers on the only businessmen in America that buy everything at retail sale everything at wholesale and pay the shipping both ways and you say they don't deserve subsidies? America has to have its farmers without them we wouldn't have enough food to feed ourselves and we would have to begin important food sprayed with dangerous chemicals that have been outlawed in the U.S. Without subsidies no farming operations would be able to survive during bad years and when there are no farmers everyone is naked and hungry.
How do farmers in Australia and New Zealand survive with no subsides at all. To us you all live in a fake economy. Why not let the world market set your prices and see how your production systems stack up with out subsidies and government insurance schemes. Not to say things are rosey here. Cheap imports of veggies form countries like china are ruining our cropping Industry with our government more concerned with cheap food for the people rather than the farming community

knabe

Easy to solve. Check for gmo technology used see if intellectual property was violated, test for pesticides used all at chinas expense.

They won't allow the EPA or whoever in but need to at least play by this rules. We also need to agitate for Property rights in china and to stop being such wimps when we deal with china. We also need to stop them from stealing our technology and we need to stop giving it away as well.